280zx struts

To be clear they are '84 Maxima struts and brakes not exactly zx but built on the same platform. 

And will have the same problems.   ;)

I figured the pads had a long way to go for any trouble. Maybe the easiest fix is to just get new pads for now.

That or bumpsteer spacers. But swapping sides is the "right" way to fix it. 

Other than possibly a quick brake bleed, it's not really much more work. It's 5 bolts and one hose per side. Do it right.   :cool:

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weather's the problem this spring freak. I agree swapping sides is the correct way....... and I will. But easier to just put new pads in. 

It doesn't pull hard to the left just a slight tug? and only when you stab the pedal. I'm hoping this is it.

I'll see this weekend but calling for possible snow tonight and then rain.

Weather's the problem this spring freak. I agree swapping sides is the correct way....... and I will. But easier to just put new pads in. 

It doesn't pull hard to the left just a slight tug? and only when you stab the pedal. I'm hoping this is it.

Turn the wheel all the way to the right, reach your had around the back side of the wheel, and feel where the caliper comes closest to the tie rod. See if there's a gap. If there isn't one, that's most likely your problem. 

Bear in mind, even with new pads the gap is only about 1/4". 

This

It's the tie rod that it runs into, and it's not just the 510. It's everything that's not a Z/ZX.

If you run them with the calipers on the rear side, when you get down to about half pad depth your brakes will go away completely.

Took a lot of people throwing away pads only half worn before me, and independently a few Aussies, figured out they would just swap side-to-side.   :rofl:

Before, the go to fix was bumpsteer spacers, which would give you just enough clearance.

Got my 280zx struts converted to coilovers, installed, went to swap calipers side to side, the lower bolts are running into the tie rod ends and not allowin me to get the bolts started.

Also, any trouble getting the brakes bled since the bleeder screw is lower with the calipers swapped?

Digging up an old thread...

I am about to do 280zx struts with coilover setup on my 510.

Should I swap the struts side to side while I am there? Any other thing I should know? Thanks!!

They are left and right so..... no.

You can swap the calipers

Uhh, you do want to swap the entire struts left for right, while keeping the calipers on their original sides.

Yeah...first time I've seen the thread, though.

So who is right here folks? I need to get the brakes bled and this thing driving.

This

It's the tie rod that it runs into, and it's not just the 510. It's everything that's not a Z/ZX.

If you run them with the calipers on the rear side, when you get down to about half pad depth your brakes will go away completely.

Took a lot of people throwing away pads only half worn before me, and independently a few Aussies, figured out they would just swap side-to-side.   :rofl:

Before, the go to fix was bumpsteer spacers, which would give you just enough clearance. 

Re-read this.  He doesn't say it clearly, but it's inferred that you swap the struts side-to-side, left for right, right for left.  Sorry, you would let the calipers stay with the struts as well.  I wasn't thinking clearly and said you could leave them on their original sides, but then they would be upside down. 

Yeah, I was wrong to say that. Would have been obvious if you think about it, or as soon as you start the swap. This requires the two struts to be removed, new pads looks a lot easier now.  

Two knuckle bolts, 3 top hat bolts, brake line fitting...rinse & repeat :P

I know, sigh. I built these struts 5 years ago with split collars. Just love the brakes, best upgrade ever. I remember (now) knowing to swap them both, just forgot about it. Well, it's March and warming up I guess. Thanks for the catch Matt.

Got my 280zx struts converted to coilovers, installed, went to swap calipers side to side, the lower bolts are running into the tie rod ends and not allowin me to get the bolts started.

Also, any trouble getting the brakes bled since the bleeder screw is lower with the calipers swapped?

Wow. You did a lot of stuff wrong.  ^_^

1. Not sure what's going on there, need pics. The lower bolts are nowhere near the tie rod. 

2. Sounds like you have the calipers on backwards/upside down. 

you do want to swap the entire struts left for right, while keeping the calipers on their original sides.

This is incorrect.

Re-read this.  He doesn't say it clearly, but it's inferred that you swap the struts side-to-side, left for right, right for left.  Sorry, you would let the calipers stay with the struts as well.  I wasn't thinking clearly and said you could leave them on their original sides, but then they would be upside down. 

That is better.   :thumbup: