"Datsunami" 510 SR23DET S14 Build.... SR-TITTY-THREE!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also got my dual fan controller wired up and installed with help from Akumazedex.

Thanks dudemanbro!

All self contained with relays and beakers all encapsulated in resin to protect the board and surface electronics from the elements.

Has a pot to adjust initial fan temp and the second fan turns on 10° F later.

2013-06-02170902_zpsd2778503.jpg

2013-06-02171106_zpsb0f5b3b0.jpg

2013-06-02171335_zps7b349ebf.jpg

2013-06-02171407_zpsc09bd83b.jpg

Also picked up a set of these Password JDM Hood Risers for cooling purposes. (ok, for lulz, style and win too. Hahaha) They raise the rear of the hood about 3/4" to help heat to escape. :p

2013-06-14101328_zps70d3820a.jpg

BTW, they are advertised for use with the RSX. The mount hole pitch is literally 2 millimeters different than the 510. I have both so was able to verify if this block would work and it fits perfectly ;)

The problem with the hood risers, is that they really only work when the car is stopped. At speed there's a high pressure zone at the base of the windshield. Which is why most the American (Camaro and Mustang) guys have their hood scoops at the *back* of the hood, it's to let air *IN*.

Everything I have read says that air coming in from the rear of the hood helps to keep temps down.

From all the research Ive seen, the negatives far outweigh the positives. I believe the last couple tests I saw done, lowered overall bay temp by ~10*, but by opening up the back of the hood, pressures drop as well. You need a decently high PSID to maintain the effectiveness of your radiator. They saw a marked increase in coolant temps that would more frequently kick on the fans and for longer periods of time to deal with the heat created. Personally, I feel that if I spent all this money on your build, I wouldnt want to overwork any of it over a $10 part thats not needed. 

Hell, youre in SoCal... just fashion up a CAI since there is minimal chance of water or run a highlight funnel or a NACA duct. All those last options will give you cooler intake temps without sacrificing the efficiency of your radiator. 

Maybe i'll do some experiments and see how they perform both ways.

I am also wondering that if the sir is coming into the rear of the hood if it will keep the MC temps Down

Since they are right there.

I do know that when I removed my head light to get air into the intake, my maf didn't like the forced air.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks bro. It's simple but I think it will do the trick. Took me forever to make up my mind where to mount it all.

Was going to do it in the spare tire well but didn't want to sacrafice storage. And in the future I may want to do

a custom fuel cell and the other side is my battery so I settled on where it's at now.

That makes perfect sense to me. I'm still not 100% sure where I want to mount the surge tank when I finish up my fuel system. I am definitely keeping a spare tire in the spare tire well and keeping stock gas tank for now. I would like to mount the same style of carpet I have in the interior to boards and cover the gas tank and spare tire so I have an actual trunk LOL... we'll see. It's not that important to me right now. 

Regardless, your setup is awesome with all that AN line and the giant bosch pump :D

YAY!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...