Wanting to swap a LS1 in my 78 210 hatch

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more you talk about the SR20, the less likely the LS1 swap will ever happen ... LS1 is a mere 305 or 325 HP.

The early LS1's were very under rated from the factory. They didn't want people to know that the Camaro and Trans-Am had as much power as the Corvette.

My stock 2002 Camaro SS LS! made 340 RWHP with only headers and a K & N cold air intake. Taking into account a drivetrain loss of 15%, that equates to 391 Crank HP. This was all before the dyno tuning. We made peak HP of 361 but tuned it back for better throttle response and drivability.

Hey Twisselman1968,

its your car do what you want ... if your're serious ... have the dedicated space, tools, and skill .... i would love to see this ...seriously! !!!! :cool: :thumbup:

I have a 350sbc in my project 240z .... working on reinforce frame right now .... but probably not like you will having to be :thumbup: :lol: :cool:

Hope you are a good welder, can notch pipe, and are comfy with extensive modification ... :)

I love the LS1 .... would love to get my hands on one .... but gen1 sbc is what the budget allowed :lol: ;)

Cant go cheap on brakes ... you will need bigger brakes! !!!!

Sure sr and ka are a great option !, l and a series engines are fun ! ,,,, mmmmmm ls-1

Good luck man! :D

Here's a link to m current 240z project below in my signature ( i have some idea of what you will be going through haha)

Here's a link to m current 240z project below in my signature ( i have some idea of what you will be going through haha)

but you have half the room or less lol.

Building a cage with an ls1 in it and putting b210 body panels on it would be the safe way to go.

but you have half the room or less lol.

Building a cage with an ls1 in it and putting b210 body panels on it would be the safe way to go.

Thats correct a cage would be wise :) ....

replacing frame rails and roll cage points is still the same .... that's what i was decreeing to .... i get paranoid on measurements ... haha :lol:

more than one way to skin a cat though .... ;)

There were some '78 B310s (210) built in '78, the earliest were Feb. '78 and were single round headlights. I think they were called a '79. The '80 210s were built beginning in Dec. '79 and had square single headlights. I think this is correct, ggzilla?

Not sure this has been addressed, so...

Is this a 210 or a B210? Not the same car. If it's really a '78 then it's a B210.

Not sure in the long run it matters, but certain parts of the B210 are a tad beefier than a 210.

yes it is a B210 gx hatchback, my girlfriend spotted it one day when we were on or way to a conservation pond to do some fishing and on the dirt road it was in a yard about 50 yards from a barn and there was no house but we looked around trying to find anyone around but there was no one to be seen. but after a couple hours of fishing we started home and luckily the old man was at the shop firing up his tractor so we stopped and talked to him and ended up buying it for $250 couldn't be happier. He told us that it had a head gasket replaced at Hot Springs Nissan and two weeks later it blew it again they fixed it for free this time and then in less than a month it popped again and this time they said they couldn't fix it and he needed a motor so he parked it and there it set for 12 years. It's an automatic which made my girlfriend happy. the motor is trashed so here we are.

I did get the cam in my Cummins tonight and the valves set so if i can get out of work one night a little early this week I should be able to wrap my truck up and get it out and the Datsun in and start mocking it up and see if its even got a snow balls chance in hell to run with an LS1 or not. I'm not going to butcher the car up, I can handle some triming and I have no problem putting a hole roll of some .035 welding wire in the car if thats what it takes but the trans tunnel is what I'm really worried about right now. I know I'm going to have to destroy the radiator support more than likely but thats par for the course

• 3 months later...
start mocking it up and see if its even got a snow balls chance in hell to run with an LS1 or not

Lots of guys have put LS1 or LS2 engines in B110, B210 and B310. Even in the smaller B10.

You don't have to butcher the car unless you're building a pro dragster ...

I'm looking at more unconventional swaps for my '78 B210 also. One thing I'm researching is using a S13 chassis crossmember up front. I already have S13 struts, spindles, lower control arms swapped onto the B framework now.

Using S13 stuff opens you up to a ton of aftermarket options for brakes, suspension, etc... Bolt on brakes from 240SX, J30, Q45, Z32, pretty uch anything Nissan made plus all aftermarket for all those models.

Using the cross-member opens up rack and pinion steering setup and simple bolt in kits for engine swaps including LSx based. Of course there will be fab work but I personally think getting as close to drop in as possible using more modern components is the way to go.

Use a solid 8.8 Ford rear end and narrow it utilizing 9" housing ends and 31-33 spline axles is the cheap way to go for a bulletproof lightweight setup. LS engines easily see ~500ft lbs torque output.