new guy with a 620

used. got it from tdaaj on here. he swapped it for the one i picked upf rom him last weekend. that one was way to big and this one matches the mesurements that i made. so its all taken care of. i will most likely have it recored here soon but as long as it holds and doesn't let me pop the HG i am in good shape!

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

any decent radiator shop should beable to take teh rad apart, put in new cooling rows, and weld it all back together. hence recoreing. its like installing a new heatercor but having teh top and bottom stay the old stuff.

so you reuse the ends....either the top and bottom, or the left and right? and you just fill the middle with "core" at whatever length you need? so does core just come in "sheets" of sorts in different widths and thicknesses and they just cut to fit and weld it in? wow, that cool...i feel like im watching how it's made, lol

thats about right for something like that. i have seen rads go for over $500. but its at Performance Radiator and should be heading to their test facility tomorrow. i will knwo whats up in teh next few days.

DWN, what can be done as far as repairing a radiator changes for the old copper/brass rads compared to the new plastic/aluminum and the all aluminum. Very uncommon to get a plastic tanked radiator repaired, just throw it away and get a new one. rads that are all aluminum will depend on the rad shop and the severity of the repair, they do not recore those. The radiators that we are having repaired are a copper/brass combination and are soldered together, tanks soldered to the core. These can be taken apart at the solder and cleaned internally. and/or a new core installed between the cleaned tanks.

Hope you learned a little about the old vs. new radiators

Jason

Well I'm having this radiator problem right this instant! My 620 originally came with a 2 core radiator and a l18. So I went to the pick and pull and found what looked like a good 3 row rad from a newer 620. I went to get it cleaned and left my old 2 row one in the pick and pull as a core. When I arrived to receive my new clean radiator, I was showed that the radiator was useless and completely rotted. The owner told me that if I wanted to re core it, It would cost me 150 for the new lines. Fuck that! luckily I bought warranty and returned it to the pick and pull but now I have no radiator!!!! I Bought a 1976 Datsun 620 Rad from Autozone for 140 new, but I know it wont fit my 74. Autozone don't sell Rads for 620's 1974 and below. So I guess I will have to cut my firewall and make this 3 row fit.

today i got my hinges , for the most part, straightened out so now i have a hood that wont fall off on me. all i need now is a couple of bolts to hold it in. also i pulled the seat out and pulled up the mat. the rust is pretty bad BUT only through in 2 places. the drivers floor is swiss cheese but the passenger side is just a mass of surface rust. i also set in my bucket seat on teh drivers side and sat in it. i like them alot. also found out why my shifter is loose. the bushings are shot. just like Pumpkn210 was sayin. so i have some more work tod o but hey, all in all its in decent shape.

well got a call yesterday about my radiator. its shot as well. the core AND the tanks are done. he told me he could build me a rad for.... $600!!!! i told him i paid less for the truck. oh well, so i bought a garbage radiator. BUT it was $$ well spent BECAUSE it gives me the measurements and template to modify a later rad 74+ to bolt into my truck. so yeah. oh and my kid washed it today. i REALLY need some window scrapers for the doors and to reseal the vapor barriers.

Well.... today I got a thermostat and gasket. I also tried ALL the parts houses around here to try and find that sensor. No luck of course. Its frustrating sometimes owning something this old and trying to get it to DD status. Oh well. I'l make it work.

Next time(yeah I know..NEXT time)...try Rockauto.com...3 core radiator for a 79 is $114 bucks..........................................and it will fit into the older (straight core support) trucks...might be approx 1 inch wider at the bolt holes, but a little Datsun ingenuity will rectify that................the fit is good and yes with an L20b in there the clearance at the fan is a little closer, but, as I said it will fit and does work.

Sounds like your having similar issues on yours as i did on my 74 620. One thing after another seems like! Go slow & eventually youll work out the bugs. This kind of maintenance is usually caused by years of abuse by the PO's & now it's up to you to fix it all :D BTW i like the blue, id buff it out & call it good [Hainz]

Next time(yeah I know..NEXT time)...try Rockauto.com...3 core radiator for a 79 is $114 bucks..........................................and it will fit into the older (straight core support) trucks...might be approx 1 inch wider at the bolt holes, but a little Datsun ingenuity will rectify that................the fit is good and yes with an L20b in there the clearance at the fan is a little closer, but, as I said it will fit and does work.

thats what i ahve seen. i might just go with rockauto and see what their quality is like. i guess i wont b eable to have ti fully line up with the mounting holes but hey. ya do waht ya gotta do i guess.

Sounds like your having similar issues on yours as i did on my 74 620. One thing after another seems like! Go slow & eventually youll work out the bugs. This kind of maintenance is usually caused by years of abuse by the PO's & now it's up to you to fix it all :D BTW i like the blue, id buff it out & call it good [Hainz]

yeah PO's SUCK that way dont they. i REALLY like this truck so i am hopeing to get it to a point i can daily it. now daily driving for me is USUALLY around town. every once in a while though i do make some good freeway shots. so i need this baby reliable.

oh an yeah. i will be buffing the paint to see how bad it really is. eventually it will get a respray back in the original color. anyone know what color code this is??? or where i can find it? the tag is pretty much cleaned off and theres no trace of the code anymore.

I just looked up the invoice on my Rockauto Radiator..with shipping to Chino, Cal. it was $123 bucks...It is still in the box..I have taken it out to check the measurements, but, not installed as yet...It does look close as far as the fan is concerned...I MAY opt to install an electric fan on the outside...dunno at the moment...

When I got mines installed. It looks like it has one inch clearance from fan to radiator. Of course I don't have the water pump with the fan clutch. Just the regular 4 blade one... It even seems that I could install the fan shroud...

well today was a productive yet LONG day. went down to portland to trade a carb for some body panels, lacey, and tacompton and came home with 4 wheels, a 2 front valance panels (one for my truck and one for my buddys jetta), cowl panel, hood hinges, heater box and exhaust for his jetta. all this went INTO my 93 Passat GLX 4dr. it was an interesting drive home to say the least. but all in all i got when i needed to get so hopefully tomorrow i can start swapping parts around.

i am currently painting the dash since the cracks have been repaired. its going flat black as that way i wont have glare. i have already removed the old dash and i am painting the metal to match the dash pad. hopefully soon i can afford to put a tach in here as well so i know what kind of damage i am doing.

the list of parts i still need are.....

radiator (still)

parking brake cables

temp switch for the 2nd set of points or an EI conversion

drop blocks (3 inch)

heater hoses

tune up stuffs

fuel line from filter to fuel pump

rebuild kit for the hitachi carb

new tail lights (amber/red/clear), bumper/tail light housings, and front marker lights (clearamber)

and a bed front.

all in all its not a lot of work just time consuming.