Icehouse

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sir might I ask where you acquired those flares

...i said i need flares which had to come from the states. he said go chat with topstage across town in clayton, so i spun round there to talk to freddie who finished off a set just as i got there. hard to miss his silver zed...

07-12wheelios5.jpg

only this:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20232-79-620-daily/page__st__480

doesnt really go into detail :( i didnt care for perfect fitment so i dunno how you'd do it properly. i used masking tape to get an idea of where to keep them first (they are all different, so each one needs to go to the right corner), marked out the top two holes for each end, roughly measured what i could to try get them about the same left and right, then started drilling. if you were to fit them properly and on a much nicer car, the chap that sold me the flares said to have something inbetween panel and flares. i cant remember what it was though :huh: thin double sided bodywork tape or something

i used bolts to hold them on, i didnt like the idea of screws, even on my nasty bodywork

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

I just bought my first Datsun. It's a 1972 521. I just lowered it a little (with some help from a friend on the forum) and put some wheels and tires on. I finally have a space where I can learn my way around an engine, so this is all a learning experience for me! I have been having an issue lately where I lose all power after I drive about 5 minutes. It won't let me turn it back on (like the battery was pulled out). I wait a little and it will turn over and idle for a bit then die. If I wait a long time, I can get back where I started! There was a wire going to the distributor (same connection as the condenser) that was making a bad connection. I fixed that and it didn’t have this problem again until this morning. Not sure what it is!?! Been stranded a few times… but that’s what makes it fun… right? Anyways, that’s the story!

Beau

DATSUN.jpg

Hey All,

I just bought my first Datsun. It's a 1972 521. I just lowered it a little (with some help from a friend on the forum) and put some wheels and tires on. I finally have a space where I can learn my way around an engine, so this is all a learning experience for me! I have been having an issue lately where I lose all power after I drive about 5 minutes. It won't let me turn it back on (like the battery was pulled out). I wait a little and it will turn over and idle for a bit then die. If I wait a long time, I can get back where I started! There was a wire going to the distributor (same connection as the condenser) that was making a bad connection. I fixed that and it didn’t have this problem again until this morning. Not sure what it is!?! Been stranded a few times… but that’s what makes it fun… right? Anyways, that’s the story!

Beau

DATSUN.jpg

nice look. what size wheel/tire combo you got on there?

HB,

Ray Stonehocker(425 931 3121) can maybe have a look at this truck if you can make it there and give it a once over.

Now you really need to buy a timming light and a multimeter and give up soem clues on whats going on.

Lose power is too general!!!!!

Mine motor power or electrical power.

If dont start or event cleck/turn over , do you still have Lights? This could be a fuse box issue. if not light also then you know its the wire comming off the starter lug that feeds everything thru the box box. 521 have lot of corrosion proplems at the fuse box lugs. I would put all new correct size fuses and clean the contacks.

The points need to be adjusted and contacks clean there also. A electronic conversion or a Matchox tyep dizzy would help the reliabity issue alot esp of you a nON mechanic type and used to new cars.

5321s require alot of maint esp if well used. I had mine 10 years and I seen what I have replaced over those years and most people would have gotten rid of the truck already.

Your truck is better than mine,hopefully you take care of it. If you cant think you can maintain a vehicle like this best to sell it. Hopefully you have another spare rig as this will break down. Hate to see another rig towed off cause they had no money and goes to the Junkyard.

truck is PERFECT as it is. I wouldnt change anything just buy some spare parts.

Give us more infor.'

Get a volt reading when its running across the battery. then with the lights on. This will show if the alternator or volt reg is going out.