Need a Christmas miracle

Hello, I'm fairly new to the forum, joined a few weeks ago. I had a thread that I created when I first joined asking about any Datsun 620's near by Houston for sale. So I did find one on craigslist, went yesterday to check it out in Dallas and it seemed to be running fair.

So I bought it from the guy on for a fair price and was driving it back to Houston. About an hour and a half way down towards Houston, I heard some sort of loud misfire type of noise and everything just shut down. I managed to get it on the shoulder of the freeway and took a look at it. It's something internal inside the engine and would not run.

Lucky a friend of mine was following me so I did manage to get back home but I could not get in hold of anyone capable of helping me bring back the truck to Houston. I had to leave it there, and I'm just hating myself for it. So I ask you fellow Ratsun members; knowing it's a holiday for many of us and most of us are busy but if there's anyone that can help me get tow the truck back to Houston I would be forever in debt. I can help with gas and such but I don't have enough money for a wrecker (which were asking over $1200). I just need some sort of miracle, please.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If towing more than 30 -50 miles you should disconnect the driveshaft at the diff and wire it SECURELY up out of the way. The counter shaft won't be turning when towing in neutral and the mainshaft bearings won't be getting any splash lube.

If towing more than 30 -50 miles you should disconnect the driveshaft at the diff and wire it SECURELY up out of the way. The counter shaft won't be turning when towing in neutral and the mainshaft bearings won't be getting any splash lube.

Unless I tow it from the front up, right? Thanks for letting me know, didn't think about that

How exactly would this work?

AAA goes with the driver, not the car, so AAA insured person just has to claim they were driving. However towing is usually limited to nearest place of repair of your choice within reason, usually less than 60 miles or so IIRC. So if you have a long ways to go, tow dolly is the way.

AAA goes with the driver, not the car, so AAA insured person just has to claim they were driving. However towing is usually limited to nearest place of repair of your choice within reason, usually less than 60 miles or so IIRC. So if you have a long ways to go, tow dolly is the way.

I see, unfortunately its going to be about 300miles.

Oh, yeah, 300 is a bit outside of the range that they'll tow for free. Their different plans allow different mileage, but I know that their "Plus" or "Premium" plan allows 100 miles free. I've used it more times than I can count between my old '81 Subaru and cars since then. As long as a member with their card is with you, the car will be towed to your choice of place. Their only requirement is that they will only tow the car once, so if you tow it home, you won't be able to use AAA again to tow the same car to a mechanic, etc.

But yeah, 300 is going to be one hell of a bill with a tow truck, so clearly getting it towed by a rented or privately owned trailer will be your cheapest bet. It was worth a shot though, I don't know shit about where cities are in Texas.... guess I could have used google maps :P

Sucks that it's Christmas day though. I'd do like others recommended and see if you can check on it today, and then go tow it tomorrow when places are open to rent from.

Unless I tow it from the front up, right? Thanks for letting me know, didn't think about that

If you tow with the front off the ground the rear and the driveshaft is turning and that is not good for the transmission. (anyone remember skunk and JDM510?) If you tow with the rear off the ground you're ok.

If you tow with the front off the ground the rear and the driveshaft is turning and that is not good for the transmission. (anyone remember skunk and JDM510?) If you tow with the rear off the ground you're ok.

Right that's what I meant, the rear off the ground. Good catch, I wouldve completely over looked it

Any other time, I'd be en route with a truck and trailer, but I've got Christmas stuff today, and I'm leaving on a cruise tomorrow. Won't be back til after New year's.

Nissanboy texted me earlier about it. I suggested a Ratsun SOS hoping one of our Texas members had a trailer.

Good luck man. Sorry again.

• Like 1

Any other time, I'd be en route with a truck and trailer, but I've got Christmas stuff today, and I'm leaving on a cruise tomorrow. Won't be back til after New year's.

Nissanboy texted me earlier about it. I suggested a Ratsun SOS hoping one of our Texas members had a trailer.

Good luck man. Sorry again.

It's all good mate, I know I shoudlve done this on a different day but it is what it is. Thanks for the help and have fun on your cruise

So I bought it from the guy on for a fair price and was driving it back to Houston. About an hour and a half way down towards Houston, I heard some sort of loud misfire type of noise and everything just shut down. I managed to get it on the shoulder of the freeway and took a look at it. It's something internal inside the engine and would not run.

Does the engine crank over by hand? How much troubleshooting were you able to do?

This could be a head gasket. It's a $30 fix if you do it yourself at home. Just sayin'...