• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Shifting gears a bit...

Decided against the CA18DET some time back. I'm also keeping all the front stuff in there and just upgrading the brakes. Going to try and swap G20 brakes onto the 210 struts, possibly with mklotz's help. Updates as they arrive...

These coil-overs just look so good and are so well done I couldn't take them out... :P

trippy_004.JPG

Swapping the front lower control arm bushings for spherical bearings next week. :cool:

As far as engines go, I have a few things I'm considering. I'm thinking either an L16/L18 with a big cam and dual Mikunis or a KA24E with Mikunis. Thoughts?

...so why not CA18?

I've done this enough times, and I'm getting to a certain age, that I now realize that a 1800-1900 pound car with 225-250hp is not my kind of fun any more. I'm content with 120-140hp. The car will still be "fast", but be a lot more fun to drive.

I really don't care about going fast in a straight line any more either. Enough power to accelerate as fast as a modern car, and to drift when I want to, will be fine for me. Basically whatever it takes to get a 7-8 second 0-60 time will be "enough".

I'm getting old I guess... :lol:

My thought was an L-series is even heavier... but I don't know, I'm probably wrong.

No, it is. A CA18DET is around 10-15 pounds lighter than an L16/L18. But if weight is your major concern, then sticking with an A-series is the "sensible" choice, no?

I like the CA, there's just no simple way to put carbs on it. If there was, I'd be leaning that way for sure. Carbs on the L-series (or the KA24E) will be very simple, obviously.

It just took me a sec to realize:

1) Sunny Excellent

2) You're pretty much making this car into a 510.

So it makes sense.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder how many 510 parts I can put in it before it just spontaneously becomes a 510. :P

Good thing I scrapped that idea to put a 510 dash in it... :unsure:

2.4 liters beats 1.8 liters every time. There is no replacement for displacment. KA24 has more HP and more torque than CA18. The only reason the CA18 swaps are so popular is because of countries where the government restricts the engine size you can swap in. Yes KA is heavier, but it also a lot more powerful. And KA with turbo is likewise more powerful than a CA with turbo when they are built similarly.

2.4 liters beats 1.8 liters every time. There is no replacement for displacment.

If your goal is all out speed, yes. If it's not, then no. :cool:

And if you read closer, the CA18 is not an option I'm pursuing any longer. The choice is between a carb'd KA24 and L16/L18. And the L is winning right now. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine just bought some wheels that were 15x8 zero offset, so I thought I would "borrow" them for a test fit. They have 195/50-15 tires on them.

I actually wanted to test fit them to make sure my flares would cover them. Turns out, I may not even need flares... :P

rap_084.JPG

rap_082.JPG

With the current amount of camber, it actually tucks the 8" wheels fairly easily... :blink:

rap_088.JPG

On the front, not so lucky. A 7" or 7.5" wheel may fit better. I'll have to set it down on the ground and dial in the camber a bit first to make sure.

rap_089.JPG

Overall view...

rap_090.JPG

Ideally I will either need different size tires for better clearance (195/45-15), or try to find wheels that are 15x7.5 all around, or just run 15x7 fronts and 15x8 rears. Still trying to decide which way is best... :cool:

those rims are perfect on there.

What are they called? i think i might get a set

The original version is called a Hayashi Street:

hayashi_street.jpg

These are new replicas made by Rota. ;)

The replicas only come in 15x7, 15x8, and 15x9. The originals were available in many widths and in 13", 14", and 15" diameters.

Due to peer pressure, I'm now thinking 14" wheels may be better than 15" wheels. :unsure:

But no one makes new (wide) 14" wheels any more, unless I want to spend big money on something from Japan... <_<

I can get these from Work in a 14x7.5 +1 which should be just about perfect, but they'll be about $1400 a set new... :blink:

work-equip-03-blackpolished-2.jpg

Or Work Equip 01's, same size, same price...

work-equip-01-blackpolished-2.jpg

hey love the build bro, got a 1200 sedan myself , i wanna see more pics of the 510 irs swap if you got.

run the 15's with the fender flares from brpojects

as far as engine, i have a CA18DET in mine and agree with you, i have been thinking long and hard about going NA ca18 (which is too difficult) twin webber SR20 (lots of work too) KA24DE and even A14/A15 with bike carbs recently... (my secret dream is to have a 12a bridgeport revving to 10k cool.gif)

do what makes you happy.. i am spending late nights looking up a14 parts myself as i can get a complete running engine for about 300 bux.

keep up the great work

hey love the build bro, got a 1200 sedan myself , i wanna see more pics of the 510 irs swap if you got.

All the pics I have should be in this thread, so... :lol:

If not, they are here:

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3491

run the 15's with the fender flares from brpojects

Oddly enough, if you mean the ones like Moises has on his green sedan, I think I'm the reason they sell those flares. :P

I asked the guys over there to try and find some flares like that as they only offered the big full race flares. I guess since I've spent so much money there over the years, they sourced them for me from Japan, now they sell them. So I have them, just can't seem to commit to putting them on. :huh:

If I do put the flares on, I'm thinking these in 15x8 front and 15x9 rear may suit it... :cool:

Untitled.jpg