starting for the first time...

Stupid_fast

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you have any clearance on the valves it will run fine enough to get it dialed in. The lash can be set later. I was concerned one was too tight and not shutting. When I picked up my 710 I set TDC quickly and wiggled the rockers by hand, 180'd it and checked the other four. They all had some slight wiggle so were not too tight. More than good enough to drive home on.

Sounds like carb. 32/36?

Make sure your idle jet is clean, pull it from the holder and make sure you can see light through it. Also Report back on which number is stamped on it.

I'm gonna clean the jet, and I'll be back soon with that number..

As long as you have any clearance on the valves it will run fine enough to get it dialed in. The lash can be set later. I was concerned one was too tight and not shutting. When I picked up my 710 I set TDC quickly and wiggled the rockers by hand, 180'd it and checked the other four. They all had some slight wiggle so were not too tight. More than good enough to drive home on.

Sounds like carb. 32/36?

Makes sense, well now they are set to cold specs so it should be ok.

Yeah, its a new 32/36 I got from the p/o ... genuine weber.

Thats how it ran after advancing the timing and messing with the mixture, ect... Does it sound normal when I was holding the throttle? I've only heard an L series run a few times.

sounded pretty smooth to me. Real test is have some load on it.

So by holding the throttle, how low can you get the engine speed? You show 1k rpm. can you get it down to 800?

Yeah I probably could, maybe even 600rpm's. I just didn't think of trying. I will try to get it lower next time I test fire it.\

At the end of the vid where I pulsed the throttle, it was running at pretty low RPM's.

I see. Makes sense.

As for the idle jet... I have no idea where it is, or how to remove it. Is there any guide on this? I looked an an exploded view of a 32/36 and looks like I have to remove the carb to get at it?

edit, wow my knowledge and understanding of this carburetor has been completely smashed... lol

2ndary idle jet is a 50..

OK well runs OK, suspension brakes, clutch, trans all good. 3 miles down the road heat started going up!! I turned around pulled over to let it cool off for 4 min, took it down the road a bit until I saw a guy watering his plants, asked him for some water(silly when you pull up in a exhaust-less car asking for water), filled up the rad and went home... no leaks, the hommade overflow can for the rad does not really work well.(soda bottle...)

Its home good, throttle had some hesistation ... cant tell how its running really. Power was good, ran pretty strong, I gave it a bit of throttle and engine braking in the turns to get those rings to seal.

Get braking it in, meow!!!

I did, drove it for quite a bit today. That vid was the tuning after the first drive.

Surprisingly less bitchy to drive with the 11lb flywheel and roadster clutch than I was lead to believe, easier to drive than a 350z or S2000. Smoooth clutch engagement and nice shifting. cool.gif

Great isn't it? Cautiously watching the gauges and listening for something while stretching her legs out on the road.

It was wonderful. cool.gif Except when it started overheating on the first run... Too rich I think? Ran a lot better after I tuned it.

Second time driving a Datsun, first time driving a 510.

oil pressure is good, everything seems good so far. I will update on tuesday when I take it out again, probably tune it nice and first oil change. Maybe even take it to an exhaust shop if I can.

Handled great even cornering @ 40-50mph pushed it a little but nothing major. Handles like a big go-cart!! The 13x5.5's give a good amount of traction for this car.

what was wrong with the Pertronix set up???????????How does it fire on 1&3 when there is 4 magnets to tell the module/coil to fire?

I was using it on a dual points dizzy... the pickup was like 4mm away from the madnet, and the magnet was sitting loosely on the shaft... :S

Anyway, whiped off the shaft and used some tightly wound electrical tape for the shaft, so the magenet is SNUG on there. Then I drilled the pertronix mounting plate and got it under 2mm from the pickup... so all is good.

Dunno why it only fired from two, it was really bizarre.

I gotta go buy a timing light...

edit, pics are always nice!! where I pulled over after it started heating up on the first run... Finally a picture out of the garage. And of course, with the hood open as always.

img20110814173052.jpg

do you have the fenders, bumper, and grill yet? other than a few missing parts, that's a beautiful car. Awesome wheels :)

Yeah, I have the fenders. One is OK, some rust, the other one was from a brown car because this one was wrecked at one point. Its pretty straight for its condition and handles fine with the new suspension luckily.

I have the one that was brown stripped down, I'm still working on getting them done. I will finish the body work this weekend.

As for the bumpers, I have them but they are rusted pretty bad on the inside. I'm probably going to only run the rear one for a while. Not sure yet.

Thanks, btw!! cool.gif its a lot more ratty in person, but its not bad.