"Datsunami" 510 SR23DET S14 Build.... SR-TITTY-THREE!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats not the piece Im talking about... I have a sheet metal piece thats under the radiator and extends back some. Its shaped like a U with both legs reaching along the sides of the block (though they are short legs). With its connection points under the radiator I figured you could use those and make a skid plate that attached at the rear of the crossmember. Ill snap a picture of mine when the light is better here. 

Ok, making sure I wasn't going crazy because it looks nothing like #94. Anyway, Figured I could take that out and trace the bolt holes on some sheet, bend it to my needs, and then remount it. 

No, not going crazy. Most people ditch that thing when they work on their motors.

To copy it would work if you haven't done a motor swap. Of course with some thicker gauge metal. 

Haha, Thanks man. I love when people get excited over it cause it gets me excited over it.

Thanks for reading through the whole thread. I've done that many times too. I'd find a thread full of win and just couldn't stop turning pages.

Made me wish I would have seen it earlier.

If you get a 510, make a plan. It will give you an idea of what the costs involved are and it will give you peace of mind.

It hardly EVER costs what you plan for. Usually allot more. Hahaha 

But these little cars are awesome and so easy to work on. Good luck man!

I actually have been putting together a list together for about the past month or so now. I have just about everything listed from sheet metal work (love me a dime with a little flare), possible floor pan, fender, and trunk repair, down to the engine (KA24DE-T) with fingers crossed for 250HP (daily driver, otherwise I would have went all out). Reading these threads gives a lot of inspiration though and ideas of what I may end up dealing with. 

Once the 720 is done, I'll start the hunt for a dime and tow me home a 510 with the 720 =D

No, not going crazy. Most people ditch that thing when they work on their motors.

To copy it would work if you haven't done a motor swap. Of course with some thicker gauge metal. 

Im only copying the bolt pattern, not the shape of the splash guard. And of course it would be with thicker gauge metal... it would be a worthless skid plate if it was made out of the super flimsy stock sized piece. 

• Like 1
Yes, Going to do the Oval. Get as much clearance as possible under the car. 

Can't do much about the Oil Pan. That's why I really want to go with the Maddat Sway bar.

You have one right? It kind of protects the Oil Pan or at least will take the brunt of the hit if you do hit something. 

Nice.. Luke will do it up propper for you.. You ever seen that gangster oval exhaust he fabbed up on that old school camaro? Shit was crazy nice.. I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

Yeah I got a maddat sway bar up front.. It does protect the pan a bit ... Mini crash bar hahaha

So, started back up on a few things. 

With help from my Buddy Akumzedex, we got the Dual Fuel Pumps wired up with relays and Fuses. 

Also built up some Earls SS Braided Fuel Hose with AN fittings. 

2013-01-27185404.jpg

2013-01-27185416.jpg

Still need to do the main feed and return for the surge tank but that will be easy. 

No crawling around in the back seat with a roll bar in the way or climbing in the trunk!

2013-01-27171919.jpg

2013-01-27184159.jpg
Why did you decide to go with a dual fuel pump?

#becauseballerstatus

No, really, I've had my fuel supply suddenly disappear for a split second due to heavy launching and sloshing of the gas in my tank. 

My motor choked and fell on it's face at high RPM. No bueno. 

So I decided to do a Surge Tank which combats that problem. It is ALWAYS full and small enough not to have serious sloshing. 

I believe that one fp may do it but I will be at a goal of 350-400hp so the more fuel availability the better. 

But I also did not want to rely on just one Fuel Pump. They are on different relays/fuses so if one goes out, the other will stay on. 

I have heard that if one goes out, your car may go lean but that is not entirely accurate in a devastating sense. 

One will still be able to push enough volume for normal driving till it can be fixed. 

Any opinions on this? 

• Like 1
#becauseballerstatus

No, really, I've had my fuel supply suddenly disappear for a split second due to heavy launching and sloshing of the gas in my tank. 

My motor choked and fell on it's face at high RPM. No bueno. 

So I decided to do a Surge Tank which combats that problem. It is ALWAYS full and small enough not to have serious sloshing. 

I believe that one fp may do it but I will be at a goal of 350-400hp so the more fuel availability the better. 

But I also did not want to rely on just one Fuel Pump. They are on different relays/fuses so if one goes out, the other will stay on. 

I have heard that if one goes out, your car may go lean but that is not entirely accurate in a devastating sense. 

One will still be able to push enough volume for normal driving till it can be fixed. 

Any opinions on this? 

From my understanding of fuel systems, you're pretty well bang on. The only other thing I might suggest, after having looked at the fuel system in a friends F20C Corolla the other day - is that you're going to need a pre-filter to save your pumps. I was previously unaware of this, but there's a high particulate pre-filter that runs in line before your pumps, and then a lower particulate filter that would be in line to your rail.

If you've already got them, then disregard this - but I was unaware and had built the fueling for my Z without a prefilter, which likely would have been detrimental to my pump.

Had to spend some unexpected cash on my RSX this week. 

Turns out I have been driving on a broken motor mount (Maybe two) for quite some time now.

Gotta keep my Daily in good driving condition so had to pop for these. 

Got the 60A Steel mounts. I don't need anything wild due to it being a Daily and not tracked.  

Plus they were only a few bucks more than the OEM mounts so you know I can't just get plain OEM stuff when it's just a few bucks more.

#causeImaddictedtomodifying

2013-01-29100344.jpg

2013-01-29100259.jpg

2013-01-29100245.jpg
From my understanding of fuel systems, you're pretty well bang on. The only other thing I might suggest, after having looked at the fuel system in a friends F20C Corolla the other day - is that you're going to need a pre-filter to save your pumps. I was previously unaware of this, but there's a high particulate pre-filter that runs in line before your pumps, and then a lower particulate filter that would be in line to your rail.

If you've already got them, then disregard this - but I was unaware and had built the fueling for my Z without a prefilter, which likely would have been detrimental to my pump.

There is a filter sock on the in-tank pump. And most of the other legit setups have a high particulate filter (I have a 100 micron filter) after the second pump. 

Don't want too many filter before the pump cause it makes them work harder. Especially high filtration filters....

Which reminds me, I also have a low particulate reusable filter before the fuel rail in the engine bay... Maybe I should remove that one...

More thoughts?

Damn... setup looks pretty good buddy. This is pretty much exactly what I was starting on LOL... great minds think alike eh?

Thanks Ben. Still gotta run the feed and return from the tank but the rear fuel stuff is almost done. 

Yes, great minds do! Except yours will probably be WAY more wild! LOL