Wanting to swap a LS1 in my 78 210 hatch

well I bought this car for my girlfriend a few years back its a low mileage 210 but the head gasket had blown on it and the parked it and it sit for ten years when I got it I spent a week getting the motor to turn but it was totally fubar so it got put on the back burner until I could think of something to put in it. I am a chevy guy at heart and since this car is an automatic already I was originally thinking a T.B.I. 4.3 with a 700r4 trans but recently I just happened across the video on youtube of the 76 b210 with a small block in it and I have to think that if there's a guy with a small block in one than I might as well put one of my ls1's in it. So here I come to my question has anyone tried this, I've searched here and google and other sites with no luck. I know that anything can be put into almost anything I'm more wanting to know what the crossmembers, brakes and rearends are like in these cars and how tough the rear end is? I am just trying to think if this is a good idea or not I want something to drive back and forth to work that is fun and can get somewhere in the upper twenty's in fuel mileage.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's an LS1 weigh? about 400 lbs? That would be close to 200 pounds more than the A14. It will handle like a turd with the extra weight mostly over the front end. You will need to upgrade the springs and brakes too so even more. The rear end would never survive the 4.3. An LS1 would be better suited for a 240Z car and while fun to think of, not really practical in a 210.

What's an LS1 weigh? about 400 lbs? That would be close to 200 pounds more than the A14. It will handle like a turd with the extra weight mostly over the front end. You will need to upgrade the springs and brakes too so even more. The rear end would never survive the 4.3. An LS1 would be better suited for a 240Z car and while fun to think of not really practical in a 210.

1200s are like 500 pounds lighter than 240Zs. Anyone looking to shove a massive V8 into one of these little cars usually doesn't care about handling in the first place, so....

1200s are like 500 pounds lighter than 240Zs. Anyone looking to shove a massive V8 into one of these little cars usually doesn't care about handling in the first place, so....

yeah I'm not really concerned about auto crossing the car. As long as it will go around a corner without pushing like a dump truck I would be happy lol

Take the back seat out and put it there.

funny guy :)

whoa LS1..

Fuck it just do a LS9

If only I had one I would try, but I certainly can not afford that right now

LS1.....

SWEET! Hope you're financially ready laugh.gif

Think big diff, BIG brakes to stop all that extra motor, and a nice suspension to hold it all together.

are there any junkyard type brake upgrades that are available for these cars that you guys can help me out on I've found the stainless steel brake upgrades for the front but it would be nice if there's a junkyard upgrade out there.

as soon as I get the new cam in my cummins and get it out of the garage the 210 will be heading in there and I'll be stripping it out, hopefully this next weekend and I'll have some pics and such, I've done my fair share of motor swaps but I have no datsun knowledge at all so this is going to be a learning experience for me. I figured the rearend wouldn't be up to the task of this adventure but I will see what will fit in it without to much work. I'm also hoping to take this car on Drag week this year so I want it to be trustworthy and safe

are there any junkyard type brake upgrades that are available for these cars

The most popular swap is to the 280ZX vented disc brakes. You basically swap the entire ZX strut/brake assembly, and put the 210 spring on the ZX strut housing. Compare with 280ZX Strut Swap

You can swap in the 1982-1983 200SX rear axle , it's an H190 so is suitable for the street. For drags, step up to a 9", it'll be cheaper in the long run especially with LSD/Locker availability.

well I bought this car for my girlfriend a few years back its a low mileage 210 but the head gasket had blown on it and the parked it and it sit for ten years when I got it I spent a week getting the motor to turn but it was totally fubar so it got put on the back burner until I could think of something to put in it. I am a chevy guy at heart and since this car is an automatic already I was originally thinking a T.B.I. 4.3 with a 700r4 trans but recently I just happened across the video on youtube of the 76 b210 with a small block in it and I have to think that if there's a guy with a small block in one than I might as well put one of my ls1's in it. So here I come to my question has anyone tried this, I've searched here and google and other sites with no luck. I know that anything can be put into almost anything I'm more wanting to know what the crossmembers, brakes and rearends are like in these cars and how tough the rear end is? I am just trying to think if this is a good idea or not I want something to drive back and forth to work that is fun and can get somewhere in the upper twenty's in fuel mileage.

As a Datsun Enthusiast who has completed 2 V8 swaps into Datsuns, I thought I would chime in.

My first V8 swap was an Olds/Buick/Pontiac/Rover 3.5 Liter (215 CI) All aluminum V8 into a 72 Datsun 510.

5206670001_medium.jpg?v=0

5206670003_medium.jpg?v=0

5206670004_medium.jpg?v=0

5206670002_medium.jpg?v=0

I built that car back in the 90's. The light weight, small displacement V8 was a decent little motor but very underpowered compared to the modern engines available. The swap was a tight fit and required a good bit of fabrication. The firewall did not need to be modified and I was able to keep the heater in place. The car did not handle like it did before the swap as the extra weight made the front too heavy. And that was only about 150 extra pounds. I had to cut into the core support to make room for the radiator and had to use a small radiator too. Cooling was an issue even with 4 spal cooling fans. 280ZX Brakes would stop the 200HP engine fine.

My next Datsun V8 swap is an LS1 into a 240Z.

Before

6269300003_medium.jpg?v=0

After

6269300032_medium.jpg?v=0

6269300033_medium.jpg?v=0

6269300043_medium.jpg?v=0

6269300034_medium.jpg?v=0

6269300035_medium.jpg?v=0

Now this is a cool V8 swap and the Z car is probably the best Datsun to use for a V8 swap. The engine compartment is huge and easily fits the LS1 and the T56 six speed. I love my LS1 powered Z car and it provide exhilarating acceleration and power and handles quite nicely even with the extra weight. Most of the added weight is from the trans and that is far back in the chassis and very low so it actually helps the F/R weight bias. The car has provided 30+ MPG on more then 3 road trips and has been very reliable. The car with a stock 2002 LS1 makes 340 RWHP and runs the 1/4 mile at 12.8 which is very traction limited. I have done 7 track days in the car and it does well at the track too.

My 2nd car I ever owned was a 77 B210. I know the car well and the engine compartment is even smaller then the 510 so fitting an LS1 is going to require massive fabrication and cutting of the firewall and trans tunnel.

I doubt you will be able to retain the heater or defroster so this would be a consideration for a street driven car. The weight is also a issue. Adding about 300 pounds to the front of the 210 is going to make it handle like a brick. Sure it will turn the corner and you will be able to park it but as to any kind of real handling you will need to really set up the suspension to get it back to handling decently. Cooling will also be an issue as finding room for a large enough radiator and cooling fans is going to be a challenge.

You can use ZX brakes on it but with 400 HP, they will only work marginally. There are Wilwood upgrades available for them but they are not cheap. You will need to upgrade the rear too. A shortened Ford or Chevy will work.

Knowing what I know, I would not try the swap you want to do but if you have the LS1 and the skills and the time and money, I say go for it. Just plan everything, set a budget (then double or triple it) and plan on it taking twice as long as you thought too.

Keep us updated on your progress.

The LS1 will be an awsome swap. But if things do'nt work out with fitment, the SR would be the best or a turbo'd KA with forged pistons. You also need to figure out your power to weight ratio. 400 hp could be slighty much. I have a friend that had a 240SX coupe with a built RB26DETT. After it was tuned it made 780 wheel hp and 560 lbs torque. It was undrivable. Nothing but wheel spin. Your car probly weighs 1000 lbs less than a 240SX, my 510 does.

The most popular swap is to the 280ZX vented disc brakes. You basically swap the entire ZX strut/brake assembly, and put the 210 spring on the ZX strut housing. Compare with 280ZX Strut Swap

You can swap in the 1982-1983 200SX rear axle , it's an H190 so is suitable for the street. For drags, step up to a 9", it'll be cheaper in the long run especially with LSD/Locker availability.

I may not do an LS swap but I will do this brake upgrade no matter what direction I go in in powertrain thanks for the link

sr20 would be a better option alot lighter and fits alot better and makes alot of power when done right and this is comming from a chevy guy

I wouldn't mind doing a sr20 swap but I'll tell you guys why I wanted to do an ls swap other than the fact that I have two of them in the shop floor, my best friend has all the tuning software and modifies harness's and runs LT1swap.com he live's right down road from me and we do alot of third gen gm powertrain swaps but I'm really thinking that I am going to have to look in a different direction. I dont know anything about sr20's I'll have to do some research and see what I can pick one up for but if there real pricey I'll probably go back to my original plan with a 4.3

As a Datsun Enthusiast who has completed 2 V8 swaps into Datsuns, I thought I would chime in.

My first V8 swap was an Olds/Buick/Pontiac/Rover 3.5 Liter (215 CI) All aluminum V8 into a 72 Datsun 510.

5206670001_medium.jpg?v=0

5206670003_medium.jpg?v=0

5206670004_medium.jpg?v=0

5206670002_medium.jpg?v=0

I built that car back in the 90's. The light weight, small displacement V8 was a decent little motor but very underpowered compared to the modern engines available. The swap was a tight fit and required a good bit of fabrication. The firewall did not need to be modified and I was able to keep the heater in place. The car did not handle like it did before the swap as the extra weight made the front too heavy. And that was only about 150 extra pounds. I had to cut into the core support to make room for the radiator and had to use a small radiator too. Cooling was an issue even with 4 spal cooling fans. 280ZX Brakes would stop the 200HP engine fine.

My next Datsun V8 swap is an LS1 into a 240Z.

Before

6269300003_medium.jpg?v=0

After

6269300032_medium.jpg?v=0

6269300033_medium.jpg?v=0

6269300043_medium.jpg?v=0

6269300034_medium.jpg?v=0

6269300035_medium.jpg?v=0

Now this is a cool V8 swap and the Z car is probably the best Datsun to use for a V8 swap. The engine compartment is huge and easily fits the LS1 and the T56 six speed. I love my LS1 powered Z car and it provide exhilarating acceleration and power and handles quite nicely even with the extra weight. Most of the added weight is from the trans and that is far back in the chassis and very low so it actually helps the F/R weight bias. The car has provided 30+ MPG on more then 3 road trips and has been very reliable. The car with a stock 2002 LS1 makes 340 RWHP and runs the 1/4 mile at 12.8 which is very traction limited. I have done 7 track days in the car and it does well at the track too.

My 2nd car I ever owned was a 77 B210. I know the car well and the engine compartment is even smaller then the 510 so fitting an LS1 is going to require massive fabrication and cutting of the firewall and trans tunnel.

I doubt you will be able to retain the heater or defroster so this would be a consideration for a street driven car. The weight is also a issue. Adding about 300 pounds to the front of the 210 is going to make it handle like a brick. Sure it will turn the corner and you will be able to park it but as to any kind of real handling you will need to really set up the suspension to get it back to handling decently. Cooling will also be an issue as finding room for a large enough radiator and cooling fans is going to be a challenge.

You can use ZX brakes on it but with 400 HP, they will only work marginally. There are Wilwood upgrades available for them but they are not cheap. You will need to upgrade the rear too. A shortened Ford or Chevy will work.

Knowing what I know, I would not try the swap you want to do but if you have the LS1 and the skills and the time and money, I say go for it. Just plan everything, set a budget (then double or triple it) and plan on it taking twice as long as you thought too.

Keep us updated on your progress.

thank you very much for your reply, I dont want to have to heavily modify the firewall I can handle the core support butchery and such but if I have to destroy the firewall I would rather not. I'm at work now but when I get home I'm going to read over your post again and I'm sure I'll have a few questions for you.

The LS1 will be an awsome swap. But if things do'nt work out with fitment, the SR would be the best or a turbo'd KA with forged pistons. You also need to figure out your power to weight ratio. 400 hp could be slighty much. I have a friend that had a 240SX coupe with a built RB26DETT. After it was tuned it made 780 wheel hp and 560 lbs torque. It was undrivable. Nothing but wheel spin. Your car probly weighs 1000 lbs less than a 240SX, my 510 does.

yeah it looks like my power to weight would be somewhere around 6.4 6.5 to 1 thats a little crazy

Good words.

The 210 engine compartment is far larger than the B210 compartment. The transmission tunnel though is the same size. There is no need to destroy the firewall, at worst it is cut a little larger and the tunnel welded up out of simple sheet metal. They fit 5-liter V8s to the B210 without cutting the firewall. Perhaps the LS1 with a manual transmission will be the same?

On the brake issue, for a steet car you only need to worry about the weight, as the HP level doesn't prevent the brakes from working (unless you've got your foot on the gas while you are trying to brake). Of course if you are racing you are going to be going faster and so will need better brakes. But for a street car the speed limit hasn't changed so you (hopefully) won't be going any faster than before. And you shouldn't be taking crazy chances with brinksmanship like accelerating in heavy traffic. The increase weight level over the front wheels requires more of your brakes, but a 210 with LS1 with alloy heads will probably weigh close to the same as a 510 with Buick alloy. B210 is about 100 pounds lighter than 510.

I'm going to try this LS1 swap still but if I have to cut the crap out of the firewall I'm going to go somewhere else for a power plant but I would like to stay chevy if I can but I've looked a little at the sr20's but there still a little higher than what I would want to spend on but I'm sure there alot cheaper if I look in the right spot but then there's still all the harness and trans stuff I Don't know anything about