flat black or rust?

i just picked up my first datsun pickup, and i am having trouble deciding the fate of my baby, shes a '73 and shes pretty well rusty, but only on the body. i want your guys's opinion before i start my build, leave it rusty or paint it black? i personally like the sun tan on top but i want second opinions. this is what im starting with...

298801_278713232143475_100000144013891_1331411_2262096_n.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its definately getting lowered but no body drop, or frame rail mods, just a simple drop, the wheels are definatley getting swapped, possibly for some diamond racing wheels due to their cheap price and my very tight budget, but things may change, i may get the stocket widened and painted. i bought her for 50$ with a seized engine and thoroughly rust infested. its a california car but its been parked in the open exposed to the elements since '86 so its going to need some attention. anyways, i tried to un-seize the block, and i cleaned up the head, but no luck, it looks as if i will be needing a new engine. (anyone have an l16, 18, or 20 for cheap?) thats it for now, ive had her for a few days and work moves slow when you make close to nothing and youre seventeen...

Keep it stock. Minus the drop-do that.

Find some oe wheel covers for your stockers.

Roll it!

Just get the thing in good shape.

Fix what's wrong, then go from there.

Welcome to Ratsun.

Good advice!

Here's mine when I got it and what it looked like with just a little work.

Great score!

New620KC5-2-09008.jpg

New620KC5-3-09003.jpg

New620KC5-7-09002.jpg

New620KC5-10-09005.jpg

New620KC5-10-09006.jpg

A running, driving rust bucket beats the hell out of a flat black rig that's parked :)

Also good advice. I love my rusty 510!

68partscar3.jpg

Leave it rusty, just touch-up some stuff.

68Rat12-12-10002-1.jpg

rearfenderroll012.jpg

But, what ever you do, HAVE FUN DOING IT!

Welcome to Ratsun Rust scares me to the core, I would take care of that and maybe replace it with a rising sun, buff the rest out and keep it waxed, find out the engine issue, fix or replace, if the rims are stock color, find some stock hubcaps and call them good, and remember, the lower you go the shittier the ride.:D

Flat black is SOOOOOOOO overdone, and *rarely* looks decent. Most times it just ends up looking like the person didn't feel like taking the time to do it right. Nice satin jobs look good, but a level of niceness is rarely achieved.

The whole nice-beater look is becoming more in fashion, I'd go that route. Buff the paint/rust, and drive it, until you can afford an actual good paint job.

thanks for the advise guys, bob your truck is awesome and i too love your 510. i havnt made any progress besides finding out that i need a nesw engine haha. i will be rebuilding the l16 most likely but shes seized and the head has been eaten away around the seals too. im buying a z22 with z24 head and dual sidedrafts from a friend too, so shes going to be a sleeper. yeah its a cali car but the rust is almost all cancerous, besides the roof. i was actually contemplating buffing a rising sun on the roof, but i like the fully "sunburned" look. i might do a rising sun in the bed, and possibly one on the fender well buckets in the engine bay. other ideas are cleaning up and painting the engine compartment to show car quality and leaving everything janky af. i have been thinking about trying to swap my 280z front hubs and discs on the 620 spindles but not sure if it will work, cant hurt trying, and if it doesnt work, i might put lug pattern adapters so i can use my 4 lug ansens which are almost perfect. some hand made metal zg flares will be a for sure too.

pics of the busted up engine tomorrow.!!!!!!!!!!!

201360_218316394849826_100000144013891_1002923_5373911_o.jpg

and my donor car. 76 280z. trying to sell it but i kinda wanna take the rear diff gears from it too. got this one for 300$, another good buy, but i dont wanna deal with smog because i dont leave engines stock lol25000 miles on the odometer.

makes me want to keep it too

heres some pictures of the car coming home, by human power. :cool:

home1.jpg

home2.jpg

people power!

home4.jpg

my buddy jack and his pooch addy

home5.jpg

and another shot of fido

home3.jpg

shot before rubbing with a towel, ugly yellow

yellowbeforewiping.jpg

shot after wiping mildly with a towel, now the color comes back

yellowafterwiping.jpg

and a nice ratty shot for you ratty ass hicks out there

rattyshot.jpg

Steer clear of the adapters.

Stay 6 lug-or 5 lug it.Just do it right.

Z22 motor w/ Z24 head sounds cooler than it is.

BUT-a Z22 block, with the right combo of L parts could be a potent little combo.

(Research, research, research!.)

Sell the Z for some hot 6 lug wheels.

They're out there.

OR...

Sell the Z for an L20B motor..LZ22 time!

Slow down.

Your eyes are starting to get bigger than your wallet.

Fix what you need to first. Then plan your project.

A running, ratty box of rusty J-Tin is way cooler than a non-op trailer queen.

This is Ratsun.

Not build a garage queen.com

• Like 1

she by no means will end up a trailer queen, even bug bug looked nice but i would dump the clutch at everylight with the stock engine just to have fun., until i dropped a bigger engine in it, then i dumped the clutch so i could smoke people haha. and as for the engine, i was going to pick up an l16 from another member on here for like 150$ but my friend from the vw world is giving me a good deal on that engine and i like power so for now thats whats going in. its for 600$ and the carbs on it are worth like 600$ alone. remember, im seventeen and dont have the time or money to tear apart engines and build monstrosities, except for on the side, i still have to drive the car to high school every day and i cant afford to be 3 months into school before i get an engine in the car. (dont get me wrong i do love tearing apart and building engines, just not practical for the car i need to drive everyday). pics of the seized block and heads later today. thanks for all the advise though, i too love running pos ratty ass rides (especially when theyre slammed to the ground and really loud lol

i was going to pick up an l16 from another member on here for like 150$ but my friend from the vw world is giving me a good deal on that engine and i like power so for now thats whats going in. its for 600$ and the carbs on it are worth like 600$ alone

im seventeen and dont have the time or money to tear apart engines

this is a OxyMoron statement.

L16/L18 is a bolt in.

the Z stuff is not and the intake is on the other side and you better have the clutch set up correct with the size flywheel. Your not researching this right

as for the Z car it looks better ,maybe get that running and sell it. it looks together dont be paring it out just for a few items.

I dont understand the rear diff gears as they are the worst gear ration on those cars 3.54 or ssomething like that

Be honest I think the neiboorhood is going to get it towed away and you have no money.

that 150$ motor will be running fater than the Z head set up you got. SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!Listen.