Ca. Blue Plates

Well I'm going to try and register my truck hopefully next week and here is my dilema... My truck dropped out of Ca. DMV system because it hasn't been registered since 1989... It still has the blue plates on it and I'm thinking of trying to be a little sneaky to keep them... I'm thinking of ordering new vanity plates with the same letter/numbers as the blue plates and then when they come in put the stickers on the old plates...

Anybody tried anything like this?

Is there anyway a cop can tell on your registration that the plates are supposed to be white instead of blue or that it is supposed to be a vanity plate?

Just an idea...

Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

u dont have to do that, when u go do it u shood be able to register blue plate to it since it came with them. ask them " if i find a set of blue plates that are out of the system can i still register them to the truck" dont tell em u already have em. see wat they say and if no then get sneaky. i dont think it will say wat color ur plate is supposed to be. if u have "aaa" they will ususally help u out a lil more than the dmv

Two options. You can bring whatever paperwork you have and the truck to the DMV and ask to reinstate the plates. Or, you can surrender the plates and request a new set of vanity plates with the same number/letter set. Old plates will have to be surrendered to get the new plates. You just might get away with requesting the "I have been told that this plate set has been retired and is available for reissue as a vanity plate" approach and show the old paperwork showing that the truck once had [but now presumably has lost] this plate number approach. Might work.

I've been hearing that its getting harder and harder to keep the blue plates. I'd be kind of firm with them if you can. A friend tried to register his 240 and they told him he couldnt keep them, but I didnt think that was right.

maybe call a couple DMV offices in that area and ask...aka play dumb.

I have heard that if you have old registration with the plate number and your vin number showing that the plate was on the car you can do it.

I have tried making vanity plates to match plate number and it has told me that you can not make a plate with number in a sequence of a standard plate or something like that. You can makle vanity plates online at the dmv website. When you do it will tell you if the number is good or not.

I have tried making vanity plates to match plate number and it has told me that you can not make a plate with number in a sequence of a standard plate or something like that.

correct. something not 3 letter & 3 numbers.

i may go the vanity plate direction later.

im assuming you do not have the title.

w/o any paperwork showing that they were the original issued plates, and you need both, you now have a hassle :angry:

complete the form saying you are a collector (of vintage japanes cars) and hope the cougar IS in a good mood.

i was allowed to keep mine.

a few months later the PO found the pink slip :rolleyes:

in CA the plates belong to the car, not an entity, like other states.

correct. something not 3 letter & 3 numbers.

i may go the vanity plate direction later.

im assuming you do not have the title.

w/o any paperwork showing that they were the original issued plates, and you need both, you now have a hassle :angry:

complete the form saying you are a collector (of vintage japanes cars) and hope the cougar IS in a good mood.

i was allowed to keep mine.

a few months later the PO found the pink slip :rolleyes:

in CA the plates belong to the car, not an entity, like other states.

A couple days ago I saw a newer Mercedes wagon on the freeway with blue plates. They didn't look like anything you'd typically see as vanity plates...kind of odd

In washington state you can register a colecter vehicle with the type of plate that was being issued at the time the car/truck was manufactured and licensed, like in 1967 we had white with green figures, the plate doesn't have to be specific to the car itself, just the era. I ran across a plate collector that was able to find me a 67 era plate with the 67 tags for my 67 roadster.