Non Datsun, but a bit ratty...'28 Ford Modified Roadster

I thought that you guys might like this. This is my dads roadster that he has been working on for the last 8 years. Its powered by a hillborn injected 2-liter ford zetec 4 banger. Custom bell housing mates it to a t-5 tranny from a mustang. The frame is a pair of chopped up 32 ford rails that have been pinched in the front. The body is a 28 ford roadster pick-up body without the bed. The cab has been lengthened a few inches and it was narrowed a few inches as well to match the pinch in the frame.

My dad has had his hands on everything on this car...nothing is out of the box bolt on. Virtually every bracket is custom made by him (he has been my mentor for my fab skills:D). As you can also see he like's his cars low also. I don't have any construction shots on my computer, but they are impressive. Especially the rear x-member, seats, suspension, injection...shit, its all pretty damn sick. Here are some pics.

Firstdrive41108007.jpg

Firstdrive41108003.jpg

Firstdrive41108012.jpg

Firstdrive41108015.jpg

I can't say that I had a big part in the build, but I did do a good deal of welding on the frame, and I was his consultant for styling questions. I can't wait to get back home so I can get a ride in this thing...and drive it! I'm not going to Canby cause we are going to be driving it down to So-Cal for the LA roadster show...9 hours, no top, tiny windsheild, virtually no interior, bomber seats...sounds like a good time.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Duke, how was the ride in your dad's roadster? Howd it get received? I've been thinking about rat rods with small 4 bangers in them (can't get your dad's outta my head) and had two questions for you.

1. Was it fast?

2. How was the gas mileage?

• 4 weeks later...

Sweet ride man!:cool: I think I just saw it in the new Rod & Custom mag. they have an article about stickin' a 4 banger in a hot rod. Seems to me like people have been doing that for a while now and they will continue to as gas price$ go through the roof. I have wanted to stick a Toyota 3tc (hemi head motor) or a worked over 22r w/a 20r head in my Simca for a long time. I think it would look cool and the jump from 1.3 litres to 1.8 or 2.0 litres would be very noticable. I would back it with a super dependable Toyota 5 speed myself.

Anywho...very nice rod man. I'll bet the frame looks killer too:D

Didn't some of those Simcas have a version of the V8-60 flathead? I want one of those for my next bike project. I can't resist engine swaps. I've owned ove 30 cars in the past 15 years and probably half of them were swapped. Love that roadster! I bet we're gonna see a lot more later 4 cylinder powered pre-war stuff.

Sweet ride man!:cool: I think I just saw it in the new Rod & Custom mag. they have an article about stickin' a 4 banger in a hot rod. Seems to me like people have been doing that for a while now and they will continue to as gas price$ go through the roof. I have wanted to stick a Toyota 3tc (hemi head motor) or a worked over 22r w/a 20r head in my Simca for a long time. I think it would look cool and the jump from 1.3 litres to 1.8 or 2.0 litres would be very noticable. I would back it with a super dependable Toyota 5 speed myself.

Anywho...very nice rod man. I'll bet the frame looks killer too:D

Thanks, I'll pass the compliments along to my dad. He was actually in an article a few years back in R&C with the same topic as the most recent one. Just this time the car was completely together!

He has been driving it like crazy, working out the kinks, and generally enjoying it wherever he goes. Gets A LOT of attention. He even let me take it out one night with the lady friend...that was a good time.

Duke thats all we get??? Have him email some build pics to you, we need more pics :D I can imagine the time and skill that went into building that! Just install a turbo engine in a dime is a good deal of work, I can't imagine all the fab time that went into that!! I like the engine choice to, I also get tired of the same old thing (V8's) in those type of cars. To me though the engine is such a small percentage of the car. I like the details, and ideas that people come up with, or expand upon, thats what makes a cool car. That does explain why you like your cars so low :D I have no idea why I do, my dad always says "they gotta be 100% stock." He always daily drove "old" cars to....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...