Harbor freight to buy/not to buy list

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

..........GOOD ............ ( I'm not a mechanic )

For light usage ... Their drill bits work ok ... Giving one uses a pilot punch , cutting lube , and properly step drills .... Then they last somewhat longer on the larger bits ... The smaller bits break often for me ...

Heat gun works very well !

Three jaw pullers ... Are fair-

Tranny jack works good enough ....

Heavier floor jack is good ... Low profile aluminum one quickly died ...

Hydraulic rams work ok ... If not pulling motors often or maxing out capacity often ... Otherwise get a quality cylinder

1/2" impact sockets work fine for home usage ... Friends cars ... Few side jobs ... Etc ...seen 1 break ... Rest are still good

Grinder ... Works good ... Killed a couple of them ... But .... I used them a lot and was tough on them ...

Electric impact gun ... Fine for lighter use ... A bit noisy ... But fairly powerful for electric really ..

Torque wrench ... Mixed feelings ... I use an old beam style craftsman now since one from harbor freight fell apart on me ... It worked for a bit ... Verfied against another torque wrench . .. I will not buy again ... Lesson learned ... Who knows coulda been my problem lol

Fuel injection test kit works fine ...

Industrial metal cut off saw works very well for me ...

Pencil torch .. good

Soldering gun ... Good

Hand truck works surprising well ...

......... BAD ..............

Vehicle dollys are shit ....

Vise grips can be dissapointing ... Depending on your usage or purpose.

Oiless compressors ... No thankyou .....

Flux welding wire spoils ... Avoid

Reciprocating saw blades ... Shit ... Buy Milwaukee or DeWalt etc ...

Cheap version recipeocating saw ... Shit ... Stripped out gears !!!

Throatless shear - Highly recommended

English wheel - It seems to do the job, it has a little bit of flex

Heavy duty shrinker/strecher - really good

Planishing hammer - I had to return it, they dies are really crappy

Bead Roller - Don't buy it, it's crap

I don' trust most of their pneumatic tools, they seem really loud and last about 6 months with frequent use.

I heard good things about their earthquake impacts but I had never tried them.

i like

the auto darkening welding helmet

metal break ( not used much and dont rush)

the orange 4" grinder is sweet have 2 of them

there is more just cant think of them now

dislike

the blue 4" grinder( exploded when a tooth broke )

i have bent every c clamp

grinding wheels are junk

Just bought, first try, one turn.

2010-10-31171141.jpg

I've seen guys do this to Mac and Snap On 3/8 to 1/4's, usually cuz they couldn't find the right size socket in a 3/8. At least if it's a Pittsburgh you can run down to HF and get it replaced free, and not have to wait for the truck guy to come to you.

Rusty datsun parts. Prolly one of them tricky 521 bolts that you think is metric untill the rust breaks off only to realize its a std fastener and your bleeding!

Err, I dislike working on 521's. 510s are so much easier, not that a 521 is difficult.

+1 4" Angle Grinder... Buy them with a coupon for $9.99. Got one for grinding, cut off and a sanding disk.

-1 Small blue dremel thing - I went with a Foredom Tool cable grinder on the advise of my Jeweler brother. Motor hangs from the ceiling. You can do dentistry in the garage with this. :)

I broke the 1/2 to 3/8 socket adapter using a 2 ft. breaker bar.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed.

Anyone know how the threaded insert rivet gun works and if they sell insert refills? Can't seem to find refills anywhere for them.

The small wire wheel cups work ok with moderate use....

It's self explanatory once u buy and try ;) I have one ... Load it , grip , it pushes through , expands head , and clips in one stroke

Hf sells an assortment of refills ... Look through the aisles carefully :)

The small wire wheel cups work ok with moderate use....

It's self explanatory once u buy and try ;) I have one ... Load it , grip , it pushes through , expands head , and clips in one stroke

Hf sells an assortment of refills ... Look through the aisles carefully :)

Oh I know how it works, I have their standard rivet gun with the swivel head, and other than getting the pin stuck inside it now and then, it's been good. I just wanted to make sure the thread ones were a nice. I'm glad to hear they have refills, I wasn't able to find any mention of them on the web site. There's a number of projects that I have that being able to add threaded mounting points would be a huge bonus. Thank you for the info DTP.

Oh I know how it works, I have their standard rivet gun with the swivel head, and other than getting the pin stuck inside it now and then, it's been good. I just wanted to make sure the thread ones were a nice. I'm glad to hear they have refills, I wasn't able to find any mention of them on the web site. There's a number of projects that I have that being able to add threaded mounting points would be a huge bonus. Thank you for the info DTP.

Oh sorry bout that Haha ...

I have noticed different Hf stores have Different inventory ... Some workers are helpful ... Some don't know either way ... I found I have to physically go and look myself :)

I'm sure you can buy them if Hf does not have ... Just expect to pay a bit more as you planned

Another method is to drill a hole ,,, let's say 1/8" ... Stick bolt through with washer ,,, on other side install nut ... Then grab your MIG welder ... Tack weld nut ... Pull out bolt and done !!! Threads into sheetmetal or whatever !!! For extra flare use Allen head bolts or possibly recessed holes , or torque head bolts if you wish !!! I like this method and datsun used this method to attach our genders on the top edges ... :)

Of course it sounds like you want a nice , tight and neat look. Or you are working in tight spaces where you cannot use this method .

Best luck man !!!

Oh sorry bout that Haha ...

I have noticed different Hf stores have Different inventory ... Some workers are helpful ... Some don't know either way ... I found I have to physically go and look myself :)

I'm sure you can buy them if Hf does not have ... Just expect to pay a bit more as you planned

Another method is to drill a hole ,,, let's say 1/8" ... Stick bolt through with washer ,,, on other side install nut ... Then grab your MIG welder ... Tack weld nut ... Pull out bolt and done !!! Threads into sheetmetal or whatever !!! For extra flare use Allen head bolts or possibly recessed holes , or torque head bolts if you wish !!! I like this method and datsun used this method to attach our genders on the top edges ... :)

Of course it sounds like you want a nice , tight and neat look. Or you are working in tight spaces where you cannot use this method .

Best luck man !!!

I used that exact method when making my coil bracket :) Terrible welds of course :)

168110_1824522217071_1360731108_2036345_6155658_n.jpg

Powder coated in a toaster.

163645_1826352782834_1360731108_2040361_3858437_n.jpg

Looking pretty! Should have used chrome cap head screws though.

184643_1870236119890_1360731108_2120515_3180791_n.jpg

• 3 years later...

I think there was a better thread on harbor freight crap but it's hard to search on my phone.

Anyways, who's got a harbor freight compressor? Finally have a garage and want to get one. Can't find squat used. Will just be used to run air tools

Any input will be appreciated

Looking at the 21 gallon 2 1/2 hp cast iron one

To add to the list in this thread. Screw their battery chargers. Gone through three of em

Thanks

Jef

I have the HF 10gal horizontal tank one. Works well, No way it puts out the claimed 5.3 SCFM @90. But is pretty good. I hook it up to the the HF 11gal portable tank for extra capacity, worked well for painting a car, and allowed me to keep the compressor further away for noise management.

Mine is kinda loud. I have heard the HF oil ones (Black ones) are ok. Just make sure to break in the compressor and change out the fluid right after.