'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'd rather have an S15 dual ball bearing T28 turbo, but we'll see. If I can find one of those before the engine goes in, I'll put it on.

Otherwise, I'll wait until I get bigger injectors, better MAF, and some tuning so I can use a GT28RS. :D

And personally, I think the stock turbo is perfect for now. 200-220hp will be plenty for a car under 1700 pounds. ;)

• 1 month later...
what all did you do to get that car that low.

Right now it has custom leaf springs in the rear (stiffer and MUCH lower), with Datsun Comp traction bars, Koni red shocks and a Datsun Comp sway bar on a B210 rear end.

Front is cut down 210 struts, Ground Control coil-overs, Ground Control camber/caster plates, heim-jointed T/C rods, Eibach 2.5" springs, Koni yellow inserts.

It is about to all be changed though. All this stuff was great with a 120hp A14. The 250hp CA18DET needs more serious hardware. ;)

Planing to run 280ZX struts and 300ZX brakes in front (11" rotors), stiffer front springs, everything else the same. Rear will get an '82 200SX axle (and disc brakes with 11" rotors) but everything else is the same.

where did you get your leaf springs at? i had gotten a lot of info about the frontend off of datsun1200.com but they didnt really say much about the rear except for all the datsun comp stuff. does the 200sx rear have to be narrowed because ive got one just laying around with 5.43 gears in it i believe and i was wondering if it would swap in.

where did you get your leaf springs at?

Ray's Champion Spring in Fort Worth, TX.

i had gotten a lot of info about the frontend off of datsun1200.com but they didnt really say much about the rear except for all the datsun comp stuff. does the 200sx rear have to be narrowed because ive got one just laying around with 5.43 gears in it i believe and i was wondering if it would swap in.

It is considerably wider than stock (3-3.5" as I recall). What I did was shave off all the 200SX mounting brackets, weld on leaf spring mounting pads, add bolt-on flares, and switch to wheels in the +25-40mm offset range.

It is easier to shorten it, but more expensive than flares and I needed front flares anyway, so...

FYI, if beefyness means more to you than easy disc brakes, a 510 wagon rear end is a slightly better fit (only about 1.5" too wide) and stouter/bigger than the 200SX axle.

I didn't go 510 because at this ride height you have to be really careful about balancing strength and size in the diff. Too big and it's banging the floor on every bump in the road.

beefiness isnt that big of a deal to me because i dont plan on doin anything real crazy motor wise down the road and i also want to get it as low as i can go with it. i want to do some autocrossing with it so i would prefer discs on it with not too much work.

• 1 year later...

Well, I sort of did something to the 1200 this week... :lol:

Didn't like the flares I had (made for a 71-73 Corolla, never quite fit right), so I ordered a new set from BProjects in Japan (awesomest vendor of 1200 parts ever!!!). They came in yesterday.

IMG_0396.JPG

Looks like this on the car:

fuji7.jpg

fui.jpg

fuji6.jpg

Will try fitting them up next week. Initial test fit looks very promising. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Well, I sort of did something to the 1200 this week... :lol:

Didn't like the flares I had (made for a 71-73 Corolla, never quite fit right), so I ordered a new set from BProjects in Japan (awesomest vendor of 1200 parts ever!!!). They came in yesterday.

IMG_0396.JPG

Looks like this on the car:

fuji7.jpg

fui.jpg

fuji6.jpg

Will try fitting them up next week. Initial test fit looks very promising. :)

that shit looks sick...love the 1200 man..

• 8 months later...