flat black or rust?

Good advice!

Here's mine when I got it and what it looked like with just a little work.

Great score!

New620KC5-2-09008.jpg

New620KC5-3-09003.jpg

New620KC5-7-09002.jpg

New620KC5-10-09005.jpg

New620KC5-10-09006.jpg

Also good advice. I love my rusty 510!

68partscar3.jpg

Leave it rusty, just touch-up some stuff.

68Rat12-12-10002-1.jpg

rearfenderroll012.jpg

But, what ever you do, HAVE FUN DOING IT!

just realized you have an nsx and a m3,... nice

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have two friends who wanna drop this in but im afraid the fab work would be too much for me.

th_55861d98.jpg

and another project i helped out on a little, thought you all would like it just simply because its awesome; twins turbo built 2 rotor turbo rx7. 740 hp at 14 lbs of boost.

th_a28325fa.jpg

the revs are a bit weird due to the dynapack dyno limiting the wheel speed but it was wide open after it started idling, also the turbo spooled up quite slow haha.

i was going to pick up an l16 from another member on here for like 150$ but my friend from the vw world is giving me a good deal on that engine and i like power so for now thats whats going in. its for 600$ and the carbs on it are worth like 600$ alone

im seventeen and dont have the time or money to tear apart engines

this is a OxyMoron statement.

L16/L18 is a bolt in.

the Z stuff is not and the intake is on the other side and you better have the clutch set up correct with the size flywheel. Your not researching this right

as for the Z car it looks better ,maybe get that running and sell it. it looks together dont be paring it out just for a few items.

I dont understand the rear diff gears as they are the worst gear ration on those cars 3.54 or ssomething like that

Be honest I think the neiboorhood is going to get it towed away and you have no money.

that 150$ motor will be running fater than the Z head set up you got. SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!Listen.

its not a z headse tits the complete engine, already finished, ready to swap in, my case on the l16 is seized and the head has been eaten away by electrolysis, the l16/ l18 bolting together or whatever you said makes perfect sense i know but i never said anything about changing heads on my engine. the z22 engine with the z24 head and side drafts is an engine my friend is going to sell to me, complete, ready to go. i dont have time to rebuild my l16 and i dont have the money to have the cylinders bored or hones, dont have money for new rings or pistons. the whole new engine will be waaay easier for me and plus it has a set of 600$ carbs, and im paying 600$ for the wholllle thing

everything is parked in the back yard too so the neighbors cant get it towed, plus even if it was in the front they wouldnt because theyr all old hot rodders who love junky rusty cars that fly haha. the point of my putting the z-car gears is to make it cruis at higher speeds easier, your right i havnt researched the gearing on the 620 yet but im just assuming that the rear end from the z will let me do highway speeds easier.

its not a z headse tits the complete engine, already finished, ready to swap in, my case on the l16 is seized and the head has been eaten away by electrolysis, the l16/ l18 bolting together or whatever you said makes perfect sense i know but i never said anything about changing heads on my engine. the z22 engine with the z24 head and side drafts is an engine my friend is going to sell to me, complete, ready to go. i dont have time to rebuild my l16 and i dont have the money to have the cylinders bored or hones, dont have money for new rings or pistons. the whole new engine will be waaay easier for me and plus it has a set of 600$ carbs, and im paying 600$ for the wholllle thing

everything is parked in the back yard too so the neighbors cant get it towed, plus even if it was in the front they wouldnt because theyr all old hot rodders who love junky rusty cars that fly haha. the point of my putting the z-car gears is to make it cruis at higher speeds easier, your right i havnt researched the gearing on the 620 yet but im just assuming that the rear end from the z will let me do highway speeds easier.

oh i missed what you were trying to get to with the whole flywheel being the correct size sorry, i though that you were saying that i couldnt bolt up the z engine head on the l series and i was like duhhhhh, blink.gif

the engine was in a pickup before and so im assuming it fits right in, and the guy who i know who is selling it says it drops right in. the point is is that yeah i could go buy a new head for the l series and rebuild my bottom end, but all the little things like gaskets, bearings, shims, tolerances, adjustments, and unforeseen problems that i would have to be prepared for is not worth doing it. i could need a new crank for all i know, i mean ive had my pistons soaking in liquid wrench trying to get them to be free and ive hammered the shit out of them with a block of wood and they wont come loose. id rather just buy this engine, which i knoow fits, and i knoow runs, and be done.

I say sand off the surface rust, clear coat the whole thing and roll with it. As far as the motor goes, i'd keep it simple. It's more fun to drive you truck than to look at it and a big motor sitting in the garage. I stuck with an L series in my car and had it driving in a day.

im not leaving an l series, im a seventeen year old who needs to get to school, itll take me a month at least to get my l series finished and i live 8 miles from school. the z engine will not be a big engine sitting in the driveway, it would be in the car in a matter of days, probably in two days actually. why do you all think it would be quicker to remove my engine, source a head, rebuild the bottom end, and buy a new carb, intake, and whatever else may be broken than to just buy a complete running engine.

Wow.

Just sayin.

What's wrong with an L series?

Why spend $600 on a Z motor with carbs that will never get fully used?

Take that $600 and buy a full L motor.

With plenty of money to spare.

Go look up why Z motors end up with L heads on them.

Z24 head is definatly running far away from a better solution for you.

im not trying to den any of your knowlege, i love to hear other's opinions and information and it helos me learn as i go. i know that the heads are limited in the z22 and the cas is bad on the z24 but i havnt heard anything bad about the z24 head, and that the z22 case is basically the same as the l series but slightly more reinforced. bigger displacement is most of the time better, i mean you cant argue that, and this isnt going to be a racecar its going to be a shitty pickup with a decently quick engine. i could find an l series running for cheap, but then i would have to save way more to get those carbs, and exhaust. i like the idea of sticking with the l series too, but one other reason this is the best choice for me is that im trading some stuff for it too. so less cash and some trades. plus it has almost zero miles on the engine since the rebuild and all of the work to get it to fit in a truck has already been done.

sorry no pics yet but my phone bill didnt get paid ( mom haha) and i cant send the pics to photobucket. later tonight or tomorrow for sure they will be up.

heres the engine guys, i thought maybe it would be dumb to post pics of a broken engine, unless you guys wanna see the damage.

92.jpg

94.jpg

Don't worry about making anybody happy but yourself, it will mostly bolt right into your truck. Most of us are not big fans of the Z block head, although most of us don't use our engines beyond the operating envolope of the Z block engine/head combo anyway, which is very funny when you think about it, since it has more power than a stock L block will ever have. :lol: As long as it is a good engine, have you heard it run? Why are they getting rid of it?

ive heard it run in a 510, ive seen it run in a 510, its damn fast, i dont understand why people think its slow, it beats 2 litre bugs off the line(in a 510) and that is not easy to do, a two liter bug making 200 hp and weighing 1600lbs will basically beat a ferrari in the quarter mile, i would know haha

bug.jpg

but though the flow and the cam profiles are somewhat limited by this head, they still do make performance cams for it, and even the "street" cam add a tonnnnnnn of lift and duration compared to the stock cam, yeah you cant have all that lift at the same time on the intake and exhaust but if you time the intake and exhaust correctly the valves wont hit and they will still make more power.

and hey, im young, i dont have the money to get anything done to an l head besides mayyyyybe a cam and i wouldnt be able to afford the rockers to suit a big cam anyways, so for now this kind of power is perfect. plus ive read extensive articles about how these engines are extremely well suited for turbochargers, due to the flow through design. another characteristic which is more scientific than most people think about when talking turbos is that because there are eight spark plugs, if it creates more of a complete burn, than the gasses inside the combustion chamber will be hotter, thus making them expand more when they are released by the exhaust valve, and more air coming out means bigger turbo. the bigger volume of air caused by the expansion of the hot gasses can trick the turbo into thinking its a bigger engine and making it feasable to use a bigger turbo.

and lastly, theres no replacement for displacement. period plus the bigger the combustion chamber, the cooler the noise from my personal experience haha.

gotta actually pick up the engine in like a day or two, whenever i can slang my stuff by, and then itll go right in. gotta find someone with a cherrypicker for it too. only other things i need done are the throttle cable to be figured out, and i have to redo all the brakes and get new tires. it has been sitting since 1986' and so all the fuel line, brake lines, and clutch lines will be replaced first, followed by suspension rubber in the future.

so i picked up the engine last night, literally, with the help of a few football player friends, tongue.gif and it looks like its in amazing shape. i could easily turn the flywheel until the compression hit, something i couldnt do on the l16, and funny thing i found out, the l16 that was in the truck had flattop pistons with valve cutouts,(not sure if thats stock, ive only seen dished pistons before in the l series), and the head and cam were from an l20 from what ive read. maybe i should keep the cam for a later project? or sell itwink.gif. not sure yet though. anyways, i am in the process of freeing up the throttle linkage, the part that the linkage bolts on to actually hits and bottoms out before the butterflys are all the way opened so i will be figuring that out soon, and then post some pics of the problem and the fix. engine should be in within the next week or two and then ill do the brakes and itll be road worthy. stay tuned

after cleaning the block and inspecting i noticed that it seems to be a z20 rather than a z22 with and with a z24 head. from what ive heard about how quick the engine is and multiple accounts of close friends saying it beats 2 litre bugs (and all with the butterflies opening only 3/4 of the way, id say she'll be a screamer, dont know exactly what the displacement will be not that ive seen its a z20 but im still happy, its a good buy, and itll be faster than my seized engine for sure

the engine is in and i now need to man handle the trans mount into place. it sits maybe a degree off and i just have to clamp it down and shove some bolts into it. the new clutch line is also in. next is getting the 280z clutch and brake master cylinder changed over. ill put some pics of the engine going in tonight.

engine is bolted in and running. my mac is down and im on an incapable ibm laptop so pictures arent going to be up yet. i also lowered the front like 4 inches, which was necessary because the driveshaft hit the adjusters if they were at stock height. so that worked out well