Projector Headlights

Quite honestly, bmw projectors suck.

You would be better off going with a quality sealed beam conversion, I have seen some h4 housings that have a very nice cutoff with HIDs...

Basically if BMW projectors at the benchmark, these will pass with flying colors.

I am basically hoping for quality like Acura TSX projectors, or Infinity RX45 projectors. Those seem to be some of the most praised in the land of projectors.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't doubt what you're saying, since I don't claim to be a headlight expert.

I could probably actually do a sealed beam - BMW projector - Dapper Lighting comparison. Then maybe I can claim to be a semi-expert afterward. I don't have any fancy light measuring devices, but the the old garage door can do the trick. I'm expecting/hoping for good results from Dapper & will start saving up for when they hit the market.

I would love to buy some Bi-xenon projectors headlights the ones I have on my ZX now are just plain clear eBay headlights with H4 HID ballast & bulbs but the kit is a cheap Chinese Junk. :mad:

Would you know where I can get a good price on some digital ballast with bi-xenon kit?

Quite honestly, bmw projectors suck.

You would be better off going with a quality sealed beam conversion, I have seen some h4 housings that have a very nice cutoff with HIDs...

Basically if BMW projectors at the benchmark, these will pass with flying colors.

I am basically hoping for quality like Acura TSX projectors, or Infinity RX45 projectors. Those seem to be some of the most praised in the land of projectors.

These are DOT approved but I don't know if these will turn out to be up to TSX quality projectors (I hope so!). Remember a lot of the TSX projectors you see out there have been modified to put out sharper light. These are not modified but will pass DOT regulations. I'm not sure if the modified ones would or not.

I would love to buy some Bi-xenon projectors headlights the ones I have on my ZX now are just plain clear eBay headlights with H4 HID ballast & bulbs but the kit is a cheap Chinese Junk. :mad:

Would you know where I can get a good price on some digital ballast with bi-xenon kit?

We sell a 7" round projector and HID package. Check out dapperlighting.com

I thought you were making 2 versions; the DOT approved, and the classic looking one.

Of you current 7 inch, not a fan of the DOT approved ones.

Nevermind, None look to be DOT yet...

I like the classic, not the modern. Which sells better?

I thought you were making 2 versions; the DOT approved, and the classic looking one.

Of you current 7 inch, not a fan of the DOT approved ones.

Nevermind, None look to be DOT yet...

I like the classic, not the modern. Which sells better?

5"3/4: The version coming is the DOT approved (modern) type one. Classics won't go into development unless these are successful.

7": Neither are DOT at the moment. We're working on revising the Classics to pass DOT.

Classic seems to be more popular but we sell a lot of both kits. A big draw to the Moderns is that they put out better/more light.

• 1 month later...

The modern version has arrived!

SHW7Ml.jpg

MrKXcl.jpg

Now these are 1 off prototypes and there's good news and bad news.

Bad news: There are no notches on the housings to fit directly into your headlight bucket. The testers will either need to modify their headlight bracket or modify the headlight.

Good news: They are extremely high quality and the cut off and light output is AWESOME.

nTzxdl.jpg

TljBil.jpg

We have 2 setups available at this time for testing:

1. 4 Headlight Setup (2 high/2 low) NO Bi-xenon function

- Ideal setup would be HID low beam and halogen high beam.

2. 2 Headlight Setup (2 Bi-xenon projectors).

Again, these will require some work to get proper fitment and wiring. You should only pursue this if you have access to tools and the ability to machine out the notches if needed.

Still interest out there?

• Like 1

Definitely still interested. any idea if you are going to make a "classic" style?

If you read through the thread, we're waiting on the success of the modern set to start the classic set. Costs are high to get a classic going.

What's the cost? I just bought some housings from ebay, but I'm still within the return period if I can afford yours.

Around $175 for either sets.

Retail pricing will be around $250 for H/L or H and L. $175 for just L

Ben glad to see you making these. They look awesome. I would love to buy a classic styled one. Not sure about the modern styled one yet lol. But hey do either you or any know if these would work on the 2nd generation 510's? I mean they use the same diameter size but the room behind them and the mounting areas are very different. I don't have an exact pic of the headlight area I'm talking about, but I'll leave this one here for now.

dat510.jpg

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

It makes sense that you would wait to see the success of one version over another for lights, but did it really make sense to offer the modern style before the classic style? I would think that most guys who dont have HIDs/projectors from the factory have classic cars and would want classic lights to fit. I do not like the modern at all, but hope they sell well enough that I can pick up a set of classics from you guys in the future.

I will admit that this bug with moderns look awfuly good:

_3632397_orig.png

Do you guys get your HID kits (Ballast & Bulbs) from someone specific?

We get our kits from CNlight which is the largest HID manufacturer in China. Same manufacturer that makes Morimoto.

So what is ready because you have a buyer right here,can i see pics of the lights installed and tell me how much and how to pay.Thank you

Only the prototypes are ready at the moment. We need to find a car to install them on.

Ben glad to see you making these. They look awesome. I would love to buy a classic styled one. Not sure about the modern styled one yet lol. But hey do either you or any know if these would work on the 2nd generation 510's? I mean they use the same diameter size but the room behind them and the mounting areas are very different. I don't have an exact pic of the headlight area I'm talking about, but I'll leave this one here for now.

dat510.jpg

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

Can you post a picture from the top down? These have a lot of clearance room. I'll do some measurements when I get back into the office.

It makes sense that you would wait to see the success of one version over another for lights, but did it really make sense to offer the modern style before the classic style? I would think that most guys who dont have HIDs/projectors from the factory have classic cars and would want classic lights to fit. I do not like the modern at all, but hope they sell well enough that I can pick up a set of classics from you guys in the future.

I will admit that this bug with moderns look awfuly good:

_3632397_orig.png

I'd LOVE to make the Classics first but there are a few issues. We are still sampling interest out there. Seems decent (not as big as the 7")

1. The Moderns are much cheaper to produce (in small quantities). It's a much simpler setup. Only 1 mold needed.

2. The Classic would need a 2-3 molds made = $25-40k starting cost with testing.

3. The Moderns meet DOT specs and have a much better light output than the Classics (due to projector size)

4. Classics do not meet DOT specs (harder to wholesale).

Unless we can put together.... $10-15k in pre-orders... Classics would have to wait a bit. We were able to put $10-15k together on hybridz to start the 7".

PS the Moderns really don't protrude out that much. We'll post up some pictures once we get a test fitter.

are the prototypes what are available now, and im assuming limited quantities

im sure most of us prefer the classic style over the modern

I have two sets of Modern prototypes available right now.

Are the HID kits you are selling DOT approved? Reason I ask, I just had a shipment seized.

Not a majority of them. Haven't ordered any in a while though. I'm probably going to order DOT ballasts from now on if I need to. (No DOT H1 bulbs).

I'm starting to stay away from anything HID. All my kits will eventually come with halogen bulbs and harnesses that can be converted to HID.

How many kits got seized?