L series lean

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L series engine lean is there to compensate for the fat ass sitting in the driver seat.

Lol ...

Yeah ... for those who are not aware ... in s30's .... the engine crankshaft centerline is offset towards passengers side ( not perfectly centered) ... in addition to the lean towards the passengers side.

It leans over so that it fits under the hood of the small cars. The first car to have the L-series was the Nissan Cedric which had enough room. But I suspect they already were looking at the tiny Datsun 510 so they made it fit both.

Other engines lean to, for example most BWM engines.

lol, thats what i was thinking.

so it only has to do with room? did the nissan cedric have the l series straight up?

It's funny you mentioned strait up, as when I changed out my engines in the work truck, I goofed on the driverside motor mount hardware, and I mounted the engine strait up instead of leaning, I only figured it out because the steering assembly would not connect back up to the frame, as I drop it to make getting the engine out and back in easier.

It looked weird sitting in there strait up, but I had not put the manifolds on yet either, and it wasn't that hard to mount that way either, I just put the bolts in the wrong holes on the drivers side.

All L-series leans over.

I had thought so, just wasnt sure after you had said that there was enough room in the cedrics.

It's funny you mentioned strait up, as when I changed out my engines in the work truck, I goofed on the driverside motor mount hardware, and I mounted the engine strait up instead of leaning, I only figured it out because the steering assembly would not connect back up to the frame, as I drop it to make getting the engine out and back in easier.

It looked weird sitting in there strait up, but I had not put the manifolds on yet either, and it wasn't that hard to mount that way either, I just put the bolts in the wrong holes on the drivers side.

Interesting, so the steering linkage hit the oil pan?

• 2 weeks later...

J H Keeerist! It's leaning to the right to make plenty of room for the manifolds, mostly the intake, on the left side. Same as the Z series is leaning to the left because the intake is on the right and the exhaust on the left takes up very little space.

There's plenty of room for manifolds without leaning it over. It is most likely leaning over for the same reason other slant engines do: to lower the top of the engine, to allow for lower hoodlines and lower the center of gravity. But you might be right. Has Nissan-Datsun ever commented on the reason?

And if you can't see that L leans more than the Z, I think you must be blind!

4876980003_large.jpg

29451910011_large.jpg

5301549763_90518a6750_z.jpg