I scored a 510 wagon !!!

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta bring yours, John. Christmas in September. Seriously, I want to see it again!

I was just whining a little. i just don't have any free time to work on mine. So I get butt hurt when I see someone busting out really cool ideas.

My Z needs too much work to show at this point. :(

TY Steve i like the bamboo too :D

Spent all day detailing & i dropped the front an extra 3/4 inch. All ready for JCCS this Sunday...

19rpmg.jpg

Holy Crap! your Goon looks awesome! i wish i could make it to JCCS, but funds, and the fact that my syncros are going out in my Goon.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after dealing with intermittent heating issues i decided to finally swap radiators today. I picked up a barely used aftermarket Rabbitt/Scirocco radiator from a friend awhile back. Obviously ill have to make new mounting brackets & modify the upper hose but my main issue is the trans. fluid cooling lines. I plan to connect the lines to an external cooler [prob. a VW unit] & mount it in a spot where it'll get good air flow. Ill also flush the engine before installing the new rad.

the fittings unscrew from the tank.......

24bm33q.jpg

& the new unit.......

1tkk2h.jpg

hey pac your gonna wanna run an inline filler on the upper hose the vw cap is a 20 psi cap not 13

Interesting..i was under the impression that i was good to go with the VW cap. Do you have a pic of a setup like you described? I do have a few old radiators that i can salvage the filler neck & graft it into the upper hose. I did pick up a section of pipe that will join the 2 ends of the upper hose.

here is a pic of mine i went to the junkyard and found a first gen toyota mr2 the radiator filler is in the engine compartment its held in with 2 10mm bolts that are on the underside that you cant see in this picture

DSC04416.jpg

my cooling system has 3 caps the vw one the mr2 one and the overflow bottle cap

DSC04436.jpg

the vw cap works but like i said its a 20psi cap and creates some issues it also makes it hard to get all the air out because the thermostat housing is higher in the system then the radiator cap

• Like 1

Bonvo TY SOOO much for the pix & info. Ill be looking for MR-2's this Sunday @ the yard.

I got mine buttoned up enough today so i can move the car back & forth in the driveway. Scored a FREE section of exhaust tubing & cut the upper hose in half. Flex hose works perfect for the lower hose. I will later remove the stock fan & hook up the electric fan...

2v9ujnn.jpg

Bonvo TY SOOO much for the pix & info. Ill be looking for MR-2's this Sunday @ the yard.

I got mine buttoned up enough today so i can move the car back & forth in the driveway. Scored a FREE section of exhaust tubing & cut the upper hose in half. Flex hose works perfect for the lower hose. I will later remove the stock fan & hook up the electric fan...

2v9ujnn.jpg

not a problem man glad i could help

i found that the lower stock molded hose works well to if you can find a new one

you could just cut a cap opening out of a shit radiator and solder it to that exhaust pipe

"i found that the lower stock molded hose works well to if you can find a new one

you could just cut a cap opening out of a shit radiator and solder it to that exhaust pipe "

I almost used the stock lower hose then found the flex hose in the garage :D

& I'll just go with the MR-2 filler. Gives me a reason to hit the yard & it's less work.

TY Bonvo ! I scored the MR-2 filler neck @ the yard for $5 & a stock Jetta upper hose with the right bends for $2 :D

Now ill buy some clear tubing for the overflow. Bonvo i have another ?. Are you running a relay in conjunction with your electric fan & if so what size / amperage..TY :cool:

Looking good Mark, and very Ratsun of you to help out Bonvo!

looks really good man i like the locking cap they didnt have any in stock when i got mine :(

im glad i could be of help im always down to help a fellow datto owner out and i really didnt want to see an update to this later that he overheated :)

oh pcd you could take a pair of tin snips and remove that clip that is hanggin off the toyota filler so its not in the way i did it on mine and it looks a little cleaner i plan to one day bust out the dremel and make it completely smooth

Thanks Guys. Hopefully this will cure the getting hot issue once & for all.

I plan on cutting that tab off when i install the elec. fan. I wanted to get it all mocked up 1st.

This is the diagram Ill be going off of.......

radWiring.png

The VW fan relay is $15 so ill try & find a cheaper one that will work. Oh & ill swap the thermo. switch to a 180 degree unit.

yeah i thought about doing that but i already had the fan controller hooked up so i went with what i had are you still running the l16? this should cure any over heating issues mine stays cool with an l20b and air conditioning