'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

I've done this enough times, and I'm getting to a certain age, that I now realize that a 1800-1900 pound car with 225-250hp is not my kind of fun any more. I'm content with 120-140hp. The car will still be "fast", but be a lot more fun to drive.

I'm getting old I guess... :lol:

These statements really hit home with me. After 28 years of fooling around with these cars, I feel the same way. I decided to use my 1608 A-series with twin Dellortos instead of a modern engine swap in my B310. I'm comfortable with carb work and I like the old school just fine.

I am looking forward to see the engine choice and install.

Mike

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking forward to see the engine choice and install.

Choice is made. Install will take awhile longer. :P

Actually, the choice was kind of made for me. I had a 510 with a really well sorted L16 in it, sold that car to a friend, who totaled the car. So I'm taking that engine out and putting it in this car.

Should look something like this...

1972_Datsun_510_2.5_Trans_Am_Sedan_Race_Car_Engine_1_1.jpg

Ah OK, I thought you had put the complete 510 rear aseembly in the 1200, but taken it out and now was putting it in without the upper part.

No sir, swapped in the entire 510 rear suspension with a few minor mods to the suspension, no mods to the car aside from drilling a few holes. Trying to leave myself the option of switching back to a live axle just in case.

Had to test fit and modify it all one piece at a time, then take it apart, paint everything, and I'm now in the process of putting it all back in. ;)

I have weighed everything that has gone into the car, and what came out, and so far the car gained 12 pounds during the swap. I'd bet going from a 145mm diff to a 160mm diff is enough to make that gain alone.

But I'm sure it'll gain another 10-15 when I add the disc brakes to it. :P

Finished up the upper spring mounts, fabbed and installed the bumpstops, so I decided to put it all together and roll it outside for a much needed bath. :P

Kinda weird to see it back on the ground and rolling after so many months with it's ass in the air... :lol:

crap_008s.jpg

crap_014s.jpg

crap_012s.jpg

Really glad the IRS swap is finally done. It's been whipping my ass. :P

• Like 1

CDM flares showed up today...

crap_004.JPG

Kinda glad they gel-coated them black. Was waffling between a dark color (black or gunmetal) or body color (white). At least this way once they're on the car I can get an idea what dark flares will look like without actually painting them. :P

I like body color:

epicjtinmeet3.jpg

But looking at the Skyline pics makes me think darker is better...

11_19_09-0381.JPG

Test fit the flares today. Fit is quite good, quality is decent (not great) but as they warn you "it's race car parts not show car parts". :P

Flares fitted up...

crap_002.JPG

15x7 +0 with a 1" spacer is just flush...

crap_016.JPG

That tells me the 15x8 -5 I was looking at will fit just fine. In fact, up to a -25 should fit with this same tire. So if I end up with the 15x8 -5, I may also use a 1/4" spacer to get the look I want. :cool:

These are what I'm looking at maybe getting...

rota-aleica-alloy-wheels-pink-with-polished-lip--37756-p.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...