Engine swap weigh in, which do you think is better?

Lonestar

id say if it comes down to sr or ca go ca in my opinion it is just a way better engine they both have a near square bore to stroke ratio the ca just seemed to find the "sweet spot" so to speak with an 83.6 x 83 mm and in stock form can rev around 9000 rpm where as the sr is around 86 x 86 if i remember correctly and please correct me if im wrong it just cant rev as easily and is prone to throwing a rod if over revved i would suggest if you do an sr use a rev limiter at around 7500 rpm because the engine is useless after this in stock form and it will only break any higher in the rev range while it is a great engine and if put together properly can definitely be a ridiculously fast car especially in a car as light as yours i would choose the ca in the end it is your car and the decision is yours and any engine will make your car stupid fast so build it, race break it, repeat

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't make more power at 9,500 so why rev it that high?

Theory is nice, but a faster car is even better. Yes, the CA is a slightly better design, but the SR being 11% larger trumps that. The SR doesnt *need* to rev as high to make more power. Plus the SR20VE has N-tech. CA doesn't have anything like that.

Most I've seen come with everything.

There was one for sale this week in Seattle for $800 came with transmission, wiring and ECU.

Yup, I saw that, just one thing, it's in Seattle....unless someone can bring it to me, I don't wanna pay the extra 500 to ship it.

id say if it comes down to sr or ca go ca in my opinion it is just a way better engine they both have a near square bore to stroke ratio the ca just seemed to find the "sweet spot" so to speak with an 83.6 x 83 mm and in stock form can rev around 9000 rpm where as the sr is around 86 x 86 if i remember correctly and please correct me if im wrong it just cant rev as easily and is prone to throwing a rod if over revved i would suggest if you do an sr use a rev limiter at around 7500 rpm because the engine is useless after this in stock form and it will only break any higher in the rev range while it is a great engine and if put together properly can definitely be a ridiculously fast car especially in a car as light as yours i would choose the ca in the end it is your car and the decision is yours and any engine will make your car stupid fast so build it, race break it, repeat

A stupid fast car is not what I'm after. I don't wanna race it, I just want to upgrade with some more HP to give it a little kick, that, and to put the little 16 year old Honduh owner who think's his ragged out POS ricer is the fastest thing on the road in his place.

You won't make more power at 9,500 so why rev it that high?

Theory is nice, but a faster car is even better. Yes, the CA is a slightly better design, but the SR being 11% larger trumps that. The SR doesnt *need* to rev as high to make more power. Plus the SR20VE has N-tech. CA doesn't have anything like that.

SR20VE, I've seen that one listed on EBay, how does it differ from the SR20det?

the sr20ve is pretty much nissans version of VTEC but better because its not a honda :lol:....only comes from the factory as a FWD motor but mazworx has a "kit" that adapts the head (block isnt any better than a normal sr20 can be) to the RWD platform and is pretty expensive but the damn motor makes gobs of power and is what they run in their drag S15

http://www.sr20-forum.com/turbo/53936-sr20vet-dyno-results.html <<<<not mazworx

Is that the SR20De? Guys don't like to swap them, because they are not "DE" versions.

Huh? Read that 3 times, still don't get it. :P

That is an S15 Silvia SR20DE. As I recall, they make about 20hp more than the standard S13/S14 SR20DE.

And there have been at least 15-20 swapped into different Datsuns here in the US alone.

One in a Roadster:

img_9637-jpg.jpg

One in a 510:

Engine_Right.jpg

Huh? Read that 3 times, still don't get it. :P

That is an S15 Silvia SR20DE. As I recall, they make about 20hp more than the standard S13/S14 SR20DE.

And there have been at least 15-20 swapped into different Datsuns here in the US alone.

One in a Roadster:

img_9637-jpg.jpg

One in a 510:

Engine_Right.jpg

Mmmm, that's sexy right der. :wub:

Yes, VVL means Variable Valve Lift.

* SR20VET has Nissan VVL

* SR20DET has Nissan N-VCT (some of the later versions)

Both are VVT systems. Both are electrically controlled with mechanical/hydraulic operation. Nissan VVL is similar to 1st-gen v-tech, so it is not a continously variable system. Other than that it works pretty good they say.