Wont start w/ key...a starter issue?

I have an issue on my 72 wagon. Its a 3 speed auto on the floor, i have to start it buy turning the key to the "start" position then using a screwdriver "jump" the two terminals on the starter. Works every time but i also notice a rattling noise coming from the starter. Sounds like something is hitting the flywheel. It does goes away after it warms up. I remember Mklotz mentioning a part on the trans. that may cause an issue like this but cant rememebr that part name. A new starter is only $35 but i need to know if i need to replace anything else while im under the car. Thanks in advance...:cool:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a wiring issue. I would check that before you check anything. If the starter is not turning over when you turn the key to start, but it will when you jump it with a screwdriver, I would vote for a wiring issue. In regards to the rattling issue, I don't really know.

I would say get the wiring good then see if you need a new starter.

Well I would put it in Park and Neutral and pull the wire off and see if 12volts on start. what are the chances that 2 postiones of a switch are bad at the same time.

well anyway Pac Coast a true L motor guy would have a spare starter for troubel shooting.

Most likely its the selinoid on the starter. But I forgot about the automatics and yes it could be the switch. (Could always jump the wire to bypass the switch) if you know the color codes.

new starter is only $35 ????????

I think youll be doing that 35$starter soon enough.

yeah see if 12volt at starter wire when in PARK and Neutral.

I have heard of those offset L motor starters but never actually seen one.

When I was 1st into 510s when I got out of the Airforce I would get the Schucks Lifetime warrentee STARTERS. MPA brand rebuilt in Maylasia.

I changed 2 in 3 years and I was done with them.

I guess it just depends on who has the contract to rebuild them.

I know the Autolite rebuilds from Schucks are abit better at least for the alternators.

beck Arnely or Nissan is the way to go if getting off the shelf stock parts(Not including the GM saturn units)

I was reading on the jeep Cherokees that most of the NO START on them are just dirty contacks on the automatics

The BW transmission interlock switch is on the [American] driver's side and can be touchy. It can also break the cable if the engine mounts are worn and let the engine vibrate too much. It is usually covered with road gunk and hard to see let alone adjust. The adjustment is to rotate wih a continuity meter and set half way. I use the proceedure in the Chilton's "Datsun 1961 to 1972" manual, ISBN0-8019-5790-7 if you want to try to order it from a book store. It's the best manual I have found as far a authentic repair proceedures and excellent wiring schematics. You also may have a bum starter relay.

Sounds like a wiring issue. I would check that before you check anything. If the starter is not turning over when you turn the key to start, but it will when you jump it with a screwdriver, I would vote for a wiring issue. In regards to the rattling issue, I don't really know.

I would say get the wiring good then see if you need a new starter.

Sounds [no pun intended] like you have sheared off one of the legs on the shift fork that shoves the starter gear into contact with the flywheel teeth. The rattling sound is what's left of the broken fork being turned into chips.

I vote keep the screw driver method.

Always think of the worst case scenario. It's dark and you stall in the middle of an intersection or RR tracks.

Ill try that tomorrow. The wiring on the car looks to be untouched/stock. Where is the shifter switch located?

The inhibit switch is on the drivers side just back from the bell housing on the top end of the shifter lever where the shift rod joins it. It is a small harness with four wires two for reverse lights and two for the inhibit. The two Black/Yellow wires have to be connected by the switch in P or N. If either wire is off or broken it wont turn over. (the Red/Black wires are for the reverse lamps)

• 1 month later...

Ok found the switch & the wires going to it. I was told by a very reliable source that i can bypass the switch by removing one of the wires & connecting it to the "start" terminal on the back of the ignition switch. Question is..what wire [of the 2 blk & yellow wires] do i run up to the ig. switch ?

I know.:D

I used to have an old early '60s Valliant and I disconnected the interlock. Kind of interesting to have it in drive and hit the starter and as soon as it fires up it's movin'. It had a push button automatic. On the left side of the dash were a row of vertical buttons like an old car radio, weird.