need help stuffing a trans

if i can get some help with this trans next saturday (yes its saint Patrick's day) i have two types of home brew here and i will pick up something else if you want' i can also get a pizza and if you want i can probably take you out to party at the pub in forest grove after. i just tweaked my back trying to do it alone and the weather sucks today....any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try getting some cribbing. Lots of foot long hunks of 2x4s. Tilt the front of the tranny up by pushing down on the tail and slip a piece under the body. Now lift the back up and slip another chunk under. Tranny is now 1 1/2" higher. Continue adding blocks. Transmission is tippy so you may have to re position and start again but eventually you can get it as high as you want. I've put 3-4 trannys in this way. Just get the front input spline started into the pressure plate to support the front and you can hold the tail up while shoving the 2x4s out of the way and get under it. Now the hard part.... wrestling it forward.

Fd, pm yor address, (arcadia??) I still have to get you that windshield any ways, but id like to kbow more about the work conditions, is the truck on jack stands, stacked tires, ramps, is it on gravel, dirt/mud, concrete? Direct replacement, or swap, is the trans the same model. Im a little over an hour away, but if you cant find any help i will deffenatly help, i know wgat its like to throw your back out.

set on chest slid under neath slide it on while holding it up wit your knee. thats how i did my last l series 5 speed by my self

Plus one for that put trans on chest, grab bellhousing with hands tailshaft with feet. Push tailshaft up past crossmember then move bellhousing up while at the same time rotating 90degrees then push onto motor after clearing the torsion bars.

Works like a charm, make sure you drain the trans first.

the main issue i am having is the e-brake cross member...yo have to put the tail piece in first then lift the front while sliding it back at the same time

red if you google the address in my sig you will get he joke of it

yello that would be cool for that fact we could drag it over to your place and do it....i am moving on the first so if its not done by then it has to go some place to finish

and mikey i can lift no problem it the cross member that is the issue

• Like 1

Cut 2 or 3 head bolts down long enough that you can screw them out after getting the transmission up there. They work well as alignment pins.

Excellent idea.

set on chest slid under neath slide it on while holding it up wit your knee. thats how i did my last l series 5 speed by my self

Good for the F4W63 a little harder for the 71B series.

Fast, i have plenty of jackstands too, if you need to borrow some. I have at least four unused ones right now.

And yes it kinda sucks how they have to go in, but i have done it several times. It can be done without moving the motor. Get that exhaust out of the way and it will be easy.

Are you going to change the clutch while you have it apart?

What time are you planning to get after it? I'm gonna be celebrating in the evening, but the earlier you plan it, the more likely I can come help you.

If you have the other trans out already, it should only take a few minutes. L-series transmissions are super light, so we could have it done quick-style.

Let me know.