I scored a 510 wagon !!!

Ok tore down the PS hub to survey the carnage. This is what i found..........

1264466458.jpg

The outer bearing was destroyed & the remaining part of it is fused to the spindle..

The inner bearing is intact but has play = fail...

the inner brake shoe is GONE..as in it's not there / fell out...

the inside of the rotor has a groove caused by the caliper rubbing on it when the brake shoe went bye-bye.

the bolt & washer that hold it all together are now mushroomed & as i backed off the bolt it stripped the threads on the spindle...super !

What does all this mean? Means Ill be swapping over to ZX struts. Have to get all the parts that attach to the bare ZX struts i picked up from Yellowdatsun. Good times for sure........ :rolleyes:

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dimebox-TY..green rules!

With some help fromBleach i found out that the struts i picked up are indeed off a 280ZX. Bolts up to the lower arm perfect. Mocked it up to see if the perch fits up into the tower well. It fits but barely by 1/8 on each side...

1264546297.jpg

1264549668.jpg

I may replace the lower ball joints too. Is that gap normal or is there supposed to be a boot there ?

Dimebox-TY..green rules!

With some help fromBleach i found out that the struts i picked up are indeed off a 280ZX. Bolts up to the lower arm perfect. Mocked it up to see if the perch fits up into the tower well. It fits but barely by 1/8 on each side...

1264546297.jpg

1264549668.jpg

I may replace the lower ball joints too. Is that gap normal or is there supposed to be a boot there ?

I would change the ball joints as well tie rods or any worn out suspension parts. does not cost a lot but car will be safer and stable. from what I heard is if you use zx struts and brakes you may have to use bump steer spacers as the caliper may hit the tie rod making it not fit or you can swap the driver's strut assembly to the passenger side and passenger to Driver's side so the calipers face the front of the car and clear the tie rods. anyone want to chime in on this if I am correct. on my wagon I am using zx struts but I have bump steer spacers and for me it clears

• 1 month later...

Ok after a long gap i jumped back onto the wagon today. Verified that stock 510 wheel studs DO fit into a ZX hub & verified that stock 510 front brake hoses DO thread into ZX calipers. Kind of goin the cheapo route because the car will be stored for who knows long in a few weeks & i just need it to roll. Next step is new inserts [Kragen has them] & then order bump steer spacers.

"cheapo"...you mean Ratsun right? :P

I hope you aren't going to put her in long term storage. Let me know how much it might cost in shipping out that rear stiffner? Now that my goon is lowered (finally) I'm willing to slap things on it. :)

I finally was able to get the wagon fired up today. She sat for so long it took a few tries to get her running. Bump steer spacers will be ordered by fiday, spring compressor will be rented & reinstallation will begin. Im hoping i can squeeze my 13 x 7 Libres over the ZX calipers :sweat:

If i decide to sell ill have a ratsun auction :sneaky:

you have to shave a lil off the caliper for them to fit..however with bump steer installed the rim may rub the greas fitting on the lower BJ or the lower BJ itself... i had to take my bump steers off to roll my car... i ended up getting new wheels and putting my bumpsteer spacers back on

so if you wana run the 13x7 you need to shave the caliper and not run bump steers and youll be fine

and idk what people are talking about with the tie rod hitting the caliper with out the spacers.. i ran my 280zx struts with no bump spacers with no problems for a while.... would like to see pics of this issues..

why order them this guys down the road from you

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/1660034538.html

JDM...Yeah i heard of a few guys who were shaving thier calipers down to fit a 13 inch rim. Im ok with that as long as it's safe.

& good lookin out on the spacers, going tomorrow to make sure they fit the ZX struts & if so ill buy em.

Mario...ill set a reserve on my auction...haha!

wow, that old spindle was all fucked up. my luv did that once. the race of the outer bearing ended up welding itself to the spindle. had to get a whole new spindle. it was pretty nasty when it happend too. the hub stared smoking, the steering started to pull to the one side, the dust cap blew off, and then grind grind grind to a stop. not fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok got the ZX struts installed today. TY Jose for letting me borrow the compressors !!!

24n1gec.jpg

& heres the rims id like to run..my 13 x 6 libres but.........look at the finger, we have just a bit of rubbing going on & the rim isnt flush against the hub. Oh well was worth a shot...

2zhfv9i.jpg

& heres what ill probably run. 14 x 6 Revolution's. Clears the calipers fine...

j5l3wh.jpg

Next is to bleed the front brakes, get tires & shes back on the road !

JDM- ill for sure polish the lips & also repaint the black..possibly a different color.

Joe- The struts are stock ZX's. So the perch is where they welded it in Japan :cool: The PO of the struts welded in sections of tubing that hold the 510 spring in place.

JDM- ill for sure polish the lips & also repaint the black..possibly a different color.

Joe- The struts are stock ZX's. So the perch is where they welded it in Japan :cool: The PO of the struts welded in sections of tubing that hold the 510 spring in place.

ah, yeah I read about that. so long as it works :o

Ok with help from SD surf [Mike] we bled the front brakes...they work ok enough to stop, got the rims on & test drove it. Rides good, seems a but stiffer but doesnt bother me. Height wise to me it looks the same although ive heard the ZX struts lower it an inch. Soon she'll be off to storage for the summer... :(

nn4400.jpg

bzm0o.jpg