new guy with a 620

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah. i totally forgot bout em. $$s been tighter than expected. i'llsee wahts left in the pal and well go fromt ehre.

just pm me your address and there off, moneys tight here too, i know what its like. maybe i'll get a hookup later when i need it too. dont worry about the 10, lol

got a radiator in all the hoses hooked up wiht a spare rad in holding just in case and the freaking oil pressure light wont go out. i just replaced teh sensor and it went off when i moved it yesterday. now it wont. i really need to get this truck going and cant afford to ahve to yank the motor. i dont have time for this crap. if i yank the motor, that L16 is NOT going back in. and neither is the 4spd. i have an oil pressure tester that i might ahve to bust out and see if its actually readign 0 or not. if it isn't then the sensor is bad. oh and i got a couple goodies today. i found a near perfect grille WITH trim rings. its getting cleaned up and painted black tehn the rings are going back on as well as a refreshed emblem. the rest of the truck may look like ass but the grille wont! :D

i think it was just a abd sensor. book says anywhere between 11 PSI and 40PSI at idle. its sitting, after running for about 12 hour or so at operation temp, at 25 PSI but it did drop from 40 when it was cold. i am thinking it was just a bad sensor. i will be doing an oil change soon as i have never done one on this truck. 20w50 with a enw filter. and not Fram cause Fram sucks ballz. also i have found a couple leaks in the rad i have but it seems like they should be fixable. the 2 that i noticed, once warm pretty much stopped.

today i foudn i have only 1 leak in the rad. a small crack in the top tank. abotu 12 inch long. other than that it holds water and pressure so i am good to go. would JBweld hold that crack together and be able to hold the pressure??? as for the rest of the truck i put the grille in, front valance, adn front bumper. when i pulled the valance originally i broke some bolts. i was working on pulling them but i need the truck NOW so i just went cheap. i went about installing the screws that i got out but whatever wasn't going to be useable i held together with self tapping screws. it works! just looks craptastic. oh well. also the trim rings on the grille had some broken tabs. so like any self respecting VW owner would do, i zip tied them in place. 4 per ring. it actualy doesn't look bad. kinda looks cool on the black grille. the only thing i havent done yet is install my front turn signals. i found i have 3 good lenses and one broken one. guess what? 3 perfect RIGHT lenses..... and a broken left. go figure. i cant win for loosing i guess.

whatever works man. yeah i am still working on getting it going right. an 80+ mile trip and she kinda held together. i have a weird clicking noise now when i drive. and only when i move. so tomorrow i am hoping the weather holds and i can lift the ass end up so i can check on it. the rear diff was serviced about 2 months ago so that, i hope, is not the issue. it has about 125 miles if that on the service. so the only things i can think of is that maybe my trans is making noise which i hope is not the case. BUT my little trip was a good one. it made it there and back with only the clicking being the only issue. it never got over 12 way on the temp guage. and i am now sure that i have a bad sensor for the oil pressure. also i am thinking that the front end needs some major work. i was getting a NASTY vibration at about 60-65 and she liked to wander a bit more than i liked. so it seems i have a little work to do before i can make this a good reliable driver but as of now i am pleased wiht what i have done so far. timet o put my nose to the grindstone again.

also i am thinking that the front end needs some major work. i was getting a NASTY vibration at about 60-65 and she liked to wander a bit more than i liked. .

Dude every SixTwenty I have had has a vibration @ around 60:blink: Any Year 73, 76,78, 79....It dont matter! It seems that the skinnier the front tires the less it does it tho.

its easy to do. hell i had never done it and it was teh almost the easiest thing i had done. i have a lot of things still to do on my datto but i am slowly getting it together. i still need to change the fusebox, find a couple leaks, fix the brakes, adjust the front end again and figure out where my newest rattle is. all in all it comming along. not as fast as i would like but fast enough to keep it on the road while my rabbit truck is OOC. and it will stay on the road as my hauler even after i get my rabbit put together. this wont be a show truck by any means but it will be nice enough to take to shows and still work. anyone got a good bed they dont want anymore??? :D

well found out today my truck is in need of a carrier bearing and insolator. what fun. i am now down to just my passat, which i dont want to drive for fear of damaging the head (interferance motor) due to timing chains, my marquis (bad tabs and no $$) and my pathfinder. the path though my wife needs for work. what fun......

since i cant drive the truck right nwo i figured i would check on a few other things that were not working on the truck. choke and the dome light. got the dome light to work after adjusting the holder for the bulb. the choke on the other hand is a bit more complicated. the heater relay is not working and even jumped i htink the heater coil in the choke is gone. no action waht so ever. i am about ready to go manual choke on it and be done with it. ideas on where to get a conversion kit for my carb??? also i think its running RICH. i can smell gass even when its off and sitting. thats another day though. today i am not really in the mood to F around with this damn truck anymore. so yeah tahts that for today.

well i got a little work done today. installed a new manual choke kit, ran a comp test (my kid actually did it), and attempted to tear apart the driveline.

the #s we got on the comp test were #1, 150, #2 160, #3 155, and #4 160. not bad #s for a 35 year old truck. i will be doing one warm once i get the driveline reinstalled.

the manual choke setup seems to work good. but the drive line is really pissing me off. the u-joints are all rusted in and not even a vice can get em out. and i think i may have screwed up the threading for the nut that holds the drive flange on the 2nd half of the drive shaft. i forgot to undent the nut and chewed up the last few threads. i hope i can salvage it but i dunno. this sucks.

drive line is rebuilt with the exception of hte carrier bearing. i ahve to wait for my nuts to come in from Nissan. i also replaced the oil pressure sensor AGAIN so hopefully the light will actually work. i am also going to be doing an oil change, lube job, redo my vapor barriors on both doors, and if i can fix the shifter so its not so loose. if i could find the proper cable to fix the e-brake i would love to but it seems a 77 has a different setup than my 73 does. would it be possible to swap setups???

today was spent D&R my cooling system, and starting to go through the brakes. god i HATE LES SCHWAB!!!!!!! those idiots, not my doing but 2 owners ago, screwed up doing the brakes.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=5790

if you read that you'll undeerstand why. now i need MORE parts to get my truck on the road. this sucks ass! i need it going NOW but i have to wait MORE! i guess i am just screwed for now. this sucks. so for now i dont have any brakes on the pass side rear. BUT to keep the wheel cylender from coming apart i ziptied it together. :D sorry bout venting on this but it was needed.

:( i dropped my truck and destroyed my jack stands. this sucks. BUT i did get teh [arts from nissan today so the DL is back in and ready to go. i also got the rear brakes reinstalled PROPERLY! now i gotta readjust tehm so they work. i will be doing some other work here shortly but it will take some more parts.

yesterday i went and picked up the rear end from ]2eDeYe and it came with good shocks and drop blocks. soon enough my truck will get dropped. hopefully all will be able to be done shortly. just need new U bolts so i can run the new blocks. :D:D:D:D:D soon enough, tomorrow, i will be back on the road with it. cant wait!!!!

made another trip to and from seattle with very little problems. still need to bleed the brakes but at least i am not bottoming out the pedal now trying to stop. all in all though she ran good. cant complain in the least.

checked the timing again today. oil pump drive shaft looked to be in the proper clocking but i think the dizzy is not in the best of shape. timed it to 10* and she fired up great. ran good, good throttle response. i will know tomorrow how she runs on the freeway. also i think the vac advacne is pretty well shot. its all rusted to hell and i dont even think it move right. i couldn't find my vac pump so i was unable to test it. i also found out my advance points were shot. so i swapped em with the retard set and took the bridge wire out so the retard set is isolated. found out a business card is the perfect thickness called for to gap the points. .020 to be exact. spec is .018-.022 . hope fully it will last me for a while.