new guy with a 620

so far so good. the brakes are doing their job and no issues. there are some things though i still ahve to work on. the Weber needs rebuilding. I will be having my son rebuild it. he's 15 and will needs the experience to rebuild the Holley 4160 in his 68 Dart. although the Holley would be better for learning to rebuild, hell his MOM can rebuild the 4160 and has, i think the Weber is a better choice.

also i repaired one of my wheels. it was leaking BAD, to teh tune of going flat in 3 days. so it got dismounted and i cleaned up the wheel lip with my wire wheel. so far so good. maybe i should cleear coat them after cleaning up the rust. also i think this winter, since i did a quick and sh**y job of painting it, i will pull it in to the carport and do it right.

oh does anyone have an underhood light for a Z? the retractable one???

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

well the other day this little beast gave me a fit that pissed me off. it started running like crap. what the issue was, was a bad coil wire. well when that started failing it caused a cylinder to oil foul. well once it fouled it started running like ass. new wires later, after being pissed off and flogging the hell out of my truck, its now running like a champ again. i think the coil power actually cleaned the plug, along with the unburned fuel helped it run better. go figure!

• 8 months later...

Underhood light, the z's up until the 280zx still had the light that you would have to wrap the wire around the stud.

I haven't put this in yet, but I took one out of a GM truck. It is quite boxy but does have the reel you wind to pull the wire in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gm-truck-retractable-hood-light-chevy-oem-trouble-light-rat-rod-/251024789883#ht_500wt_717

You can get them for a lot less at a salvage yard and a lot more of them out there.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

as of last night i figured out why this truck is running like shit. the idle mixture screw went AWOL on me. no where to be found. yay...... plus i think the 4spd is dying. i went to hit 3rd on my way to Seattle last night and it went into gear but nothing happened. out and back into 3rd and it started working but i don't know how much longer this is gonna work. i gotta get teh red truck going so i can tear this one down. 

• 2 years later...

hot damn its been a while...... as of right now the clutch setup is frozen. its frozen bad enough to flex the firewall as i hit the pedal. i think its either the master, slave or a clogged line. no matter what though, it should be a fairly easy fix once i get the line removed from the old master.

on a plus side, the truck started after 6 months or so of sitting. took a while but she started and sounded good for a beat motor. i did get her moved from where she was up next to the evil one so i can compare where things are and where they should go on D. hopefully it will help in putting D back on the road. 

• Like 1