I scored a 510 wagon !!!

i remeber when i put my KA in my second 510, i got it running and on the way home from putting the motor in at a buddys house, i smacked a rock on my oil pan an put a huge hole in it (car way to low). i didnt wana pul the motor again so i droped the steering, crossmemeber and all that. it was not bad at all... i was soo glad i didnt have to pull the motor again!!!

Edited by JDM510
  • Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok i finally got the new pan gasket installed after a 12 hour day & just a few choice words!!! If i had to do again id rather pull the motor. I had to remove both motor mounts @ the frame, disconnect the steering linkage on the pass. side & swing over, then jack up the motor under the crank pulley.At that time the pan barely clears the crossmember & came out after a few gentle taps with a mini sledge. I could've removed the crossmember but that means the lowerarms need to be removed too...ummm no in good ;)

Mark do you mean it took you 12 hours or it was after working a 12 hour day, then you did it? I'm telling you...you should have done it with my metal coat hanger and string method...I think at most it took me 2-3 hours to do from start to finish. Glad you got it done though...now post some pics will ya?

Thanks Mike,,,ya big fun ;) Mario,,it was almost 12 hours under the car on my day off. I HAD to remove the pan so i could scrape / razor blade what was left of the old [original] gasket off. Tuesday ill degrease the block & underside the best i can & get her back on the ground then pics...:D

Hey your wagon is coming along nicely.

I wish I had the time to do all this to my car.

I need to take a couple of weeks off to do a lot of stuff to it.

Can't wait till you're done. Keep posting updates.

Thanks for the love. My next mod will be to modify the U bolt plates & drop the rear 1 more inch & still have shock travel.

Ain't that a pain in the ass? I think the pan bolts got to 8ft/lbs.

Indeed it was & will still be. Dscovered the gasket is leaking @ 1 spot still. Tried sealing that spot with gasket maker but no luck. Guess i overtightened the bolts a tad. Oh & ill be using a rubber gasket this time. Will use a hoist, remove exhaust pipe & get the motor up a few extra inches.

Ok got the leak under control for now. Used some gasket sealer & the discovered that the oil pressure sender was dripping too. So a little JB weld fast dry put a stop to that :D Then decided to put my old school sway bar on. It makes a diffference in the way the car handles in turns & it's chrome...:cool:

1259352125.jpg

Looks great Mark...where can I score one of those? Oh and what is up with the non-datto license plate frame on your goon????

Don't you have a few Datsun ones?

Actually awhile back i was gonna make a few then i got lazy. But...if theres a few people interested i can make a couple. & yeah the rear frame is an old shop here that sold tons of 510 parts back in the day. I scored the frame from Stilltwisted:D

Foomanchu- It mounts to the leaf springs. Has a bracket that goes on top of the leafs then it bolts to the chrome part.

Jose- sorry it only bolts to the leafs but...if you want a strut tower bar i bet we can fab one.

John- I bought the bar @ Ecology many moons ago, it was on a chevy Luv. I really want to make a few with different center sections [where the holes are]. Do you have any hook up's with a water jet company? How bout a rising sun center part ?? :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Better pics of the bar? I'm having a hard time visualizing how it works...

Thanks

Joel

See in parts for sale "sway bars for sale" to see better mounting pics.

Got back to the 13x5 Libres today. Went with a metallic grey for a "normal" look :lol:

1261009583.jpg

10%20wagon/1261009588.jpg[/img]

I should have the other 2 rims dome next week & ready for tires.

Better pics of the bar? I'm having a hard time visualizing how it works...

Thanks

Joel

See in parts for sale "sway bars for sale" to see better mounting pics.

Got back to the 13x5 Libres today. I painted the textured areas. Went with a metallic grey for a "normal" look :lol:

1261009583.jpg

1261009588.jpg

I should have the other 2 rims done next week & ready for tires.

Foomanchu- It mounts to the leaf springs. Has a bracket that goes on top of the leafs then it bolts to the chrome part.

Jose- sorry it only bolts to the leafs but...if you want a strut tower bar i bet we can fab one.

John- I bought the bar @ Ecology many moons ago, it was on a chevy Luv. I really want to make a few with different center sections [where the holes are]. Do you have any hook up's with a water jet company? How bout a rising sun center part ?? :thumbup:

Mark,

I do have a water jet guy. Right down the street from me. Just let me know when your ready and I'll give you his #

Mark,

I do have a water jet guy. Right down the street from me. Just let me know when your ready and I'll give you his #

Thanks John i will. Hopefully theres some interest in them & will justify getting some designs cut out.

Got busy one of the plate frames...wire brushed then painted. Almost looks new :cool:

1261260607.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...