Hood "mural"

I've decided that if I don't have the cash to get my car off of jack stands, I might as well make it look good on jack stands. So I'm going to paint (or attempt to paint) a graphic work on the hood. I'll post some sketches when I get closer to a final design, but the idea is based off of Alphonse Mucha's Art Nouveau style. It's a modern Geisha with some Mucha frames in the background. Of course it will have a rising sun.

But here's my issue. I'm doing this on the cheap and can't air brush. I can illustrate and make some decent masks to paint on. Will a rattle can job look like ass? I plan to distress it a little so it won't have to be perfect. Also, will acrylic stick and lay down thin enough to work with and last?

It's been awhile since I've done anything like this, and I'm not a painter. I scuffed the hood with red scotchbrite and degreased it. I'll finalize the illustration tomorrow and use some tack paper for a mask. Any other suggestions or advice from anyone who's done this? Otherwise I'm just going to jump in feet first and see what happens.

Images to reference for those who don't know who Mucha is.

http://www.allposters.com/-st/Alphonse-Mucha-Posters_c26867_.htm

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont have a mural on my top of my hood, but I do have one under the hood....It was done by a artist friend of mine....I really like it, it is something you must see in person to get full apreciation of it.

I bet you will find someone that will help you out. There is alot of talented people on this website...good luck!!!

DSCN0747.jpg

Here's a jpeg of the basic idea.

4g63_small.jpg

I'm sure the colors will change some. The orangish color is the Sahara Gold color of the hood. The lettering will change, as it was the closest I had and didn't want to spend too much time in the computer on it. I'm still not happy with her dress, as it doesn't look authentic enough to me. I wanted it to be more modern and sexy, but it just came out to "western" to me. I think I'm going to just get started on the background and see what happens. This design will basically just cover the passenger side of the hood.

Here is the first round of painting:

This is the initial masking. I had some brown kitchen shelving paper that has an adhesive back and seems to be made of thin plastic. Works pretty good, except it can leave some adhesive residue.

IMAG0066.jpg

After I hit it with white paint, I masked off the white in preparation for the red.

IMAG0069.jpg

And there's the red.

IMAG0070.jpg

Unmasked and waiting to dry.

IMAG0072.jpg

The paint is still soft, and I want it to dry properly before putting more paint on top. I had some bleeding and overspray, but a quick hit of brake cleaner with a rag or q-tip cleaned it up. I also had to scrape a few areas with the xacto knife to get a clean edge. I'll start laying out the illustration tonight and hopefully get some paint laid down.

I've got the first round of black outline done and some of the tree. I'm trying to think of a good way to "trace" my design onto the hood. I might just use my stencil as an outline and go from there. It looks pretty good so far, and don't have any regrets as of yet. We'll see what happens when I try to put some acrylic on with a brush. The distressing should cover some flaws, but we'll see what happens next.

Should invite this guy over for a BBQ and or....

Sure he could rattle can a few hoods.............. :D

Posted before.... but....still rather impressive.

I do like this one though...

samurai_girl_glowei_01.jpg

For some reason I feel like I've been bad.....and should be punished.... :frantics: ... :lol:

Those rattle can "artists" are mostly hacks. They do have some skill, but most of what they do are stencils or copies of things already done. They don't really do original stuff. They also use a lot of "tricks" to make their stuff look more impressive than it is. You see the guy in the video use paper to add texture.

If this thing turns out, I might do some other things for personal use. I've always wanted a piece of a classic car hood or something on my wall. We'll see how this goes first.

• 1 month later...
Those rattle can "artists" are mostly hacks. They do have some skill, but most of what they do are stencils or copies of things already done.

sayin stencils make an artist a hack?

Iv been a graffiti/street artist for nearly 10 years.

99% of my gallery work is stencil.

takes much more than a hack and an afternoon to sit down and cut/spray something like this.

Logan-Hicks.jpg

by the madman Logan Hicks

Primary_Flight_2008_JG_Logan_Hicks0.jpg

wooster08.jpg

Hicks is mental lol

sayin stencils make an artist a hack?

Iv been a graffiti/street artist for nearly 10 years.

99% of my gallery work is stencil.

takes much more than a hack and an afternoon to sit down and cut/spray something like this.

Logan-Hicks.jpg

by the madman Logan Hicks

Primary_Flight_2008_JG_Logan_Hicks0.jpg

wooster08.jpg

Hicks is mental lol

+100000000000000000000000