If life gives you Bondo, Paint that shit Banzai!

Heya Ratsun people, I have fun short story about some ridiculous P.O. repairs and funny friends & funky fixes! I picked up my 70' Dime about 3 years ago with a fancy paint job & custom body work. That was about all she had though, no windows, interior and a UGLY engine. Well I have fixed up just about everything now, However a while back some tool hit my rear quarter panel in a parking lot and took off. I knew my car had a significant amount of bondo on her but this really showed her true colors. The hit didnt dent as much as it just 'cracked' and pushing on it I could see over 1/2" of bondo there :blink: :huh: Not wanting to dig into it jut yet, I smeared some silicone on the crack and have been driving her like that for a year or so.

A couple weeks ago I was driving down I-5 with a friend. We looked in the next lane Frank was driving down to work, on a whim I followed him to his job and we bullshited with him for a while. He has been giving me shit about my 'Scar Car' for a long time and he says 'you need to fix that scar' walks over and shoves his fingers into the crack an RIPS the entire scab off!

Scar1.jpg

Scar2.jpg

Scar3.jpg

Scar4.jpg

Nasty rusted water and funk came bursting out just like a real infected wound! We all had a good laugh and now I don't have a choice but to do something about it! I don't currently have a shop or real space to do all the work I need to, So I decide to just clean out the rust and put some paint on to seal it for now. Halfway through I got inspired to try a 'rattle can rising sun' just for fun.

Cleaned out the cancer:

Scar5.jpg

I decided to cheat on the rising sun and printed out a image of the rising sun marked the lines and put a little pray adhesive on the back.

sun1.jpg

sun2.jpg

sun3.jpg

Sprayed on the black:

sun4.jpg

Viola!

sun5.jpg

sun6.jpg

I am quite happy with it as a temporary fix and my first rattle can paint job! To top the story off though, Frank took the scab that came off and it is parading it around to the local auto parts places as a trophy :lol:

scab.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kudos guys! In total it cost $15 in rattle can & about 3 hours of work for the Ratsun band-aid :cool:

I don't know why so many people think bondo is a good idea for replacing huge amounts of metal... My roadster had the same issue, but the PO managed to get it an inch thick in one spot.

WOW! I thought I was taking the title with 1/2" - 3/4" thick. I cant wait to really dig into her and get most of the filler off the frame. I swear shes faster without the weight from that big 'pat' of bondo :lol:

What color blue is that btw?

Not sure what actual 'color' my dime is, I bought it with the paint and when I went to wesco to get it matched they wanted to charge me $100 and he said the metal flake would not be the same. I picked up some Rustoleum 'metallic blue' It matches my paint fairly well, It is a slight bit purple compared to my paint. I did my best to fade it in.

Can you even drive it at that ride height??? .... . .. . .. . or is it still on jack-stands? ... .. :lol: ...... . the sun looks good.... :cool:

I know, I know! I would dig the look of it lower but its my DD and function is more useful than form. :P Frank gives me shit every time he sees me for my 4x4 510 :D Speaking of low I was telling Frank about this post and he asked me to post up some pics of Jeff's new lowering job and I quote: "Ha Ha Thrillin Dillon I'm lower than you!"

wulf1.jpg

wulf2.jpg

Thanks for the kudos guys! In total it cost $15 in rattle can & about 3 hours of work for the Ratsun band-aid :cool:

WOW! I thought I was taking the title with 1/2" - 3/4" thick. I cant wait to really dig into her and get most of the filler off the frame. I swear shes faster without the weight from that big 'pat' of bondo :lol:

normal_Fairlady5.JPG

I'd suggest a heat gun or blow torch and a scrapper. Stinks like no tomorrow, but shit will melt off and peal off.

normal_Fairlady5.JPG

I'd suggest a heat gun or blow torch and a scrapper. Stinks like no tomorrow, but shit will melt off and peal off.

Sounds like a bad idea. Say hello to warped panels. They all have bondo my friend. But not 1" thick haha