"Datsunami" 510 SR23DET S14 Build.... SR-TITTY-THREE!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question:

"Should I fill my motor with oil now while it sits? It is bone empty from assembly.

Will anything rust if it is dry?? It's parked in my garage in Northern California Bay Area.

The weather is no real extreme here. I just don't want anything to rust on it....

Oil sitting in the pan wont accomplish anything. Spraying some oil on the cam / valve tran and down the cylinder holes wouldn't be a bad idea if it has or is going to be a long time since build to startup. Just don't let the smoke on startup scare you.

Looking really great!

• Like 1
Hey all, This is my first real build thread.

I am planning a rebuild of the motor set over this winter and want to document it. I am currently amassing parts needed for the re-build (and some just because) Not going too crazy but I do want a solid runner. A little history on this car..... First off, I got beat up on the price when I first bought this car 4 years ago. Being a slight noob, I did not pay attention to the things I should have. But I've learned a massive amount in the 4 years that I have owned it. This car was a mess when I first got it. To give you an example, the r160 subi LSD diff blew 1 day after I got it. Sheared every ring gear bolt head right off. The fab for the swap was about the only thing done right on this car. It's been a California Car all it’s life and has little to no rust! The previous owner in L.A. cut so many corners and did some stupid back yard shit to it but she is my baby now and she's gonna get treated right. I rescued her from a hack and it will just take some time to go through it all.

I will add more description here later as I have the time but here is a list of upgrades I can think of right now:

* S14 SR20DET Blacktop with VVT

* GT28 Garret Turbo

* Blitz V-mount Intercooler 2.5” In and Out Piping

* Synapse Synchronic BOV (open to atmosphere)

* Z32 MAF

* APEXi Power FC with custom unused wire delete (By Jordan Innovations)

* Custom Mil-spec wiring and Sleeving from head to toe (By Jordan Innovations)

* Mil-spec bulkhead connectors on the firewall (By Jordan Innovations)

* Force 10-15psi Re-buildable Internal Wastegate Actuator

* Blitz ID electronic Boost Controller

* Blitz FATT Turbo timer

* Stock OEM FPR

* 850cc Sard Injectors

* NGK BKR8EIX Iridium Spark Plugs (+2 cold levels)

* Auto Meter 4378 Ultra-Lite Wideband Air/Fuel Gauge

* Walbro 255 Fuel Pump

* Custom Nissan 300ZX in-tank Fuel Pump 510 Gas tank conversion

* Custom Aluminum Pie Cut Intake Tube

* HKS Mushroom Intake Filter

* Greddy Polished Intake Plenum

* Greddy Blue Powder Coated Oil Pan

* Greddy Pulleys

* Reground Cams

* 60mm Bore Custom Primera Throttle body

* JDM Moonface Easy Throttle Pulley

* Datsport Steering Box Brace support

* All Earls fittings and hoses

* Custom 3" down pipe and Exhaust all the way through

* Apexi N1 style Exhaust

* Stock Nissan clutch and Flywheel

* Front Ground Control Coil-overs on 280z struts

* Rear QA1 Coil-overs

* Front 4 pot Jaguar Calipers

* Rear 2 pot Wilwood Brakes (I also have the fronts but like the Jaguar Calipers for now)

* Brembo Slotted rotors F/R

* SS Brake lines throughout

* Custom SS hard fuel lines

* Techno Toy Tuning (3T) Adjustable Tension Rod.

* R200 Diff

* Nismo 2 way clutch pack LSD

* Wolf Creek Racing CV Kit (all safety wired)

* Extended lug studs

* Perrin 22mm Rear sway bar w/ custom sunken spherical end-links

* Custom slotted rear cross member w/ 3.5 exhaust hole.

* Datsport Mustache Bar

* All poly bushings throughout

* All Autometer Ultra-lite II full sweep Electric gauges (Boost, Oil Press, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Speedo, Tach, volts, Gas level)

* BMW E32 HIDS

* 2002 tii BMW Flag Mirrors

* 1968 Grill w/ JDM Delux emblem

* Custom 4 point Roll Cage w/hard Harness Bar and removable diagonal all Powder Coated Wrinkle Red (by Blain Fabrication)

* Custom reinforced roll cage mounting points (1/4" main stay landing pads tied into main body w/eye bolt locations for harness. (by Blaine Fabrication)

Same with rear mounting points) (by Blaine Fabrication)

* Silvia Shift Knob and Trunk Lock

* Recaro Evo 8 seats (Want to replaced these w/Bride Vorga HL’s in Black Graduation or Vorga Japan Series.) (drool)

* Sparco 3” 4 point Cam Harness’

* Personal 1979 Special Edition Monza Steering Wheel ith Old School DATSUN Horn Button

* Custom black Interior with black suede roof liner

* 1969 Metal C Pillar Vents

* Optima Yellow Battery relocated to trunk

* JDM Weld Coilpack Cover (also have ARC, CF and Origin Labo one too)

* 15” Hoshino Impul Pro Mesh Wheels custom powder coated gold with polished lips

* Custom Datsun Sill Plates done in Texiluim Aluminated Carbon Fiber (Silver) (by Pare' Composites)

Much more details and still more to go………

Had it Dyno tuned to a conservative 250HP

Well, Here are some pics of my ride as it sits now....

510CRSXMeet4-9-11.jpg

510CRSXMeet4-9-114.jpg

BLOXOH2011My510.jpg

BLOXOP2011Engine.jpg

POSTED UPDATES

Post #02 - THE CLEAN UP (pics) 11/10/11

Post #03 - A FEW PROCUREMENTS (pics) 11/10/11

Post #04 - A FEW TSR PARTS (pics) 11/11/11

Post #36 - ARC Coil Pack Cover (pics) 11/15/11

Post #55 - Spung Blitz Twin Disc Active Clutch (pics) 12/19/11

Post #58 - Picked up an S14 short Block for rework (pics) 1/10/12

Post #60 - Decision Update, I'm goin' with a stroked SR23DET 1/10/12

Post #66 - Got my Stroker Kit (pics) 2/20/12

Post #75 - New Rocker Arms (pic) 2/27/12

Post #81 - All motor stuff packed up and ready to go! 3/05/12

Post #82 - Engine Bay Over View (pics) 3/07/12

Post #94 - uShip Quote 3/09/12

Post #106 - Started tearing down engine for removal. Picked up the Paint for the Engine Bay (pics) 4/06/12

Post #107 - Picked up my SUrge tank. (pics) 4/10/12

Post #108 - Recieved first pics of my Motor from Mazworx. The Cleaned Block. (pics) 4/11/12

Post #110 - Motor removed. Engine Bay Assesment. (pics) 4/12/12

Post #115 - Polished up my Intercooler (pics) 4/14/12

Post #123 - Polished up my Grill, eyebrows, brake master cylinder and SR water neck. (pics) 4/15/12

So nice.

• Like 1
Man, I edited my pics in Photobucket and the edits don't show up here but they do on Photobucket?!?! WTF? 

All the pics above were straight and cropped nice...  :confused:

Look nice and straight to me! Regardless, I figured I'd chime in and let you know how pumped I am on this car. I haven't touched my Z in weeks, but it's nice to come on here and find inspiration for when I do muster up the motivation to dive back in.

Keep it up, padre!

Look nice and straight to me! Regardless, I figured I'd chime in and let you know how pumped I am on this car. I haven't touched my Z in weeks, but it's nice to come on here and find inspiration for when I do muster up the motivation to dive back in.

Keep it up, padre!

Ya, I went in and just saved the edited pics as a different name and it kept the edits. "Damn Free Photobucket, Why you give me problems??" LOL!

So Johnny! I see updates! When we gonna have a kick it work on your car day? Lol I got me a daily now so I'm down to come by lol

In two weeks I think I will be free. I won't have my daughter so no buggy buggy. 

I don't have to spend that much money to wire things up cause I already have the fan wires and I am sure wiring up the Second Fuel pump 

won't cost too much for the supplies. I just need to research what I need. 

Any ideas people? 

Man that car I s nice,I just love it.

sighs... ~some beach, some where~

i get sent to a state of euphoria every time i see this car.

Thanks guys. I sincerely love this car too. It has been nothing but problems for me but hopefully, after this stage of the build, most of the old problems will go away forever, 

But I know this game, where old problems go away, new ones take their place. I'm cool with that cause it's only a car. Sooner or later ALL the problems will be gone! 

• Like 1
Thanks guys. I sincerely love this car too. It has been nothing but problems for me but hopefully, after this stage of the build, most of the old problems will go away forever, 

But I know this game, where old problems go away, new ones take their place. I'm cool with that cause it's only a car. Sooner or later ALL the problems will be gone! 

yeah... i keep telling my wife that one day or another, the Datsun will be a turn key driving machine... the thing is, i'm not dumb... i know it will never be finished, but if that's what i gotta do to get her approval, well, that's what i gotta do. lol!

• Like 1
yeah... i keep telling my wife that one day or another, the Datsun will be a turn key driving machine... the thing is, i'm not dumb... i know it will never be finished, but if that's what i gotta do to get her approval, well, that's what i gotta do. lol!

Mums the word. But I am sure she is not dumb either. She'd just gathering ammo for a future use... Hahaha 

But you know this already... LOL!

Man alive, I just read all 41 pages. Talk about inspiration, dedication, and just freaking gorgeous! Can't wait to get my paws on a 510! It definitely won't be up to this caliber, but I'll certain aspire to come at least 20% close to it! 

If we ever meet, I'm buying you a brewski. Looking forward to seeing the final product!

• Like 1
Man alive, I just read all 41 pages. Talk about inspiration, dedication, and just freaking gorgeous! Can't wait to get my paws on a 510! It definitely won't be up to this caliber, but I'll certain aspire to come at least 20% close to it! 

If we ever meet, I'm buying you a brewski. Looking forward to seeing the final product!

Haha, Thanks man. I love when people get excited over it cause it gets me excited over it.

Thanks for reading through the whole thread. I've done that many times too. I'd find a thread full of win and just couldn't stop turning pages.

Made me wish I would have seen it earlier.

If you get a 510, make a plan. It will give you an idea of what the costs involved are and it will give you peace of mind.

It hardly EVER costs what you plan for. Usually allot more. Hahaha 

But these little cars are awesome and so easy to work on. Good luck man!

Lookin real nice Johnny! Things are comming together nicely. We really got to get together soon and hang ... Exchange some war stories on the builds... haha

I might have some extras for you to wire up your secondary pump got a bunch of supplies left over from my dato .. let me know if I can help ya out.

Keep it up and the posts commin... Your much better about sharing your build than I have been... I got to get on it :)

• Like 1
Lookin real nice Johnny! Things are comming together nicely. We really got to get together soon and hang ... Exchange some war stories on the builds... haha

I might have some extras for you to wire up your secondary pump got a bunch of supplies left over from my dato .. let me know if I can help ya out.

Keep it up and the posts commin... Your much better about sharing your build than I have been... I got to get on it :)

Ben! What's up Brotha? How is the build coming along? The last update was in November and you were starting to put it all back together. 

You even got the rims on! Get back to posting up! We ALL want to see you ride man!  B)

Thanks for the props. I put it on the back burner for the Holidays but will start it back up in a few paychecks. I have to work on my Daily. 

Got a broken motor mount and maybe a bad CV Axle. Gotta take care of the Daily that get me to my Paycheck and Panocha! Hahaha

So you have extra wiring? What about Relays? 

I have talked to Luke and may have him do my Cold Pipe and SS Exhaust; turbo back. Just waiting to see where I will get the cash  :blush:

Yup been working a lot since november so the 510 has been under a cover in the garage without much love.. But im back on it and its comming along real nice.. I started a post for it but got to get better at snappin pics along the way :)

I got some wiring, a few relays and i think a spool of the mil-spec wiring loom we use. ill dig out the box this afternoon and check.

You still thinking of doing the oval pipe?

Yes, Going to do the Oval. Get as much clearance as possible under the car. 
Can't do much about the Oil Pan. That's why I really want to go with the Maddat Sway bar.
You have one right? It kind of protects the Oil Pan or at least will take the brunt of the hit if you do hit something. 

I thought about that but it's an expensive option and I am just not going to run that much HP to make a difference. 

I know they are more reliable but maybe one day. 
With a Maddat Sway, you can also fab up a skid plate that connects to it and up under the cross member.

Seen it before but can't find the pics...

Interesting on the skid plate... are there not mounts for a splashguard type thing on the 70+? I have one in my '69 that Im going to remove and use as a template to make a skid plate. I assumed all 510s had one. I just tried to find an image, but couldnt.