authintic 70's graffix

i am looking to the future and need the best idea to continue & finish the last build i will do.1970graffix details scheme's and such all ideas are welcome to our brain storming session.

my base idea is to powder coat all trim/stainless gunmetal like the wheels then 1 solid color paying tribute to the paint sprayed on it in 12/1969

the real goal would be to gost in the best design of the 1970's

subtle but supper sweet

the canvas

http://community.rat...drive-me-crazy/

thank you boys and girls in advance

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50s cars were just paint but many put flames on their cars. 60s saw everyone putting 'racing stripes' on. Only painted on graphics from the 70s I remember were on vans. Guys in furs with whips and swords and half naked chicks with big tits. Some cars came from the factory with stripes but for the most part were just painted. I don't remember anyone putting any graphics on their cars just STP and Thrush stickers..... still, it was the 70s.

Authentic '70s graphics on a 510? BRE stripes? Ghosting wasn't 70s, more recent.

70's was crazy colors more then anything else, less you had a van.

I'd say you would need mag wheels to do the look better with a good pearl paint job, just look through any old custom anything magazine from the 70's you'll see some designs. You are also forgetting you'll need some chrome wheels, modern wheels don't match those sorta paintjobs.

Never lived through it, but fortunately magazines and pictures keep the car spirit alive.. I sigh when I think of most cars nowdays.

Just don't do anything like this

0228071.jpg (yes, I've seen the movie lol)

No more BRE stripes!!!! Do something more original but those stripes are done!!! And anything "Ghost" is played out too!

Panel paint jobs where the rage back then, take a look on the H.A.M.B. They had a thread on 70's paint jobs.

that hippy truck is way out there lovn it check that bubble top out!

grate ideas here i wish i was a painter of fine automo's right out of high school

http://www.jalopyjou...ad.php?t=235996

ok so i was at the project wishing for motivation none to be had last night ,however the glove box has DATSUN in a horizonal cross something should be done with this

electricalsr20008.jpg

electricalsr20012.jpg.

if not in the paint then a logo in the seats or something ?

mabe sandblasted in glass or?

• 2 months later...

Ghosting wasn't 70s, more recent.

Well, maybe we should say ghosting hadn't made it that far north yet. In 75/6 I was apprenticing at "The Prism"~ a paint/body shop that dominated NorCal's custom paint market in the 70's to mid 80's. I was fortunate enough to assist prepping some jobs, and even got "pull the trigger" on occasion....

Like it was yesterday I recall a spectacular '70 SS Camaro at the 1976 Santa Rosa Auto Show. Everything on that car was polished, chromed, and anodized or painted candy apple blue. Entitled "Moonraker", in just the right light one could see a ghost image of an 1800's clipper ship on the doors. Done in one thin layer of blue murano pearl, the ship was so subtle you couldn't even photograph it! I swear that paint job looked like it was a foot deep....

• 2 months later...