"Datsunami" 510 SR23DET S14 Build.... SR-TITTY-THREE!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the pointers you guys. As soon as I drop my daughter off. I will get to the turbo.

Will a butane touch work?

Adam, I feel I will be driving her within 2 months! It's ben this long already, no need to rush through it now right?

Hehehe I just need to get this turbo stuff sorted and installed then I can take it to the fab place to do my intake pipe and cold pipe.

Then off to startup and tune. Fingers crossed.... ;)

It took me 90 mins of pounding, heating and prying, to finally get the turbine housing off. Lol

It was the hammer and screwdriver wedge that did it. Thanks man!

Unfortunately my win was short lived. The diameter/profile of the new turbine blade is bigger/different than the old one and dont fit into the housing :(

Shit, another setback time wise and finacially :( Cause I know imma have to have that shit ceramic coated

and thats going to take longer to get it all done. Fuck

2014-07-21180618_zpsb1043361.jpg

2014-07-21180855_zpsc5b45f5b.jpg

So is porting the turbine housing out of the question? I think the steel turbine housings are only a couple hundred bucks and no more rust...

those are considerably different :(

The profile of the blades are different a well as the diameter. The guys over at ATP told me this would fit into my housing. Specifically a GT2871R.

How do I tell what housing this is? The previous owner told me it was a GT2871R but there were MANY things he said that were lies so now I am curious to what this housing is from. How can I find out?

Nice new page #54 ;)

Well, had to get a new turbine housing :( At least it's new and a .86 AR housing.

Anyone have a hook up or referral on a shop that does ceramic coatings?

The more local to the the Bay Area Cali the better.

Post up and let me know.... Thanks guys

ATP-HSG-005_450_zps3752942c.jpg

Anyone have a hook up or referral on a shop that does ceramic coatings?

The more local to the the Bay Area Cali the better.

Accessories Plus, in Belmont, is where Troy sent my N/A header for thermal coating ... I think he used their most popular 'fake chrome' thermal coating

I'm not sure if it's strong enough for the heat of a turbo housing .... but they would know what is

Accessories Plus, in Belmont, is where Troy sent my N/A header for thermal coating ... I think he used their most popular 'fake chrome' thermal coatingI'm not sure if it's strong enough for the heat of a turbo housing .... but they would know what is ..... my header looks like this: (it matches polished aluminum)

Ya, I emailed them. That is probably the Chromex coating. I was told it it's only good up to 1300° f.
The satin coating is good up to 2000° f. Imma go with that. Thanks Indy.

And the new .86 housing came in and came with a few freebies :D
Came with new CHRA retainment brackets, screws and the little clip for the actuator arm.
About $18 value not to mention a great price on the housing.

2014-07-24144958_zpsa49b537f.jpg

2014-07-24144909_zpsaea3fc9e.jpg

• Like 2

Turns out I did a little research on ly old Turbo by Googling the tag.

Says its a GT2860R From an S15 SR20DET.

The previous owner, fucking bitch ass fool fucking dick head mother fucken lying mexican dude previouEDGER(EDWIN) BRAVO in Las Angeles told me it was a GT2871R.

That mutherfucker lied about so fucking much on this car. If I knew then what I know now I would have not paid the price I did.

And that fat fuck was getting married and and I bought him a Bottle of wine to go with the check I wrote him trying to be nice.

I've had to redo 80% of this car because of his poor skills and hack jobs.

Do NOT do any business with this guy!

2014-07-23212039_zps78d0f653.jpg

See, that works out perfectly then :D

Hahaha, Yes, I guess it does. Specially since I only plan to do a mild build. Forged Pistons, Rods, etc. Only a few thou over.

So this will be perfect. And I am working with Garrett to get more info on it and to see if it is eligible for the CHRA Exchange program....

I'll keep you all informed with that.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Got my Turbine Housing back. 
Looks great. Was done by Performance Coatings In Auburn, Washington.
They fully coated it inside and out. Is this okay?

I contacted several companies and they all quoted between $100 and $170 to just Ceramic coat the Housing. 

Performance Coatings quoted me $55. My work gives me discounted shipping so for $10 bucks each way it would 

have been $75. An Awesome Deal. Well, turns out they only charged me $45 so this costed me a total of $65. 
I'd say that was worth. I almost didn't even bother but I remembered that I need to be patient and it paid off  :lol: 

2014-08-12100210_zps2e71f1f3.jpg

2014-08-12100222_zpsa7e7af97.jpg

2014-08-12103135_zps84f8e8e4.jpg

• Like 1

Installed the turbo but can't get a wrench onto the 12 point ARP mounting nuts on the back 2 studs.

I need some regular 6 sided nuts so I can access it from the side with an open end wrench.

Can I just use Stainless Hex Nuts?

But this is pretty much what its going to look like....

2014-08-16133132_zps23c9d933.jpg

• Like 3