Picked up another dime

APOD

Picked this up the other day as a birthday present to myself as my birthday is on the 24th.

Its a Jerry cox car for those who know him-

Here is the car back in its prime

6301790003_large.jpg

and here it is as of now

SAM_0007.jpg

SAM_0019.jpg

1321981469.jpg

1321981474.jpg

1321981484.jpg

1321981477.jpg

1321981476.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great save, plus with the bonus parts...you made out like a bandit for that price. Look forward to seeing you get this dime sexy again.

you going to race it as well, or you going for the DD/practical route?

Happy Birthday btw, i bought my BDay dime a month early back in Oct. mine was just on the 13th.

Great save, plus with the bonus parts...you made out like a bandit for that price. Look forward to seeing you get this dime sexy again.

you going to race it as well, or you going for the DD/practical route?

Happy Birthday btw, i bought my BDay dime a month early back in Oct. mine was just on the 13th.

I'm going to make it street car, but track days will be a must, have to put the new core support on and fix that lower quarter then paint., also got enough parts to put my 73 on the road as well.

Thanks,

Started it last night on some starting fluid, fuel pump is dead. no big deal, got to pick one up, then weld on the new core support, fix the rear quarter, paint, then drive.

and here is my other 510 http://community.ratsun.net/topic/23964-1972-datsun-510/

I bought it off this guy^^^

Body damage is not very bad, the worst part had to be the fact that it just sat for 20 years, it was wrecked in the early 70's and just parked, I have the og title for it, so technically i'm the 2nd registered owner, lol

Its getting the body fixed, bre flares, staying white, motor option for this one has been undecided but I have a ford 2.3 turbo motor that would make this car very fun.

Not really into the whole build thread thing but I will try to keep posting more pics as progress is made.

• Like 1
Guest kamakazi620

Thanks,

Started it last night on some starting fluid, fuel pump is dead. no big deal, got to pick one up, then weld on the new core support, fix the rear quarter, paint, then drive.

and here is my other 510 http://community.ratsun.net/topic/23964-1972-datsun-510/

I bought it off this guy^^^

Body damage is not very bad, the worst part had to be the fact that it just sat for 20 years, it was wrecked in the early 70's and just parked, I have the og title for it, so technically i'm the 2nd registered owner, lol

Its getting the body fixed, bre flares, staying white, motor option for this one has been undecided but I have a ford 2.3 turbo motor that would make this car very fun.

Not really into the whole build thread thing but I will try to keep posting more pics as progress is made.

I say do a resto on it PLEASE don't hack it and put a thunderbird 2.3 turbo in it YUCK

• 1 year later...

Just Googled my buddie's name "Jerry Cox and Datsun 510". Wow! I can't find any pictures of my 280z, but this brought back memories. I was the one who actually painted this car. Jerry wanted it painted like the BRE 510's and the first time we painted it Porsche Guards Red on top and my 280 was identical, except it wias Camaro IROC Z28 blue on top. After a repair we did on the 510, we painted his the same as mine. Jerry was a STALLION/ PITBULL. He lived and breathed 510's and forgot more than most of us will ever know. I was lucky to know him. That picture was from Hallett and was 1987 or 1988. He won Driver of the Year in SCCA MidAm once in that car. That was his first 510 and the grandaddy of any street 510's he built later. He actually suffered a mild heart attack racing that car and later lived a very long time with a transplanted heart

Godspeed Jerry

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Wow, I have not been on here in forever!  I happened to also ^^^^^like this guy, google Jerry Cox Datsun Hallett and thats the only pics that populated.  I owned that car (Co-owned) for some time in the late 90's.  I bought it directly from Jerry when I worked at Interparts of Tulsa.  We gave 1500 for it in 97 and the 1600 was fresh but not in the car. Jerry gave us the car, several sets of spare wheels and tires, the newly built l16, 5 speed trans and and all the knowledge anyone could ever ask for when it came to dimes.   There wasnt a a question that couldnt be answered by Jerry.   Outside of the car stuff Jerry was one of the coolest guys you could ever know.  R.I.P. Jerry Cox.

We raced the car for 2 season's at Hallett near Tulsa, Ok.  Right off the trailer with a couple of newb driver's the car was fast and ran in the middle of the pack in the class above us. I had a blast and never had any issues aside from a rocker follower popping off when it was over revved once.  I love that car.

I added the sidedrafts and the rear gears, which should be 3:90.  I also took it to the midnight drags in Tulsa and in its road race ready trim it ran solid 15's all day.  I have no clue what was in the engine as I never questioned the power this thing made.   I would KILL to have that car back....

I wont go into much detail but will say I was screwed royally out of that car by the owner's son at Interparts.  The l20 and another body were all kept from me and hidden and since the car didnt have a title  there wasnt anything I could do.  But, ce la vie`.  

Here's the only pics I have of the car...which includes my ugly mug standing next to it at a Darryl Starbird show in which I trophied!

2573afl.jpg 

dfhawp.jpg 

Btw,....Im baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

• Like 1
  • 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...