Projector Headlights

Installation and performance look fantastic. Now patiently waiting for classics to arrive.

Just make your own.

These housings (glass fronts, and metal backings)

http://www.amazon.com/Vision-VX-575-Sealed-Replacement-Light/dp/B000ESB8K4/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1346568588&sr=1-6&keywords=sealed+beam+replacement

And these projectors, (these need D2S bulbs)

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=236

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still love my ellipsoids, they look way better. How many ways is there to gather and focus a light beam? You guys keep saying that projector technology has progressed so so much but a projector is still an ellipsoid lens with a cutoff shield.

lols. I have ellipsoids. They are miserable really.

the real problem with them is the actual reflector inside the projector. The lenses are great (people use them in RX330 projectors to increase the light output).

I put HIDs in my ellipsoids, because with halogen bulbs, my sealed beams did better with putting light out. Now the lights are "alright". Still nothing to compare to new cars in general, Reflector or Projector. Too much light is lost.

Any one who wants to dramatically increase their light output without going to projectors or HIDS, look up Hella Bi-Focus lights. Should be drop in, just have to rewire for the new bulb.

the modern style doesnt look bad in the 810, sticks out too far on the 510 for my taste. the light output is amazing

I agree. The 810 has rather deep bezels so the lights don't stick out nearly as much as they do on cars with relatively flat bezels like a 510. I was pleasantly surprised by how they look on my wagon.

• 1 month later...

So any good news on these lights yet.And good meeting you at the JCCS.

Haha. Took us a while to remember who you were. Since everyone wanted the classics we decided to scrap the moderns (for the time being) and figure out an affordable classic setup. Still 4-8 months out.

Biggest issue is clearance. Using a small projector (decent output) it comes out to about 4.6" which should work.

We want to put the upgraded projectors in there which pushes them out to about 5.6" which is too long. A stock light is about 3.25" deep. The modern is about 3.2" deep

Why is there such a difference in size? I'm sure many appreciate you switching to classics instead of moderns... I'm sure it was tough to walk away from the money spent already. I know I'll be on for a set of classics when everything gets figured out. My lights suck right now.

Why is there such a difference in size? I'm sure many appreciate you switching to classics instead of moderns... I'm sure it was tough to walk away from the money spent already. I know I'll be on for a set of classics when everything gets figured out. My lights suck right now.

The moderns stick out forward from the mounting ring about 2"+ which allows us to put in a much larger/nicer projector. The classics start pretty much at the mounting ring so all the extra depth has to go to the rear.

It's a niche market. Gotta provide what people want.

This. I have no problems making my buckets deeper, though a direct no mod bolt-in would be nice.

Well, cut the back inch off the buckets. Still use the 3 locating tabs that the sealed beams use. And bammo. Cutting the back inch off takes like 1 minute of careful cutting with a grinder.

New update. Costs weren't as high on the Modern style as we expected.

I can get this rolling if we can put together a group buy of 50 sets. (Should take about 3-4 months to arrive). We have a great reputation in the Z community and will provide invoices for all transactions and pre-orders.

Here is the pricing:

(2 Lights) Low Only: $229

(4 Lights) Low Only + High Halogen Only: $289

(2 Lights) Bi-Xenon: $269

(4 Lights) Bi-Xenon + High Halogen Only: $339

Add an HID kit (5 Year Warranty) for $100

We were able to pull off a 50 man GB for the 7" kits. Classics are a ways out because of the projector redesign. It would be great if you guys would share this with your friends, other sites or forums, anyone who might be interested in these kits.

Here is a review from Adam who graciously took the time to review a 4 headlight non bi-xenon kit.

Group Buy List:

• 2 months later...
I''m bringing this thread back from the dead to see if anything ever came about.

I've checked the website and still only see the 7"

I HAVE to get something better from my 620 than halogen's.

We never got enough support for the Moderns.

If we can get a GB of 50 sets, I'll make the Classics happen. Pricing will be $250 for low beams (2 bi-xenon lights).

+$40 for non-projector halogen high beams.

+$100 for projector halogen high beams

+$100 for H1 HID kit (5 year warranty with HID system)

Free Shipping. 5 Year warranty on all kits. Includes relayed HID harnesses as well as halogen harnesses and bulbs.

The link to buy in is here: http://www.dapperlighting.com/products/dapper-lighting-5-3-4-projector-headlight-group-buy-in

• 2 months later...

Dear Sirs,

Can I be part of your R&D Team?

Meaning can I test (and report back) any 2 of your old sittin' around collecting dust 5 3/4" prototypes?

Length is not an issue.

Heck... I'll even pay for shipping.

and/or donate to any charity you guys choose.

Just let me know. I look forward to working with you.

Thanks Ben & the whole Dapper Lighting Team.

Ian

Dear Sirs,

Can I be part of your R&D Team?

Meaning can I test (and report back) any 2 of your old sittin' around collecting dust 5 3/4" prototypes?

Length is not an issue.

Heck... I'll even pay for shipping.

and/or donate to any charity you guys choose.

Just let me know. I look forward to working with you.

Thanks Ben & the whole Dapper Lighting Team.

Ian

Hey Ian,

Shoot me an email at Ben@dapperlighting.com

Thanks!