280zx struts

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oreilly and NAPA sell bolts like that.

Not my stores.  O'Reilly's didn't have anything close.  Napa had them, but not in class 10.9.... and I seem to remember they also weren't quite long enough....

Thank you! Much appreciated. I looked at fastenal but couldn't find them. I'll look again. Its the unthreaded (shoulder) portion I was unsure of. (I think 20mm ish). I'm also using RCA's.

I don't actually have a Fastenal up here.  I got mine from a place called Fire and Fasteners.  They had to special order them from the lower 48.  I only assume Fastenal can order them.  I don't see why they couldn't.  Did you ask them to look that size up in their books?

• 3 weeks later...

The 280zx spring is too big for the 510. spring, perch, and top hat must be removed and replaced with a 510 perch, spring, top hat OR adjustable coilovers. I say go with the coilovers. You don't HAVE to shorten the struts, they are a little shorter than stock 510 struts already. use stock or zx brake lines, and I highly suggest new master cyl. from a 280z if you are keeping stock rear brakes or a 280 zx master if your doing rear discs too.

He is correct.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

does anyone know what brand of coilovers on ebay will work i cant find any for 280zx?

If you look for 280zx coils they may not fit the 510 strut tower. The stock 280zx coils won't so coil overs may not either. Order coils for a 510 and you for sure won't have a problem. Also what spring rate are you going to ask for? Ordering just any coil could be a big disappointment. Do you know what the stock rate is? Do you know how firm you want to go???

Did you know that for under $30 you can convert your stock springs and a zx strut and make them both adjustable for height and increase the spring rate? Think about it... once you have the firmness you want and the ride height you like what good is it that they are adjustable???? They are an expense that is just along for the ride.

If you look for 280zx coils they may not fit the 510 strut tower. The stock 280zx coils won't so coil overs may not either. Order coils for a 510 and you for sure won't have a problem. Also what spring rate are you going to ask for? Ordering just any coil could be a big disappointment. Do you know what the stock rate is? Do you know how firm you want to go???

Did you know that for under $30 you can convert your stock springs and a zx strut and make them both adjustable for height and increase the spring rate? Think about it... once you have the firmness you want and the ride height you like what good is it that they are adjustable???? They are an expense that is just along for the ride.

Actually the ZX stock front coil springs will fit in the 510 you'll have to cut away some of the over flash metal at the bottom of the coil spring hole in the 510. ZX coilovers will fit because their only what 21/2-3" in diameter? My friend Vince in MD has a 510 with stock zx springs in it. You can also use the ZX top hat as their about 3/4" shorter than a 510 unit. But you will have to cut down the outside diameter to that of the stock 510 top hat for it to fit up in the coil springs void.

• 4 months later...

can somebody tell me the difference between my 71 datsun 510 disk brakes and the 280zx disk brakes for the front and tell me why i should or shouldn't replace or upgrade to the zx front suspension already working on changing back drum brakes to zx disk conversion now why should i do the front if already disk or do they have to match ?

Actually the ZX stock front coil springs will fit in the 510 you'll have to cut away some of the over flash metal at the bottom of the coil spring hole in the 510. ZX coilovers will fit because their only what 21/2-3" in diameter? My friend Vince in MD has a 510 with stock zx springs in it. You can also use the ZX top hat as their about 3/4" shorter than a 510 unit. But you will have to cut down the outside diameter to that of the stock 510 top hat for it to fit up in the coil springs void.

A zx spring will leave no room for camber adjustment if the strut tower is stuffed with a large spring. A larger diameter spring and lower perch may also crowd the tire. Use the stock spring cut to the rate you want, or at least smaller diameter coils.

can somebody tell me the difference between my 71 datsun 510 disk brakes and the 280zx disk brakes for the front and tell me why i should or shouldn't replace or upgrade to the zx front suspension already working on changing back drum brakes to zx disk conversion now why should i do the front if already disk or do they have to match ?

Far left is the 510 strut. The rotor is thin and like a saucer 9.1" in diameter. (the caliper is like the one in the bottom picture)

The far right is the 280zx strut. The rotor is vented, like two dinner plates with a space between for cooling and about 10"? diameter. The caliper and pads are huge and will sustain more punishing stops without fade. This is good as today's tires are capable of much harder stops than the nylon tires of over 40 years ago.

510A10zxstruts.jpg

This is a 710 caliper. The 510 is identical and no larger.

710projectbegin008Large-2-1.jpg

I'm surprised you would bother with rear discs first, or at all. Their advantage is almost no maintenance and zero adjustments. As the front brakes do most of the stopping drums are more than enough.

You are aware that the residual valve in your master cylinder is about a 10 PSI rating matched for a drum brake? You really need a 2 PSI residual for a disc brake. The extra pressure will only wear the rear pads away like driving with your foot resting on the brake pedal.

Also, larger diameter caliper disc brakes will need a larger master cylinder. The stock master will work but have to travel farther to supply the volume needed. They will feel mushy. The zx used a 15/16" master, the 510 was only 3/4"

The zx strut tube is also over an inch shorter than the 510, a bonus if lowering your ride height.

Does your 510 have a brake booster? If yes, the 15/16" will feel fine. I have a booster on my 710 and going up to 15/16" from the 3/4" wasn't a noticeable change. If you don't have the booster it will take more effort so you may be better with a stock master.

Another comment on using the 3/4" master w/280zx front brakes is long pedal travel and in some cases the pedal hitting the floor before locking the brakes. 

The mushy feel with a 3/4" master is because less pedal pressure is needed to create the same hydraulic line pressure needed to make the brakes work.  

FYI, part of proper brake system operation is rear drum adjustment. Long pedal travel can be a sign of poorly adjusted rear brake shoes. Poor adjustment means more fluid needs to be pushed to the rear brakes to make them work. If you have a firm but low pedal, check that the rear drum adjustment is correct.

• 1 month later...

This thread has some awesome info on it for sure.

I read the inner diameter of anything for 280zx struts should be 2" like these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003E7E9SU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1427247326&sr=1-1&dpPl=1&dpID=41LNObMi4NL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

So I assume those would work as perches for coilover sleeves. Also, a coilover/sleeve set would need to be a hair over 2" then to slide on and work properly. Correct?

I would use the 510 stock perch but I didn't get the passenger spring so ill have to go the extra step to coilover sleeves.

• 2 weeks later...

just a heads up for anyone happening upon this thread. i ordered cheap coilover sleeves to use just for now and they didn't slide over the strut tube easily. the description said 2" 1/6mm which i mistook for 2 1/6".... So ill have to force them on or bore them out a little.

• 5 months later...

A zx spring will leave no room for camber adjustment if the strut tower is stuffed with a large spring. A larger diameter spring and lower perch may also crowd the tire. Use the stock spring cut to the rate you want, or at least smaller diameter coils.

Far left is the 510 strut. The rotor is thin and like a saucer 9.1" in diameter. (the caliper is like the one in the bottom picture)

The far right is the 280zx strut. The rotor is vented, like two dinner plates with a space between for cooling and about 10"? diameter. The caliper and pads are huge and will sustain more punishing stops without fade. This is good as today's tires are capable of much harder stops than the nylon tires of over 40 years ago.

510A10zxstruts.jpg

What's the information from the picture in the middle, the rotor, strut, and suspension it's the result from left and right struts and brake looks like?

• 4 months later...

DID U USE 280ZX BALL JOINTS OR 510 BALL JOINTS????

My Friend Vince installed ZX struts in his 510 with the ZX springs and perches. He had to trim the inside of the strut tower at the bottom to make clearance for the wider springs. He also trimmed the ZX top hat to reduce the diameter so it could fit in the 510 strut tower. He cut one coil from the springs and the ride height was nice. The car felt good with the ZX springs on it.

I have coilovers on my ZX struts and I did the no weld method with the shaft collars.

Coil%20Over%20Struts%20Installed%20002.j

VG33%20Progress%20017.jpg.opt933x699o0,0