hidden datsuns

yankeedatsundoo

Last night while taking my daughter trick or treating for holloween we wlaked around the block . On one of the houses around the block theres three boxer dogs that i always pass when i walk my boxer so yesterday he had his garage open. what did I see under a pile of old news paper and boxes was the front end of a 1973 620 didnt stop and ask about it but today i will. :fu:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try, but you know how old people get , Im going to try to finish putting my 620 back together so i could take it with me so I wont scare him off and my boxer pup.

That`s a good idea . And talk Datsuns for as long as he wants to ( saying how you might be able to help him get it running ) then when you leave contact info he wont just toss it.

hey guys i went last night to talk to the 620 owner. His daughter came out and said he was sleeping and not feeling to good so sorry to get everyone excited but it does'nt mean i wont stop trying who knows maybe i can make and offer on it. Maybe i could be the one that will bring out of its newspaper garage grave. KEEP LOOKING OUT FOR MY NEXT POST! :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for keeping you guys waiting but the owner is a grouch, but there is still hope his daughter told me that shes trying to tell him to sell it. The house insurance is high because of having the truck just sitting there with newspapers on top of it. FIRE CODE. I left her my number so i can go take pics while he is gone. :cool:

• 1 month later...

I had a chance to talk to the owner again but this time I took my truck we were talking about his good old days with his 73 620. The truck runs really good has a weber carb, 5 speed tranny and L20 he got in and started right up. I tried to see if he would sell it he said no he got it back from his son's back yard nine years ago repainted it original orange and rebuilt engine. He showed me pics when he had it on his drive way with the dealer plates and the sticker price on it. I made a new original 1973 datsun 620 owner. he said no pics. :no:

Many many times. My job allow me access to people's property legally, if I'm doing my job. Sometime the owners are there and I try to find a few minutes to chat them up. Got a whole 620 just for towing away. A buddy tows them to his yard so I just stripped everything I wanted first and then called him.

Nothing wrong looking into yards as long as you stay outside the fence.

Well on one side he doesn't want someone fucking with his Datsun. On the other it's a public parking lot... you can't stop people looking. Third it may look like you're getting ready to steal or break in. Owners can't be too careful.

Try smiling a lot when approaching the owner. Give your full name " Hi, I'm XXXX XXXXXXX and I see you have a running (_______) It's so nice to see one still on the road today.... and in such good shape." Wait and see his reaction and go from there. If I came out of W Mart and seen some kid leaning on my 710 looking in the window, my first reaction would be to shoot him. :)

:lol:

Yeah when looking in a parking lot, I cross my arms over my chest and grin a lot. Just in case the guy's just walking up to me. It's all in the body language. But seriously, never had any problems. Most are proud of their cars and guess what? They love to talk about them.

I used to read meters in the summer.Ohhh,thew stuff i found.Came home with a fully option 67 GTO for $600.00.Then when i had the CATV business,i was hanging from poles everywhere.I found a Bug-eyed Sprite,a 68 Camaro and TWO 67 Chargers in a 4x8 block area.Now i see things from the tracks (and 12 feet up)that street "goers" don't see.I've spotted a 69 Judge,a 70 Roadrunner & a 70 Formula Firechicken.

Today i saw this

620-1.jpg

It's a COMPLETE 620KC at the SCRAP YARD.They pay $205.00 a ton.So that's in the neighborhood of $350.00 to scrap a Datsun instead of finding a home for it.This my friends,is the beginning of the end. :angry:

We've all seen cars on this site not sell for prices that are barely over the cost of scrap. For the owner of a car it's just easier to sell their old car with problems to a scrapper who will haul away the car and doesn't care if anything works, instead of an enthusiast who has all of the questions and concerns of someone who needs to get the car running again.

I'm a little surprised that more people don't get the cars that are selling for a little bit of money, take the parts that they need, and then scrap the rest. It may be hard to sell a 500 dollar Datsun, but it's not so tough to get 150 worth of parts off of a Datsun.

Yes, I heard the same thing this weekend. Scrap price has gone up from $300/car to $350/car.

There is no such thing as a $50 car any longer.

I do kinda see why someone would be upset if you were walking around someone's Datsun in a parking lot. I have a list of vehicles I drive daily, 73, 74, 77 620, 63 Mercury wagon, and 66 volvo 122s: I get stopped all the time at gas stations, stores, basically anywhere by people wanting to talk to buy my stuff. I try to be nice but its kinda hard when you are running late for work or something. I've also walked out of a supermarket seeing two people hands against the glass peering into my Mercury Wagon. I was about to walk over angered but after I saw he had a young kid with him, I let it go...

Now i see things from the tracks (and 12 feet up)that street "goers" don't see.

You should carry a GPS with you. When you spot something, you can save it's location. I have several on the GPS in my phone. And even some on my GPS for hunting.

I bought a sight un seen 79 kc for $400 with no intensions on making it a runner. Just a parts truck to do a super mod on my choped 74. I parted it out a little and now it has sat in my front driveway for two years and alot of poeple have stopped by asking if its for sale. A week ago I moved it behind my shop so I can finally start cutting it up to make the parts to splice into my 74. Plus no one can see from the street it anymore.

In reguards to aproaching Datsun owners I always explain my intensions wether if it can be sold or if I'm just admiring it and I try to talk Datsun's to break the ice.

WOO! It worked lol. I stopped by where i had seen this 521 sitting for the past couple months. Turns out dude is really cool and has a couple of daily driving 620's and tons of parts. He said if i needed any parts to just call him and he gave me his card. It was a good day for raw face to face social interaction!