fuel Prices

Maybe I need to look into building my Propane engine. From what I've seen you can still get Propane cheaper than Gasoline (though they are measured/delivered in much different forms). I have the Datsun L20B propane manifold/carb setup, just don't have the tanks or lines but those can be acquired.

On the flip side I recently purchased (though have yet to be cleared for delivery) a vehicle that will run on just about any combustable liquid. It prefers Diesel though. Will run on WVO, like any decent Diesel, but it'd run on solvent, kero, jet fuel, gasoline, even filtered crude if you could get it (though I really wouldn't want to run stuff that volatile).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No he isn't.....cause almost all our oil is from overseas and they control the prices. have you heard of Hillary or Obama saying they will lower oil prices.....didn't think so, cause they cant. Its really up to the tree huggers that don't let us drill our own oil. Oil wont be gone for a very very long time. Its the second highest natural resource we have. Good old history channel.

I am going to pursue building a hydrogen car here soon. Water is cheap so using it as a fuel is the perfect solution. NO gases or emissions from your exhaust either. I also believe there is no "global warming"

Actually Hillary has stated that she would fight OPEC to lower prices. Of course she's full of $#@! and said a handful of flat out lies in the same sentence, but she said it.

Hydrogen is great and all, as is electricity, but we still require the energy to mass produce it for consumer use and right now all we're doing is offsetting the location of where the resources are consumed. More wind, hydro, and solar energy production is needed.

What are you guys complaining about?? You guys are driving some of the smallest cars and trucks, if you are really concerned about gas prices take out the hi po parts and go back to stockish hp #. Update your engines and make them as fuel efficent as possible.

I know no fun. But that is how I am dealing w/ the gas prices. Instead of driving the beast everyday. A 74 Ford Torrino W/ 351 clevland w/ cam and head work that gets 10 mpg w/ a strong tail wind. Weight bone dry is 4100 ish pounds, but that big Ford is all torque. I even am taking the monster off the road soon too. 92 3000 GT twin turbo w/ alot of upgrades. Her problem is a little better she only weighs in at around 3600 pounds, but w 550 injectors and alot of boost, that V6 is not that great at mpg. Never really tried to calculate it probably around 20 or so if I stay out of boost. No fun either, but since both those cars can only take premium, it can get expensive.

My next project car is a 88 Shelby CSX-T, smaller car and alot smaller engine. 2.2 liters of turbo fury. If I stay off boost it should get alot better mpg than either of my other 2 cars. I will try to tune her to run on that e 85 crap. Still cheaper but 100 octane sounds good.

Why don't you guys try that? Here in Vegas e-85 is cheaper, or maybe some one w/ a datsun laying around without a engine can find a old carbed diesel and try that bio-diesel? Even buying corn oil from the grocery store is still probably cheaper than the fuel prices. Besides how cool would that be, pushing a shopping cart out the store filled w/ oil. Going over to the old Ratsun and filling up the tank w/ corn oil. People looking at you funny, the old girl was bone dry, rolled in here on fumes.

Why don't you guys try that? Here in Vegas e-85 is cheaper, or maybe some one w/ a datsun laying around without a engine can find a old carbed diesel and try that bio-diesel? Even buying corn oil from the grocery store is still probably cheaper than the fuel prices. Besides how cool would that be, pushing a shopping cart out the store filled w/ oil. Going over to the old Ratsun and filling up the tank w/ corn oil. People looking at you funny, the old girl was bone dry, rolled in here on fumes.
Because that's not a solution either. Corn prices are up, going up, and bio-diesel is great for the one or two people out of hundreds/thousands who do it, but there isn't enough to go around.

I have considered the wvo in a datsun diesel.I almost bought a diesel 720 for $400 a while back.

I have a l18 in my 620 with a nice 210 head,stock unported intake,weber with the smallest jets lying around and a long tube header.It gets 28 mpg easy.Still has good power just that it doesnt have a wide range.Low end is better and it doesnt really matter how you drive it since it only does so much.I have also been experimenting with the 510 trying to baby the pedal and the mpg has gotten better but it is so gutless its hard not to stomp it.

There is no perpetual source of power but the cost of some is less drastic than some others.Electricity can be delivered to my doorstep free via cables whereas fuel will be delivered via fuel consuming vehicles.

YEah there is a guy around here looking to get out of a VW caddy diesel PU.

He claims it is currently getting 40-50 MPG. Not a Datto, but an eccentric little truck.

It is a daily driver, new master cylinder, new front calipers and pads, new rear brakes, new struts, front end from a 93 vw cabriolet, aluminum wheels, cabriolet leather/vinyl seats, carpet tie rod end etc.

I am sure it is pretty rusty though. (NEw England) But it isn't like I'd be trying to save it or baby it like the Datto.

I am half tempted! Hell if I switch my 521 to collector car ins for a little over $100 a year and daily insure this instead, the gas savings on the VW would prolly pay for itself!

DSCN0192.jpg

Because that's not a solution either. Corn prices are up, going up, and bio-diesel is great for the one or two people out of hundreds/thousands who do it, but there isn't enough to go around.

Okay, then come up w/ some great way to make electricity, Some back yard engineering may be the solution. The power companies are offering rebates if you install a solar system on your house. We looked into it, a friend who is a electrical contracter qouted me 40 grand to install everything, I forgot what the rebates were but it would pay for it self in like 12 years, plus no power bill, but since our house does not have a big power bill it is not worth it for us. You should look into it, maybe not a good idea in Washington. Or if you got land start building wind mills, maybe even small wooden ones w/ datsun alternaters. Build enough of them and get a contracter to tie it into the house. 12 volt alternater X how ever many you can build and on a windy day, it may be enough to stop the meter or actually get it to run backwards for a while. Who knows it may be the revolution that changes the world. Datto power :)

As for cars, the only way is either make the car as efficent as possible or find a alternate source of power. OH think a carbon fiber 510, weighs in at 1400 pounds gets 60 mpg and goes 0 - 60 in 2.6 seconds, all on a little L18

Wait a minute. You can't take more energy out of a system than you put in.

It will take as much energy to split the hydrogen and oxygen apart as is released when you burn it in a motor. The exhaust is... water. You can't run an engine and an alternator to make the electricity to make the hydrogen AND power a car. What you describe is perpetual motion. More than that... it's surplus free energy. It defies the conservation of energy law.

Mike, I have not the time to describe this but I am right......but you are free to guess why I am wrong:D There are a handful of cars running this system. The original designer of this system is dead...hmm guess why.

Fight OPEC...what a crock! About like when she had to run from sniper fire:lol:

I didn't say that its 100 percent efficient, but efficiency doesn't matter to a point, when the fuel source is cheap. I don't care what anybody thinks anyway. I will build it and use it in an L motor. It will obviously going to be allot of R&D on my part. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

dei.jpg

Hey Brian.

I remember that! :lol: What ever happened?

I read a lot of sci-fi and remember a story where there was a galactic competition between different worlds and races. The winners were usually humans (being tool builders anyway). In the competition a device would be shown to the contestants and they would examine it and had like two weeks to figure out how it was done and to make a working model.

Anyway another alien race wanted the humans to fail so they brought in their latest discovery, an anti gravity machine. The humans observed it in action as it floated above the ground and proceded to build one. It took the full two weeks with lots of mistakes and errors in theory but finally suceeded. And won the coveted prise for that year.

It turned out that the anti gravity machine was a fake and there was no such thing. The aliens were counting on humans failing. The humans, knowing it could be done.... simply .. did it.

If you know it won't work you are already beat. Positive attitude.

That comic is pointless....since a waste product from the hydrogen car is water. My idea isn't "my idea". It is a researched and fully developed source for alternative fuel vehicles that works. Don't worry Mike I took is as constructive I just had to poke back:D. As for hang_510, You can laugh all you want....but remember that day when your not, cause thats when I will be.

Sorry, but I am positive and the only way our lazy ass society can make new forms of energy is if someone steps out and tries, and theres no harm in that

I am positive and the only way our lazy ass society can make new forms of energy is if someone steps out and tries, and theres no harm in that

ABSOLUTELY!!! :thumbup:

all the crazy ideas were scoffed at initially.

some deserved it, some were executed for it.

he who :lol: last, :lol: loudest.

& im listening :mellow: