L series lean

That's just a stock picture. I just noticed the manifold. Probably the 'Hyper Pack' option for marine applications. I think it was a 4 bbl.... Hell it says so right on the air filter!!! Includes a special cam too.

Mine I made an adapter and ran a 318 2 bbl and split the exhaust into two and ran a second set of pipes. Sounded like hell with glass pack Walker Continentals but improved the 30 to 90 acceleration some.

Talk about lean... the dizzy and oil filter were a bitch to get a.t

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lean broke my distributor! At least I'll blame that. I couldn't see (because the engine leans over so far) that the cap wasn't put on fully and when I cranked the engine the rotor caught on the cap and the plastic gear on the distributor snapped right off. haha. But other than the manifolds cracking, the Slant 6s were tough and reliable.

Here is my slant six, same color as your stock photo:

24143.jpg

P.S: My Datsun wasn't broke, didn't need work. Was just following the maintainence schedule, which means I worked on it regularly.

Lean broke my distributor! At least I'll blame that. I couldn't see (because the engine leans over so far) that the cap wasn't put on fully and when I cranked the engine the rotor caught on the cap and the plastic gear on the distributor snapped right off. haha. But other than the manifolds cracking, the Slant 6s were tough and reliable.

Here is my slant six, same color as your stock photo:

24143.jpg

P.S: My Datsun wasn't broke, didn't need work. Was just following the maintainence schedule, which means I worked on it regularly.

They are a tough motor. I was like 18 or so, burned the clutch out in 2 months. Eventually had to get help from my neighbor to re-ring it. That's when I put the big 2bbl on it. One night I was 30 miles from home and a rod started knocking.... nursed it all the way home. Piston/rod/crank later back on the road. Man I was hard on that car. Traded it in on a new '70 340 Dart.

i heard that it leans for fule to mix into it better :unsure:

Well, that's not exactly what I meant when I told you that.

The L engines are designed to lean, and designed to have a downdraft carburetor, so the intake manifold is at an angle, so if your engine is straight your intake puts the carb at an angle. This means the carb isn't sitting straight up, I heard from Troy Ermish that it will make it run a bit better when its sitting at the correct angle.

The Chrysler slant 6 was introduced right around 1960. It was a CI pushrod engine that was used in about every vehicle they sold. It came in 225CI and 250CI versions (the latter used in trucks). I think it was used right up until the Omni was introduced in '78

I had a '74 Duster with a slant 6, 3 speed on the column and a non synchro 1st gear. A very fine peice of American engineering.

Take your valve cover off and lay it on a flat surface and you can measure the angle.

FWIW, I think the original ('50s) Merc 300SL Gullwings had their engine mounted at an angle around 30* off vertical to clear the hood

112_0412_7z_gullwing_1954_mercedes_benz_300_sl_coupe_engine.jpg

I know early '60s Alfa Romeo TZ1-TZ3s had this too. Talk about an expensive intake manifold!

Makes you wonder how those engineers make everything "fit" when they are designing cars, especially back in the days without computers! blink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are all SO WRONG~! Do you know nothing of the ultimate conspriracy??? Those leaning engines emit electromagnetic waves that cause an imbalance in the earth's gravitational field. It's slowing the revolution, causing longer days~ and hence global warming. We are all destined to die, and that's when the aliens who fed us this self-destructive technology will come and take over our earth. Only v-8's can counter this phenomenon, restore that imbalance~ and save our planet! I saw it on HULU....