new guy with a 620

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well mom f'd my truck up. now i get to do my cab swap SOONER than i had originally planned. but i have to get a few things taken care of on my new, less rusty cab before i can even think about swapping it over. i have one small rust hole in the drivers floor pan, and swap over my new, un dented non rusty core support. plus paint it and get a new radiator, windsheild, seals, bumper, brackets, cab mounts, hardware, and literally swap everything over. this sucks ass. i might just take my time with it and find a nice little KC to play with while i and gathering parts. i have some $$ from this little "oops" so its all good. she paid me off today so its all good. i will post some pics tomorrow of the damage.

• 2 weeks later...

i have been thinking about just hooking this thing to the back of my jeep and yanking the core support out enough that i can drive it. it wont be pretty but it'll at least give me a truck to haul the parts with to the welder with.

i have been thinking about just hooking this thing to the back of my jeep and yanking the core support out enough that i can drive it. it wont be pretty but it'll at least give me a truck to haul the parts with to the welder with.

If you really don't want to do it with another vehicle, find a big tree (shouldn't be hard up there :) ) , hook up a big logging chain to it, and pull it out that way. I did this one time with a '68 Chevy C10, and it honestly worked pretty good! It was easy to get some tension on the chain and pull it out gradually.

• 3 months later...

well dude when i bought my 620 about 3 months ago i had an stp sticker just like yours in the same exact spot!!! how wierd is that lol

here are some better pics from today. i am still working on this beasty but these are some more progress pics.

th_Picture083.jpg

th_Picture084.jpg

th_Picture085.jpg

th_Picture086.jpg

th_Picture087.jpg

th_Picture089.jpg

also does anyone know what these are and where these wires go to??

th_Picture081.jpg

th_Picture082.jpg

that is the distributor the wires go to each cylinder and the center wire goes to the coil

here are some better pics from today. i am still working on this beasty but these are some more progress pics.

th_Picture083.jpg

th_Picture084.jpg

th_Picture085.jpg

th_Picture086.jpg

th_Picture087.jpg

th_Picture089.jpg

also does anyone know what these are and where these wires go to??

th_Picture081.jpg

th_Picture082.jpg

that is the distributor the wires go to each cylinder and the center wire goes to the coil

yeah....

well i blew the headgasket in it. not a fun thing to do after getting ti driveable again. so right now i am against teh fence on what to do. pull the L20 out of my 78 and be down BOTH trucks, or just fix the L16 and wait till $$ comes in to do teh cab swap and then put the L20 in. oh waht to do.....

well i yanked the ehad tonight. and no i didn't jam the tensioner. i had it jammed but the chain kept loging itself between the head and what i was using to lodge the tensioner. so i said fuck it. i was planning on doing the timing chain anyway while i was in that far.

oh when i got the head off, it looked as though the gasket at #4 was egg shaped. is that normal??? that was the only odd one. might account for the low comp reading i got off that cylinder. heres my #s. motor cold

#1. 185

#2. 185

#3. 175 (still good)

#4. 95 (not good at all. 90 PSI lost)

so now its time to gather parts. not a happy camper about this as i was, once again, going to take this little beast to teh NWDE meeting. oh well, i still ahve the bucket.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well i have finished up the motorswap and have been driving it around for a few days now. shes got power, i'll give her that. clutch is weird, choke doesn"t work right yet, and i have a nasty exhaust leak. but all in all i am VERY happy on how it turned out. a good mix of L16 and L20 parts and everything bolted up fine and works great.

i ran teh GM HEI electronics and it works great as well. i really wasn't expecting how well it worked.

• 1 month later...

i know i havent been keeping this updated, but i have done a few other things to it. i swapped out my hood, due to selling it, and swapped my bench seat BACK in as my buckets killed my back. soon though i need to fix a bunch of stuff to keep it on the road. right now its wanting to pull left BADLY, and the brakes are pulling right. plus i have to fix the exhaust, replace the windshield (caught a rock on Monday), and figure out why my choke is being a bitch to use.

also if a mod wants to move this, feel free!

• 3 months later...

so this little shit, (my 14yo son. love him dearly but sometimes.....)

th_Picture280.jpg

wrecked my truck. pulled it into the back of my 75 Ramcharger.

th_Picture275.jpg

th_Picture276.jpg

th_Picture277.jpg

th_Picture278.jpg

th_Picture279.jpg

so with the help of ]2eDeYe, i was able to repair my truck. he had a bumper for me and i had a rusty, but straight fender. its not pretty but it works.

th_Picture178.jpg

th_Picture177.jpg

th_Picture176.jpg

th_Picture175.jpg

th_Picture174.jpg

i will post some new pics here tomorrow as its WAY to dark to get good ones right now. it is done and the little shit that wrecked it, helped put it back together, so hes now out of the doghouse. but he still owes me for the hardware to fix it. :)

2eDeYe' date='14 May 2010 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1273852674' post='303127']

Looks good, to bad they don't sell that blue in spray bombs. Guess you'll just have to finish it off in black :cool:

ahhh but they do.... if i can get the proper paint code, i can have the paint mixed and put in a spray can. already ahd that done for my marquis.

but for now it will go black. when i get the cab fixed and a new bed, it will go back to the blue.