Should I buy this 510 GOON?

Hi guys I been lurking the forum for some time now, and I'm ready to buy a 510 the main problem they is nothing good on the east coast. I really want a coupe, a sedan would come 2nd and a Goon is my 3rd choice. My total budget for the car and build is around $8K.

3p73o53l45Y25O35P6b9c690be95dec4517e3.jpg3n73mf3pf5V35Y15Q5b9c9c17d1c6ea12181b.jpg3me3p33o35T45Z55W6b9cc5749741a52b12fd.jpg3m73p33o05W05U35X3b9c0bd538a515d0129a.jpg

I found this 1972 510 Wagon 9 hours drive from VA. The guy wants $600 for it. This car is all original, nothing major missing, the body has dents but no major damage and it's a stick . The Dash is cracked, and the seat are torn the floor boards need to be replaced. Less than 150K mileage. Surface Rust.

I'm not to worried about it the problems because I wanted to Ratty car and something I don't feel bad hacking up for my swap to fit.drivingskid.gif

I asked the seller if the car has a clean title, no leans or BS, and he told me "There isn't a title on a vehicle that old. Just a bill of sale." The oldest car I ever owned was a 1979 Benz 300SD and it have a VA State title so this doesn't sound right to me. I asked for the VIN and he sent me WPL510-975588. Being that is a old style VIN I can't check it on Autocheck or even the useless Carfax. Should this car have a title? If I buy this car would it possible to get a title after I pick it up? Being that it has no to title I should be able to talk him down in price a little.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check with your dmv. In CA all cars must have titles, however if a car has not been registered in the last 10 years, it can be sold bill of sale only as it will need a new title anyways. You can have multiple bills of sale showing the ownership pattern if the title is lost, or the owner can request a new one. Getting a title isn't a big hassle if done right.

The price is actually fairly good but you won't be able to licence it without a title. How do you know it isn't stolen? Go to several DMV and ask abot what you need to do to get it in your name. I say several because just because someone works there doesn't make them an expert. Get a good of what's involved. Talk to someone who has done this.

Now contact this guy and tell him how much it will cost you and the trouble involved. Low ball him like Hainz said and leave your number. Call back in 3-4 weeks. If he argues drop your offer $50.

OR....

Find another 510 goon and buy this for parts with no intention of driving it.

buy and part out. get like a hundred dollars for a few things and youve made profit. sell windows, those go for a bit, and any internal switches like turn signal / light switches. easilay make 600 back. probably get that jus for the engine, it looks super clean

Don't waste your time. If you have $8K for your budget, buy a clean 510 from the west, have it shipped, and do a few things to make it yours. Done.

Unless you want to do things the hard way!

This.

For 8k, you could find an essentially completely restored 510 AND have it shipped to your door step.

The rub would be finding someone on the West Coast you trust with your money who knows how to get a car transported.

That, or fly and drive if you have the time. Throw a few bucks at a local Ratsunner to go look at a car for you and play middle man; if there ends up being a good find, get finger fucked through TSA then wing your way on over to the West Coast Promise Land and pick up your jolly roger then road trip back home. Probably cost you about the same as having it transported AND you get the adventure of road tripping her home. Bring a friend and make a party out of it. With a wagon, you could even camp in the back. :)

the car is real rough my friend went and looked at it and said it was worse off than mine and its in pretty bad shape. if he walks away from something its bad.

Well thanks for the input guys, I'll going to passing on this, I know it's been on C/L for a while and it must be for a reason.

I know I could be a west coast 510 for $8K, but I will feel bad if I hack up a clean dime. I found two other 510 coupes, for a good price. One has been sitting for 20 years and it stock, the other was being preped of a SR20, which I don't want. I'll post pic's soon.

i have seen that one on there for quite some time and i actually like the goons a lot. i think swagger wagon when i see one. but this one is super rough. if you got it next to nothin i would go for it if you want to put a lot of time in it. and the whole deal with the title isn't too hard. i know in georgia you can buy it with a bill of sale and apply for lost title. i hear people talk about it all the time. a few of my friends practically own their own classic chevy lots. they do it all the time.

Is that engine bay sandblasted? All things considering, it looks clean in there.

Did Aaron Datsun sell his red wagon with the KA in it? He was asking half of what your budget is, and that wagon is done. I think he was somewhere halfway, Colorado? $4-5K can get you a pretty nice wagon.

i know in georgia you can buy it with a bill of sale and apply for lost title. i hear people talk about it all the time. a few of my friends practically own their own classic chevy lots. they do it all the time.

i didnt even need the title on my wagon walked into tag office with bill of sale and got tag, same with insurance in ga 85 and below you don't need a title just bill of sale

That car has seen better days. I wouldn't mess with it unless you're a bodyman. And even then, I'd find something better. Keep an eye out on the west coast, fly out, drive or trailer back a better example.

Well thanks for the input guys, I'll going to passing on this, I know it's been on C/L for a while and it must be for a reason.

I know I could be a west coast 510 for $8K, but I will feel bad if I hack up a clean dime. I found two other 510 coupes, for a good price. One has been sitting for 20 years and it stock, the other was being preped of a SR20, which I don't want. I'll post pic's soon.

You found some coupes out this way? Sure you dont mean sedan? Seen a couple of sedans here lately. :D Good pass on that wagon.

Jeff

3nb3k13p65Y45Z25R6b9dbc493285286b1333.jpg3k63od3l35Y25Z05S4b9daf4795ffd12610fd.jpg

This is a 1970 2 door Sedan that I found, original with very small amount of rust says the sell. Its been sitting for 20 years, and the driver's window was shot out by some kid with a BB gun. It's a 4-speed manual. I e-mail the guy like 2 days got a reply, and I replied back the same, and I haven't heard from him since. So I just called him and now he telling that somebody is going to look at it Saturday mad.gif That's the day I wanted to go drive 5 hours and pick it up.