Projector Headlights

I believe 610/710 have a battery behind one set of lights. Like mentioned, its not just one model.

For reference of ideas that I have head for "legit" projectors that are small.

I was going to use H4 clear lense halogen housings (for the 5 3/4 clear lense(covering)).

Then I was going to retrofit in some of these: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=236

Take a look around their site, if you dont know already, they are a top notch shop and will probably help you with dimensions of certain products that they sell.

I am so looking forward to this! I have the BMW ellipsoids, but they have flutted glass coverings, and are not setup for HID's. I have searched high and low for a real Projector 5 3/4 unit and have never found one, so please get this out!

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well he says he wants to focus on 510's!!!!!! from the sounds of it probably around 300 lighting upgrade? he needs a 510 there to really fit these lights. if a 100% bolt in they have to clear the housing and inner fender along with washer bottle. i spent countless hours modding my 510's body to fit the bmw ellipsoids. i hate the looks but love the light output at night. im blind. it would be wise to us projectors specifically designed to run hids and address the wiring issues. 510's run a constant power and switchable grounds.

We use a projector similar to that one you listed. These will have a clear glass lens instead of flutted. We successfully built one for the 7" round and did a ~50 member group buy over on hybridz.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Hi Ben,

This is David (qwik240z) from HybridZ, I bought your lights for my Z and they are really nice.

I have the BMW ellipsoids for my 510 and the inner fender wells needed to be heavily massaged to clear the backs of the projectors. If you could shorten yours to fit without mods, I know you will make alot of 510 owners very happy. You can put me down for a set as I have 3 510s now and would want to put them into one of my cars.

You may also want to post on www.the510realm.com as lots of folks there will be interested too.

Good luck with the R & D.

interesting. I test fit a projector kit a year ago (DOT apporved for HID's) and it fit behind the brackets just fine...but in front was NASTY.

I would be interested in seeing if you can find a solution that is similar to the BMW ones but not as deep on the back end. Not sure its possible since most projector housings are close to a standard length (OEM ones anyways)...after market optics suck IMO.

Standard sealed beam next to a 'euro' ellipsoid. I assume that the US spec and the euro one are about the same length. The main difference I think I remember when I had the US and euro ones side by side was that the bulb holder piece was smaller on the US one.

2012-02-02_11-09-09_963.jpg

edit: adding a few more pics that may be useful.

The bucket that the headlight sits in is only about 1 3/4" in length with a taper as it goes down.

2012-02-02_11-21-06_524.jpg

At the bottom/back of the bucket the opening shrinks to about 4"

2012-02-02_11-21-58_683.jpg

Hi Ben,

This is David (qwik240z) from HybridZ, I bought your lights for my Z and they are really nice.

I have the BMW ellipsoids for my 510 and the inner fender wells needed to be heavily massaged to clear the backs of the projectors. If you could shorten yours to fit without mods, I know you will make alot of 510 owners very happy. You can put me down for a set as I have 3 510s now and would want to put them into one of my cars.

You may also want to post on www.the510realm.com as lots of folks there will be interested too.

Good luck with the R & D.

David How are you doing. Glad you are enjoying the set for the Z. I will definitely post on that fourm. Also if you guys don't mind spreading the word a bit, it really helps us with the initial builds to have a bunch of people on board.

Standard sealed beam next to a 'euro' ellipsoid. I assume that the US spec and the euro one are about the same length. The main difference I think I remember when I had the US and euro ones side by side was that the bulb holder piece was smaller on the US one.

2012-02-02_11-09-09_963.jpg

edit: adding a few more pics that may be useful.

The bucket that the headlight sits in is only about 1 3/4" in length with a taper as it goes down.

2012-02-02_11-21-06_524.jpg

At the bottom/back of the bucket the opening shrinks to about 4"

2012-02-02_11-21-58_683.jpg

Thanks for those pictures. We've got the light down to about 4-1/2" right now. It's significantly smaller than the BMW projectors. Think it will clear?

im in also for a couple of sets......but I dont like the idea of clear front glass or jeweled reflector. Euro style glass is perfect and will keep the car lookin on its era.

For some reason manufactures don't like to put that style glass on these. I've requested it many many times and they won't do it. I'll see what I can do to keep them not so... clear.

which type of bulb are you guys considering to use? 9006 or H4?Im actually using H4 HID's. Suscribed to this thread and @ facebook too!

We are going with either H1 or H3. We probably won't know till the last minute.

I've got some homework to finish up but then I'm going to be in the garage until class starts in a few hours. I'll pull the US ellipsoids from the car and set that next to the euro one so people can see the differences. I'll also see if I can shape a piece of cardboard to conform to the shape of the bucket so you can get an overall idea of how it should fit. I figure if you can get close to the shape of the sealed beam it'll fit.

I too did the ellipsoid BMW conversion, like the ones David posted. The two caveats to this swap are the length, and the modification of the headlight bucket. Rrying to get any tpye of projector into a stock headlight bucket will probably be really tough. Maybe the length could be shortened more easy so people don't have to massage the fender well for them to fit.

Euro left US right.

2012-02-02_14-35-36_900.jpg

Without the cap on the end (which protects the bulb from debris) the two are about the same overall length. Bulb holder and mounting points to the reflector housing are different enough to not make it a direct swap so I have to get new bulbs for the euro lights unless I really feel like spending some time trying to mate them together, who knows, I just might. The reflector housing (hope that's the right term) have very small differences, mainly a few open cavities on the US one whereas on the euro one that's where the bulb holder mounts.

Not perfect but it's a decent approximation of the bucket. I did notice that when I measured the bottom of the bucket before I measured from the side to the inside of the lip part. When I measured the inside of the lip part with my cheapo caliper it measured 3 3/4" wide.

2012-02-02_14-49-40_381.jpg

Had no idea how to show how much space (or lack thereof) the sealed beam takes up I just took a quick shot of it in the bucket.

2012-02-02_14-50-52_689.jpg

I could easily get my thumb in the space that was unoccupied.

H! You're THAT Ben from hybridZ. I saw some of your black HID projectors like these ones:

DSCF0486.jpg

Did you ever get the "traditional" ones sorted out? I knew the manufacturer kept pushing back your project, so I ended up making my aforementioned ones on my own (still need to tweak the angle a bit).

As mentioned before though, you're going to have to take into account that 510's switch their grounds instead of their powers (I believe). Ultimately the HID controller shouldn't care though.

H! You're THAT Ben from hybridZ. I saw some of your black HID projectors like these ones:

DSCF0486.jpg

Did you ever get the "traditional" ones sorted out? I knew the manufacturer kept pushing back your project, so I ended up making my aforementioned ones on my own (still need to tweak the angle a bit).

As mentioned before though, you're going to have to take into account that 510's switch their grounds instead of their powers (I believe). Ultimately the HID controller shouldn't care though.

I am that Ben! Yes we did get those sorted out and they have been incredible. Here is a link to them

Thanks for the heads up on the wiring. It shouldn't be an issue though. We'll venture that route after the sets get into production.

I'd deff buy at least one set for my 620 depending on price.

I'm hoping to keep this under $300 for a set (not sure if it will include HIDs or not yet). Keep in mind this price could change dramatically up or down once we get production costs nailed down.

Euro left US right.

2012-02-02_14-35-36_900.jpg

Without the cap on the end (which protects the bulb from debris) the two are about the same overall length. Bulb holder and mounting points to the reflector housing are different enough to not make it a direct swap so I have to get new bulbs for the euro lights unless I really feel like spending some time trying to mate them together, who knows, I just might. The reflector housing (hope that's the right term) have very small differences, mainly a few open cavities on the US one whereas on the euro one that's where the bulb holder mounts.

Not perfect but it's a decent approximation of the bucket. I did notice that when I measured the bottom of the bucket before I measured from the side to the inside of the lip part. When I measured the inside of the lip part with my cheapo caliper it measured 3 3/4" wide.

2012-02-02_14-49-40_381.jpg

Had no idea how to show how much space (or lack thereof) the sealed beam takes up I just took a quick shot of it in the bucket.

2012-02-02_14-50-52_689.jpg

I could easily get my thumb in the space that was unoccupied.

Thanks for the pictures. It helps a lot!

Putting HID kits are going to be harder and harder with the DOT and customs cracking down.. I just had a shipment "detained"....

Lets see some LED headlamps that aren't $500 each....

So of the lamps on your site look like some DOT HID retrofit kits. I tried those on my 510 and they looked like crap. I'll dig up some photos.