starting for the first time...

Stupid_fast

This the stock gauge? When overheated do the hoses get hard? Does it burp out coolant from the rad cap ? What I'm trying to assess is, is it really overheating or just saying it's overheated. Could the reading be misleading?

Very rare to overheat while moving as lots of air passes through the rad from vehicle speed.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This the stock gauge? When overheated do the hoses get hard? Does it burp out coolant from the rad cap ? What I'm trying to assess is, is it really overheating or just saying it's overheated. Could the reading be misleading?

Very rare to overheat while moving as lots of air passes through the rad from vehicle speed.

Thats what I'm starting to think... When it first overheated when I drove it with the ignition too retarded the overflow bottle was full immediately, but this time it was empty, rad hoses where only warm, ect.

Bad thermostat? Bad temp gauge? The temp sender is a new unit. Ideas?

Theres no real difference in how it drives when the gauge starts going up, how should it run when it starts to overheat?

Thanks!

When overheated it may ping much more when driving. Internal pressure goes up so the rad hoses get rock hard. You may smell the coolant.

Well, none of those things happened. Bad gauge? I can go buy a gauge tomorrow night, but is there a better way to test the stock gauge? I will research tomorrow.

thanks...

I hope you tested the new thermo-stat, I've seen new ones not opening up ALL the way.GL

The old one was new, this is a rebuild engine, everything new... The reason you just said is why I replaced it. :S

Gonna mess around with it tomorrow, then head to troy's to get it tuned and exhaust welded in.

telling you get the quiet one and maybe add a resonater, when your woman says I cant hear you talking then youlll know.

I daily drive my 521 my Superturbo is loud in morning cold. Everybody hears my start up like clockwork.

above 65 is get louder. Around town is fine but If I do it again I will get a stock type muffler with 2inch or this Cherry bomb and add a resonater.

telling you get the quiet one and maybe add a resonater, when your woman says I cant hear you talking then youlll know.

I daily drive my 521 my Superturbo is loud in morning cold. Everybody hears my start up like clockwork.

above 65 is get louder. Around town is fine but If I do it again I will get a stock type muffler with 2inch or this Cherry bomb and add a resonater.

Yep- I understand what you are saying. :P I'm just going to have them weld back the p/o's exhaust setup since I have it. Will save a few coin to get it JCCS-ready..

How's your thermostat? Are you running lean? How's your plug and is it hot plug, check your spark plugs..

Thanks but the car is at Troy Ermish right now. He is fixing everything, wont get it back until next week. Where you at the Santa Clara meet last night?

Car was running really rich probably due to the wrong engine mount brackets having the engine/carb at the wrong angle.

I replaced the thermostat and when I drove it to fremont it did OK, drove on freeway for maybe 10 min did great @ 70mph, temp was stable up until half way there(took a back road for most of the way), then from there it was almost at the H for the rest of the way. :( I just drove it gently and tried to keep the revvs down. Didn't go over the H and got it there okay.

Spark plugs are NEW, gapped and regapped, coil, ignition is all good. I pulled plugs when I did the compression test, they where black... Running rich, not lean! I leaned out the idle mix as much as possible while still idling, and it ran decently.

Timing was set before I left, 12btdc.

Durrrr... I fixed the heat problem. I was driving it, heat was near H, pulled over, backed idle mixture out 1/4 turn(running more rich) heat is around halfway on the gauge now and running better than ever.

Seems I just suck at tuning.

Idle is still high, 1000RPM's. Just have to find the right balance of idle.

Well, just tested the temp gauge and it seems fine. I'm going to replace the thermostat and check some other stuff.

Not the gauge... the sender in the thermostat housing!

get a nice quiet muffler.

cherry bomb turbo 2

I'm 17. unsure.gif

Wahahaha that's good!

Works both ways Hainz. :lol:

Durrrr... I fixed the heat problem. I was driving it, heat was near H, pulled over, backed idle mixture out 1/4 turn(running more rich) heat is around halfway on the gauge now and running better than ever.

Idle mixture only affects idle unless this is a Weber?

adjust the speed screw. should be barely engageing the throttle to about a half turned IN

adjust the mixture. In/Out till it runs smooth

adjust the timming

do all this over and over again.

I run a 1/8 hole in the stat if you dont have the bypass to the lower stat housing .(picture is better)

You running a Fan?

a stock Rad?

?????????

OK.. I'll go at it again. Its a bitch to get running right!! Currently wont overheat idling @ 1000rpm's but not running perfect.

I've been fucking with it for the past hour or so just to get a feel for it. Its just cause I have no experience with carbs, I'm sure I can get it going right.

I was following the weber lean best tuning.. I'll try your method!!

Plastic 6 blade clutch fan with fiero rad.

The thermostat already has a little hole with the jiggle valve thingy... Should I add another 1/8th one??

Not the gauge... the sender in the thermostat housing!

Wahahaha that's good!

Works both ways Hainz. :lol:

Idle mixture only affects idle unless this is a Weber?

Sender is NEW and functioning !! The temp gauge and sender seem to be good and reading accurately!!

Yup the exhaust sounds awesome, its not a daily so if I have a date I can always drive my CRESSIDA luxury. cool.gif

So quiet you wont know its there until its on top of you.

And yes, its a weber 32/36.

adjust the speed screw. should be barely engageing the throttle to about a half turned IN

adjust the mixture. In/Out till it runs smooth

adjust the timming

do all this over and over again.

I run a 1/8 hole in the stat if you dont have the bypass to the lower stat housing .(picture is better)

You running a Fan?

a stock Rad?

?????????

I cant get it to idle smooth under 1000RPM ... I tried this speed screw 1/2 turn IN, adjusted mixture until it was as smooth as I could get it, set timing, overheating!! I tried and tried and now I cannot get back to the setting when it was not overheating. Need to mess with it more :(

Charge light is coming on now too... suggests that fan belt is bad, but I just replaced it! its as tight as I can get it, very little play...

I messed around with it for a bit, this morning the alt light was on also so fiddled with a few unrelated things, went to work, then it started working later in the day when I was home. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get it to where it was not overheating. and hopefully fix the alt. Bat voltage is good 12.65v.

Fan belt was squealing a little on start-up when hot...

Could bad alt cause temp gauge to go up?!

Ideas? Thanks..

Bad alt. shouldn't make it run hotter. if the fan belt is old it could be dry and slipping. If the belt is slipping on the water pump that could be making it run hot. also if the carb was running way too lean that could be making it run hot too. battery voltage at 12.65v is good for not running but while the car is running should be around 14v.