Favourite Handi-tool to carry in your ratsun.

Well I was just wondering what everyone keeps in there datto's just in case something happens so they can still make it home.

DSC05065.jpg

I keep a screw driver with two different sized nut drivers on either end [one for the big size radiator hose fittings and one for the small plus some misc. bolts] and of course flat-head and phillips ends small and big. [this tool has saved me quite a few times]

also I keep a wrench that has a 10 and a 12 sized ends. [one time my driveline came loose and this little bugger got me home]

and the last thing is a razor knife. because sometimes you just have to cut it off and go.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My entire tool bag as well as 2 other smaller bags with various pliers,wrenches,knifes,wiring tools,cordless drill.About 50 lbs worth of stuff.I use most of the same tools at work as I do at home each day so it sucks but I lug them around everywhere.No more f'ing around on the side of the road with nothing but a leathermans.

i carry a basic tool kit in the car i think its a 200 peice not sure but it has everything i could possibly need to fix my baby on the side of the road i could take my entire car apart with the contents of that box :D oh and there actually decent tools cresant i have found are nice tools i havent had an issue with them yet :D

yea I had a toolchest in my car but then I found myself just using those tools instead of the ones in my garage.. I found that for the most part I can get anything back to minimum operational with these tools compared to the tools I used to carry. Sure it was easier with the selection of the tools I used to have but I wasn't really going to fix it till I got home anyways. When I go on longer trips I pack a bit more inside to actually fix it to last a week or so.

the only tools you should need to work on a datto are as follows

10mm wrench

2 12mm wrench

14mm wrench

17mm wrench

sockets in the above sizes

phillips and flat head screwdrivers

depending on how much modifcation you have done you might need more btu these are the only tools i have ever needed to work on my datsun oh and ratcheting boxed ends are a godsend :D

lol very true im thinking about gettin a bottle jake though much safer then the sissor on they give you and hell if push came to shove its a datto its light enough have you buddy in the back seat pick the thing up :lol:

well as it sits right now i dont have any tools in the datto. as soon as i find a decent tool box to bolt into the bed i will ahve a nice selection of tools to fix the beast WHEN it breaks. also some spare parts for common things that go out, whatever that may be.

It would be cool to carry some of those temporary rubber freeze plugs too! Though off hand I don't know the right size. But like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-RUBBER-EXPANSION-PLUG-LOT-FREEZE-4-219-4010_W0QQitemZ7977309338QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item7977309338&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ebayphotohosting

the only tools you should need to work on a datto are as follows

10mm wrench

2 12mm wrench

14mm wrench

17mm wrench

sockets in the above sizes

phillips and flat head screwdrivers

you also need an 8mm, 13/16"(sparkplug), dikes/wire stripper/crimper, pliers, cresent wrench(cuz the PO put a 1/2" something on and you dont have a 13mm), electrical tape, fuses and a BFH

i also have a small DMM and random assortment of nuts, bolts, screws, washers, and crimp connectors.

ive used it all at one time or another :mellow:

i have a small box that is for the 510. fits perfectly in front of the passenger seat.

I used to carry my junkyard box all the time. After several months of not needing it, I stopped lugging it around. There have been times when I've kept a spark plug socket/driver/extension and a wire brush...fix that random fouling plug :D but I don't think I even have that in the car now.

What's most important:

motorola%20razrv3.jpg

hellokittyfireextinguishers.jpg

All my tools fit in a little tool box that I've always got in my cars... right now I'm not driving the Datsun, so it's in my daily. I've got a screwdriver bit kit, a bunch of assorted sockets, voltmeter, electrical tape, utility knife, and a few other misc bits. I really need to get a decent set of normal wrenches though... sockets aren't always the greatest.

be for i had a el distributor i used to carry an extra distributor in my car with fresh points in case the ones in the car failed. (it was easyer to swap dizzy's than try to putt in points on the side of the road)

i managed to get new points -BOTH- while on a road trip through mexico in the late 80's :w00t:

• 3 weeks later...
My entire tool bag as well as 2 other smaller bags with various pliers,wrenches,knifes,wiring tools,cordless drill.About 50 lbs worth of stuff.I use most of the same tools at work as I do at home each day so it sucks but I lug them around everywhere.No more f'ing around on the side of the road with nothing but a leathermans.

How do you fit that on a 521? :eek:

Wallet, cell phone and my AAA road side assistance membership card.

Don't leave home without it.

And it has to be within 100 miles of my house.

Otherwise, it's a different story.

AAA also change their policy on towing non registered vehicle.

Good when you get a new project that needs to be towed home.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Elec tape,Cell,Usual screw drivers ,wrenches,On long road trips(usually shasta) have taken tourqe wrench,

And a baseball bat if you get stuck in a non desirable area:eek:;)