Cross country trip checklist help.

In a few short months (July) I will be packing my ass up and moving from North Idaho to Bangor, Maine. 2,947 miles are going to be put on the 620 in a one way trip there. Loaded down with my few posessions, and a small trailer for some overflow things of my fiancee's and my rollcab toolbox.

SO i have spent the better part of the last 2 years I have owned this 620 upgrading everything to make it a more friendly driver. Ka swap, 4 wheel disc brakes, new shocks, new windshield for better visibility, upgraded heater fan and defrost ducting for better cold weather defrosting etc. I am just looking to compile a list of things that my Ratsun friends would check, or even replace, before the onset of this trip. Most of the drivetrain/driveability issues inherent to Datsun's are gone with the engine swap, but there are other issues that may arise (ecm failure, relay failure misc sensors). I will have an extremely comprehensive set of mechanics tools and equipment with me, since that is how I make my living, so fixing things on the fly shouldn't be a problem.

So lay it on me guys, give me an idea the things you would inspect/replace/service before heading out.

Thanks!

2011-08-09_16-53-57_390.jpg

2011-07-06_20-46-08_332.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say an extra clutch oh wait I wont be going to so scratch that. Seriously for the trip I would say make sure you have the basics; wiring crap, spare tire, misc. bulbs, and of course roadside assistance. If I think of more I will add. Atleast you are waiting till after Canby to make the drive.

CARRY TOOLS:

* 10mm combo wrench

* 12mm combo wrench

* reversible screwdriver (philips + straight)

* duct tape

* zip ties

I will have an extremely comprehensive set of mechanics tools and equipment with me, since that is how I make my living, so fixing things on the fly shouldn't be a problem.

I will have all of the necessary tools!

• Like 1

I say an extra clutch oh wait I wont be going to so scratch that. Seriously for the trip I would say make sure you have the basics; wiring crap, spare tire, misc. bulbs, and of course roadside assistance. If I think of more I will add. Atleast you are waiting till after Canby to make the drive.

Yeah Chet, I'm pretty sure he will make it cross country with his hood on as well :P

aside from the obvious jack, spare tire and tools...

I always pack various fluids, some wire and various connectors, if you have fusable links get some lengths of that too, extra fuses, my "random datsun bolts" bag lulz (its saved my ass more than once)

I will have an extremely comprehensive set of mechanics tools and equipment with me, since that is how I make my living, so fixing things on the fly shouldn't be a problem.

2011-07-06_20-46-08_332.jpg

If you're a wrench (as am I) then I'm certain you've already over-prepped for such a trip~ extra oil filter, drain plug, spark plugs -n- wire(s), fluids, tire plug kit, etc. Here's a space saver for you; pack a trailer wiring harness kit~ they're cheap, 20+ ft long and you can fix wiring anywhere on both truck -n-trailer -n- plugs, or use wire for whatever. Taking two spare tires (if room allows) buys you the liberty of fixing a flat at your convenience rather than the next stop possible~ but at the very least that plug kit mentioned above and a pump....

I had a deadline~ made 3k+ miles in three days~ but it was no fun and I was dead-ass tired when I got home. Don't make that mistake. Give yourselves some time (if possible) to stop -n- smell the roses on the way~ although there's little to see on US80 with detouring signifcantly off-course. The only thing I saw on my trip worthy of distraction was Bass Pro Shop's main headquarters.

The state of Ohio is one giant SPEEDTRAP~ smokies and remote radars abound everywhere~! I saw more cops there than the rest of my 3k mile trip combined..... Watch out for bigrigs coming up behind you really fast (since you're pullin a trailer)~ I found the rockin chair coming west to be at about 75-80, sometimes even more, and STILL had truckers occasionally passing me! Dudes must be keeping more than two logbooks...

One more thing~ everyone on the wrong coast drives like a kamikazi! It's like being in L.A. without the gang colors.... Give yourself (and the other guys) a lot of extra space~ your nerves, your paint job, and your fiance will thank you....

Peace~ and good luck~

Scott

anything wiring related, fuses cause you know to start wiith the fuses and go from there. duct tape, zap straps, gps, cell phone with free roaming with the phone numbers of all eastern ratsun members programmed in, gas can, bunjy cords air horn for all those blind drivers that decide to cut you off.

edit: coffee urn, not coffee pot or mug. Remember to practice the ratsun salute as you know it will come into use quite often.

I went from Seattle, Washington to Washington, DC (3100 miles) in July 2007 in a 510.

An extra gas can for fuel across Montana. Could go more then 200 miles without a gas station.

A cell phone and a AAA card.

A good cushion for your back.

A cooler full of drinks and ice. A washcloth to dip into the icewater to cool you off in the July heat. Amazing how much cooler you can feel with a nice damp ice cold rag rapped around your neck.

Lots of high energy snacks.

A roll of baling wire or coat hangers, duct tape and emergency plumbing tape that can stop a leaky hose. Extra fuses.

Good Music too.

Have a safe trip.

Most things you will need are along the highway and if you have new belts and hoses I doubt they will be a problem. Check water and oil levels and tire pressure every start of the day. (good for mileage and relieves stress knowing you checked them) Have a tire gauge. A spare will get you to where the tire can be fixed and this is quicker than parching yourself and using a pump. Visually check the truck over at every gas stop.

Keep lots of cash handy on you, it does come in handy. Good for anything, trust me. Don't try to save a dime, expect things to cost more on the road and pay it and move on. Get gas as you need it. At night only at well lit visible gas stations along your road. If it don't look right keep going, trust your instincts.

Wash hands regularily!! Do this!!! Cary hand sanitizer too. The last thing you need on the road is the shits or stomach flu.

Eat lots of fruit and roughage (no greasy shit) drink more water than you need. Keep fruit in a bag near you. Bottled water!!! Don't drink anything that hasn't been boiled... like tea or coffee.

Always have a small container to piss in. This way you can quickly pull over relieve yourself without getting out of the truck, or having to hold onto it while looking for some bushes. This avoids shady restrooms. Have a road map and place up on the dash in plain sight in case a cop drives by, he's less likely to turn around and come back to see what you're doing. Stop often and get some exercise. I use a disposible McDee coffee cup with a lid. Just pour it out and back on the road again, quick and easy.

Keep a record of mileage and gas used. I like to work out my mileage in my head as I drive for something to do.

Make and carry a spare door and ignition key in your pocket, not your wallet.

Keep your money 'available' and not all in your wallet. Don't carry just $100 dollar bills, break it up some. easier to pay for small things this way.

LOCK vehicle when not in it, specially when in payiing for gas. LOCK YOUR TRUCK!!!!! No exceptions.

Keep a steady speed 50-55 is best for mileage. Keep lots of room around you front and back. On 4 lane watch of overtaking traffic in the lane beside you. Know where the other cars are at all times.

Worst time to drive is just after the sun has gone down and it isn't fully dark yet. Your eyes can't fully dialate because the sky is still too bright. Your headlights are not at all effective under these conditions. Take a break, have some supper untill darker.

If extremely hot drive at night, although sleeping in the heat may be worse. If driving in extreme heat wet your T shirt and keep it wet. Window open and the shirt will cool you as it evaporates. Good for 20 min of relief. It's easy to dehydrate so drink liquids. Wear shorts or drive naked.

Yeah the extra gas can with gas in it is a good idea especially east Montana into Wyoming towns get very far apart.. The good thing is gas is major cheap in Wyoming ...When we do the South Dakota trip and back i usually don`t take nothing but basic stuff as to give the gremlins the finger to show them whose bawse.,,kinda a ward off evil spirits type deal. At least there aren`t the long radio dead spots like there used to be...( honey do you hear that .??? No i cant the radio is to loud ; )

Make a effort to go out to Devils tower just past Gillette it`s not as far off the freeway as it looks ( huge roads ) and pretty epic if you`ve never been.,, they have those camper cabins at the KOA at the base.

And if you drive 50-55 mph through MT and WY ..you are going to get run the fuck over..laugh.gif