Engine swap weigh in, which do you think is better?

Lonestar

Hey guys and gals,

So I decided not to sell my 210 and along with getting some new (used) JDM rims, I've been thinking of an engine swap. Now I'd love to stay with something like an L20 so I can run a sweet looking Su or Mikuni carb setup and keep the old school look. (sorry if I spelled that wrong.) On the other hand I've been looking some more modern Nissan engines, like the ever favorite SR20DET but I got to looking and found a few others such as the CA18 and the even rarer FJ20. Seeing how I may never find a good L20 near me, I've been thinking of the SR20 or the CA18...if Leach wasn't out in CA, I'd buy his FJ20 but now to my question, which engine would be a more perfered swap for my little ride and just how much work am I looking at? Does anyone know the pro's and con's of each engine and how hard it is to find parts for one of the others?

The reason I ask cus I know all peeps out there in Ratsun land would know and there is no other place or people I'd trust with that info, than right here in this community! :D

Thanks all.:thumbup:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys and gals,

So I decided not to sell my 210 and along with getting some new (used) JDM rims, I've been thinking of an engine swap. Now I'd love to stay with something like an L20 so I can run a sweet looking Su or Mikuni carb setup and keep the old school look. (sorry if I spelled that wrong.) On the other hand I've been looking some more modern Nissan engines, like the ever favorite SR20DET but I got to looking and found a few others such as the CA18 and the even rarer FJ20. Seeing how I may never find a good L20 near me, I've been thinking of the SR20 or the CA18...if Leach wasn't out in CA, I'd buy his FJ20 but now to my question, which engine would be a more perfered swap for my little ride and just how much work am I looking at? Does anyone know the pro's and con's of each engine and how hard it is to find parts for one of the others?

The reason I ask cus I know all peeps out there in Ratsun land would know and there is no other place or people I'd trust with that info, than right here in this community! :D

Thanks all.:thumbup:

http://www.datsuns.c...10/510swaps.htm

http://dimequarterly.blogspot.com/2011/08/engine-swap-guide-part-one.html

JDM rims can be found cheap .. used ... .. . . .. but JDM Nissan motors,, especially the ones you've listed, are really expensive and hard to source parts for

..... they all have turbos in their most common form ,,, and that adds alot of money and fab work to your build

You could probably swap a non turbo KA24E or KA24DE ... and buy another two Datsuns, for the price of a turbo JDM yo motor swap .... :rolleyes:

It's easier to find an L20B (US factory from 1975-1979) than an SR20DET (which were never sold in USA).

Personally I'd put in a KA24DE, the DOHC looks great, and 40% more power than the L20B. Fits in the same too. You can put carbs on it if you want, just need the aftermarket manifold and a MegaJolt crank trigger.

Disregaurding price/availability, My favorite is the CA18DET. But I have decided that I dislike it not being a USDM motor, it costs a bit of change comparatively to USDM motors, and I just like Junkyards.

Between the CA and SR in a 210, CA all the way. It is a super light weight motor. And it looks pretty. I just dont think you need the power of a SR... especially since both will take you to higher HP easily.

KA is cheap power, and I dont think I have heard of a VG 210(though I never looked). VG can be fairly cheap. Both these motors are plentiful in America.

It's easier to find an L20B (US factory from 1975-1979) than an SR20DET (which were never sold in USA).

Not here. I can buy 5 SR20DETs tomorrow, but have been looking for six months for a good L18/L20b.

Personally I'd put in a KA24DE, the DOHC looks great, and 40% more power than the L20B. Fits in the same too. You can put carbs on it if you want, just need the aftermarket manifold and a MegaJolt crank trigger.

Agreed. And on the low budget tip, if you use a Frontier engine, you can just use an L20b distributor, no MegaJolt necessary.

KA24E or DE truck block (lighter than the 240sx block ) but 240sx intake and wiring, FS5W71C from a d21 Hardbody. I would run R-1 carbs for the sound.

Larger displacement will give superior torque off idle and you don't have to wait forever for the revs to climb for the turbo. These are instantly ready to go. These are common and easily found, lots of aftermarket support. The addition of a turbo has been done thousands of times and is well documented. Slight weight penalty over an SR but parts are 'down the street' not Japan.

Not here. I can buy 5 SR20DETs tomorrow, but have been looking for six months for a good L18/L20b.

Yup, that is why I'd lean more towards the SR20 but I tell you I like doing things that people don't normally do, that is why I've been thinking really hard about the CA18. Mike, you got a point too and the KA has been on my mine, problem is, I can't find one near me unless I buy a whole freaking car. I think the KA valve cover looks ulgy and like you said, it's common but still an option because it's a well documeneted swap.

Looks great! Now that it's done, how would you rate it?

LOl a 8 I wanna go turbo now!! So watch our for that soon. This month ;) but it runs veryy strong. My first and second I spin tires ands gets sideways easy. And some times I can spin thrid so in anxious to see what 7 pounds can do ;D

Doesnt Burleigh also have one done?

Yes he does he's In the process of putting his h190 in. But he's been mia..

Im liking the sexy look of CA18DET myself but....the KA make the most sense...

Ca18det.jpg

I have no clue what a good deal for a complete CA18 setup should be but I was looking at this

used engine website in canada from another forum awhile back.

http://www.nagasakijdmmotors.com/catalog/ca18det-complete-swap-p-117.html

Yes he does he's In the process of putting his h190 in. But he's been mia..

H190 is the rear you put into your car right? You know where I could find one? :D

The more I think about, the more I go back to the CA18. I like the way it looks, HP could easily be upped with simple tricks and I don't think I'd have to shoe horn it like an SR2 but I'm going to check out the KA's and see weigh in price options.

Ka is the way to go. 2.4 plenty power Ans plus a Turbo. Shits no joke. Cast iron block forged internals. Boost ready... there's no replacement for displacement... and ni I have the h165 I've been serchubg for the 190. You gotta scout the junk yards or find someone with it. Kind of hard to find..

Ka is the way to go. 2.4 plenty power Ans plus a Turbo. Shits no joke. Cast iron block forged internals. Boost ready... there's no replacement for displacement.

Like I said, if I could find a KA with everything on it, I would think about it but the only I'm getting my hands on one is either A, Buy a 150k KA motor with no Trans, ECU, Wiring harness or anything like then buy everything else off EBay or B, I buy a whole freakin car just for the KA swap on top of having to rebuild the motor. Money wise, it seems the SR20 or CA18 would run me cheaper because they come with everything.

Like I said, if I could find a KA with everything on it, I would think about it but the only I'm getting my hands on one is either A, Buy a 150k KA motor with no Trans, ECU, Wiring harness or anything like then buy everything else off EBay or B, I buy a whole freakin car just for the KA swap on top of having to rebuild the motor. Money wise, it seems the SR20 or CA18 would run me cheaper because they come with everything.

I got both of mine from guys who took it out to do an SR swap in their S13. If you can find someone like that, you can usually get everything for $500 or less.