new guy with a 620

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been thinking bout your L-16 Phleb but gas to get teh 400+ miles round trip would not be cheap. but i will keep it in mind.

i should run another pressure test on the oil system. last time i did one though my hot oil pressure was at about 20 PSI if memory served. i will also take a new filter ans cut the one on the truck open. i have a spare Ford one that i can put on. that will also give me just enough oil loss to run a bottle of Lucas through and hopefully calm things down.

2eDeYe;86269']12lbs? Nice' date=' extra flow must boost the pressure a bit. :cool:

Still the same cold?[/quote']

The max pressure is the same as the old about 55 when cold or revved up when hot. Cheap insurance and peace of mind. The hi volume pump is the one to have if you shim the spring too.

• 4 weeks later...

i just scored some new rear wheels for the truck. i THINK they are 15x10s. the hub was too small to fit a 4x yota axle so i figured they would fit my datsun. if they do i am gonna have some MEAT in the rear fo my truck. damn i might need some badass flairs if they actually fit right. oh and talk about dish. uber sechsee!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

i finally found some mud flaps for the truck today. one isn't perfect but it'll do for a daily. the other looks damn near perfect. i'll clean em up and see how they look. i also snagged some other little shit out at the yard. not much was saveable off the 620 though that was out there. kinda sad. :( OH does anyone know if the 4th switch will work as a reverse light switch? i have a good 4th switch but the reverse is bad. both mine and the one from the yard.

i got some neat goodies from a buddy of mine. he sprung to get me some parts for the Datsun so i owe him bigtime. BUT on to the list of goodies.... all of which came off a 79 620.

Weber carb with manifold and adapter plate

Matchbox EI dizzy

electric fuel pump

adjustable FPR

dual filter oil filter setup with bracket and adapter plate

and last but not least..... factory radio blockoff plate.

now to get the rebuild kit, some new nuts for the carb base, and mounting gaskets and i'll have a SWEET carb setup on my little L-16 :D

OMFG!!!!!! i just put in the matchbox dizzy, an EASY upgrade, although i did run it through the points coil and resistor, it runs so much smoother! i also did a LONG overdue tune up and valve cover gasket. i drove her all over hells half acre today and she drove nice but liked to sputter and just be a royal PITA. now its nice and smooth. plus i added a QUART of GL to the trans. oops.....:unsure: oh well shes runnin like a top now. thank god. tomorrow i get the gaskets for the Weber and can get that installed as well. :)

• 2 weeks later...

well update time. i got the weber working but its in need of more repair. the main throttle shaft bushings are DONE. but what ever. i need the truck to run. the other day the throttle kept sticking on me. so tonight i adjusted the order of the peices for the throttle lever and bent my cable bracket to wline up properly. i also added another spring to the mix and now it seems to work beautifully. idles at 850 RPM give or take 50 RPM, and seems to get GREAT mileage, i'll know saturday how well it actually is.

also i amy ahve figured out HOW to wire in those "euro" tail lights off ebay. if someone has a 620 tail light i can get a pic of? with the wiring and connectors? the only spare i have i clipped the ends off to wire into mine.

well i found out in roughly 200 miles it eats through a tank of gas with the weber. roughly 20mpg. that sucks ass!!!! but i have a nasty fealing my little L16 isn't going to last much longer. she started knockin a little louder on my way back from tdaaj's place on saturday. i wish i had been there sooner and may be picked up a good motor but oh well. thats life. i also have a feeling the carb is screwed up. i think the main throttle shaft bushings are gone. i really DONT want to have to put my old craptastic Hitachi back on but if i have to i will. i am thinking for now though an oil change with straight 30w will help and a bottle of Lucas. i jsut need the truck to last me till i get my jetta going again then i can start gutting it for repairs.

my plans for the truck ahve changed a bit since i got it. i will NOT be running my wagon wheels but a set of chrome steel slotted mags, Empi mirrors (already installed), a subaru justy rear veiw mirror, a modded center console with CD player (if it will fit after cutting it up), still want a 5spd but i REALLY need one that will bolt in place of my short tail 4spd, 74+ front clip, L18 or L20b (whichever i can find for cheap or free), full flairs and front spoiler (yes they will be Steroids peices), new floor pans and a full repaint.

since i have a core support sitting i might have to see if i can install a set of fog lights behind the grille. if not then i really need to find a place to mount them. its hard enough seeing with the moon beams we call headlights. and the fog its even worse.

i lost the clutch today and the trans is leaking BAD. its definatley transmission time. this sucks ass. i need wheels quickly so my halfassed caddy is gonna be hitting the road hopefuly tomorrow. shift linkage rebuild AGAIN. what fun.

• 1 month later...

i jsut ordered my clutch today. total cost of $89. my wife got a bigger check than expected so..... my datsun should be on the road soon. YAY!!!!! now i just need to get teh input shaft seal, my new clutch slave and i think we will be in business! hell im ight even ahve a nice warm shop to work on it in, if i get dude cabriolet running right between today and tomorrow.

yup. thats almost exactly like mine. but my PP has more "fingers" i think. shouldn't take me more than a few hours to install it either. but this will be #1 trans of 3 i have to pull this week. after mine i have 2 others, in rabbits, i have to pull and do clutch repairs on.

• 4 weeks later...