starting for the first time...

Stupid_fast

Bad alt. shouldn't make it run hotter. if the fan belt is old it could be dry and slipping. If the belt is slipping on the water pump that could be making it run hot. also if the carb was running way too lean that could be making it run hot too. battery voltage at 12.65v is good for not running but while the car is running should be around 14v.

Yeah, the fan belts I had where NEW. Alt is new. Ritchening up the carb mixture seems to make it run cool, there's a sweet spot in the idle settings around 1000rpm that make it run OK.

When I pulled the spark plugs at first oil change/ 20 miles they where BLACK! seems the carb is over-jetted ? I think it just needs a rejet/tune and new plugs...

Bat voltage was 12.6-12.8v with car OFF, Alternator was reading around 14.3-14.6v ... even though the "CRG" light was pulsing very faintly, I guess its just more noticeable at night. Why would it be pulsing like that? This is my 2nd NEW/rebuilt alt.

Again, pretty much everything on the mechanical of the car are new/rebuilt parts.

Thanks...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

could be the wires to the CRG light are bad and causing resistance. If the batt. is reading 14.3 while running that's fine. Black plugs mean too rich. too rich can be from over jetted or just adjusted wrong, but sounds like you have played with adjustments already. could be jetted wrong.

Yup, charge light is just pulsing, can barely see it, it's just more noticeable at night. Alt getting 14.3v correctly to the battery, I wired up the autometer volt gauge and it stayed stable while driving around 2 hours.

Ok, it was not overheating. I got an autometer electric temp gauge and now its reading steady at around 160* on backraods. Never saw it go over 180*.

I watched the stock gauge go up on the H and the autometer was still displaying a steady 160* ...

I put the autometer sender into where the coolant bypass hole. Threaded with some fittings I had leftover from the oil gauge!

Idle was my mistake, I gapped the plugs to 0.035 (haynes guide for L16) instead of 0.041 ... running a lot better now.

Thanks everyone for the help, now the carb just has to be rejetted and tuned. Seems it can wait until after JCCS! cool.gif

A lot of fun to drive now its running nice!