Texas 74 620

broncosfan1

Hello Ratsun! Like others I want to start by thanking you all for posting your experiences. I've learned a lot on this forum as I worked on this truck the last couple of years. I still have a couple of outstanding issues and questions but first I know you want pictures...so here they are.

Freshly painted in original color. New windshield and front and back window seals.

6827580489_54996ea3f8.jpg

I sandblasted and repainted steel wheels and found new set of original Datsun hubcaps.

6827580857_8db1f455ef.jpg

Replacing the lettering is harder than I expected. It took two sets of DATSUN lettering before I got it right without bubbles.

6827580679_2216bf3a68.jpg

Previous owner replaced the bench seat with this one he said was from a Toyota pickup. He gave me the original seat that is in good condition but I like the fact that this one has head rests. I removed the rubber floor mats and installed carpet. As you can see it has automatic transmission and underdash Datsun A/C.

6827581067_f2b0c0f1a6.jpg

Just installed this tachometer. Thanks to a post on this forum I learned that the wire that my factory manual says goes to the "T" connector on the back of the gauge cluster was not necessary...good thing because I don't see a T connector on mine. Apparently they were right because it works great.

6827581387_9edf460ee8.jpg

Another recent addition...Datsun Clarion AM/FM radio from early 80s. You can also see the Datsun underdash A/C installed by the original dealer in Flagstaff, AZ.

6827581515_9fc3315262.jpg

Original L18 with weber carb. I replaced the radiator with the larger one used in 1975 620s. It ran a little hot when it was 100 degrees and with the A/C going so I hope this will help.

6827581237_a244ab67ab.jpg

Other updates:

• Upgraded alternator to 60amp from 720 pickup.
  • Removed electric fuel pump and went back to original because it was too loud.
  • Installed KYB shocks to improve ride. Still not as smooth as my 720s.
  • Replaced all wheel cylinders and master cylinder. Still has drum brakes all around.

Outstanding Issues:

• Spark plugs are wet with oil and compression is low in all cylinders. At least needs rings replaced but with all the info on this site about engine swaps I'm giving it some thought. I've had several 720s over the years and like the Z24 engine but it seems the L20 and KA swaps are the popular options. What would y'all recommend to replace this L18 with automatic 3 speed transmission setup?
  • At 55mph (3300rpm) the engine is very loud but is quieter at 65mph. Thoughts?
  • I wish the ride was as smooth as my 83 reg cab 720 or 86 KC 720. From what I've read the 720 reg cab short bed chassis matches up with the reg cab 620 pretty good so a swap might be an option but are there easier upgrades that will improve the ride?

Thank you all again for all the great info on this site.

...Tim

• Like 1
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a super sano truck my friend, well I might be a bit biased since my '74 is also pumpkin orange :D

A stocker that nice deserves to be kept as such IMO.

--Ray

where did you find the windsheild? and rubbers? i need both

Body shop that painted it didn't have any trouble finding the windshield but could not find the seals. I first tried to buy them from a company in Australia (Rotary Products) on eBay but they said they would combine shipping but kept sending me an invoice for the full price of $80 for shipping. I went back and forth with them 3 times and finally gave up and bought them from reddat on eBay. They were more expensive but after wasting 2 weeks on the first deal the truck was done and sitting at the body shop waiting on the seals.

I read that Scott's Old Auto Rubber in Australia has good stuff and I just ordered new window channel rubber from them last week so I'll let you all know how that goes.

Nice truck, I would go L20b or fix the current engine. Keep it stock looking. What part of N Texas are you in? I am in Frisco.

There are some North Texas people on here. :) I'm jealous of all the west coast guys with their get togethers and meets. :(

I'm in Arlington. I commute 60 miles a day to North Dallas and have just added this truck to the lineup of daily drivers. I mostly drive the 86 720 KC because it is the most comfortable. When weather permits I drive the converted 100% electric 83 720 (it doesn't have heat yet so I don't use it when it's too cold and I didn't enclose the electronics under the hood so I don't drive it when the streets are wet.)

Seems to be a common L16/L18 problem? Several I've owned are quieter at 4200-4400 than they are at 3200-3400. It's the weirdest thing, but it's happened to me on many L-series cars.

Thanks. That's good to know it's not just mine. Have you had experience with the L20? Is it better/quieter?

• 4 weeks later...

But also keep in mind.....

He's a....

Bronco's fan.

*Shivers*

Go Broncos! I'm a native Texan and grew up a Cowboys fan but Tom Landry was my hero (now there's a classy gentleman) so I've never supported Jerry Jones' Cowboys. I lived a year in Denver in 1985 and adopted the Broncos as my new team.

WOW ... that truck looks sharp! Great additions, and super clean.

Do you plan to haul stuff in the bed, or are you going try to save it?

I don't do much hauling so I'll probably try to keep it clean. After the new paint job it looks new except for a lot of dents in the wheel covers. They even removed the bed to paint the back of the cab.

Guess you didn't know there's a monthly meet 15 minutes from your house then? :P

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/29828-dallasfort-worth-old-school-japanese-meet/page__gopid__628921#entry628921

I had no idea! Awesome! The original post says first Sunday of the month but your recent post says next meeting is April 4th but that's a Wednesday. Is that correct? I look forward to meeting some of you and seeing other Datsuns.

I had no idea! Awesome! The original post says first Sunday of the month but your recent post says next meeting is April 4th but that's a Wednesday. Is that correct? I look forward to meeting some of you and seeing other Datsuns.

That was a slip up. Should have said March 4th. :P

It's always first Sunday (unless bumped because of a holiday). Next meet will be April 1st. :cool:

That was a slip up. Should have said March 4th. :P

It's always first Sunday (unless bumped because of a holiday). Next meet will be April 1st. :cool:

Dang. Just missed it two days ago :( and it was a beautiful day in the 70s! Hope to see you in April.