Datsun 620 show truck selling for a friend

hosestop@msn.com

The next hardest thing I've been trying all this morning to do (and now afternoon too!!) is locate another Cibie bulb. I still have what is left of the old bulb and it is marked K5. If I cannot find one, possibly 4 rectanlular headlights will be changed out but Using Chevy Monza bezels (like Bill Lizotte's truck had) instead of My usual choice of the Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme bezels.

Lizotteflamerlights.jpg

By the way, this photo also shows what I was talking about in filling the license plate area on the bumper.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This truck is a rare find ! We've all discussed whats become of all the old show trucks & bam all of a sudden this one pops up! It's really held up ok over all the years it just sat & im sure Mike will bring it back. I just hope i can make it over there to help /drive it ;) Mike..if you ever get tired of the carbs lemme know :D

Mike, what ever happened to that 4x4 show truck that you bought?

About his truck, to bother trying to bring back a former show truck, i kinda think that i needs to look very close to its original build. I do like the idea of the front bumper, and really dislike the monza or cutlass light system. i think the early 620 grill looks better. But that cibie grill is VERY different and i like that, keep looking for that other light.

About the paint, like the color change idea, could the color lines flow better, the edges are sharp changes and the 620 is so round, edges flow smoothly, can the colors edges flow smoothly also. What about bringing the strips across the back down low at the tailights?

Jason

• 4 weeks later...

OK, guys........... an update on W W. I took it to MVD right after bringing it home and am having a little trouble registering it. So that kinda' shoved it to the back burner. Today, though, I downloaded it (finally) from the trailer after changing the oil and filter first. I then did a few things and fired it up. As You saw in Mark's video, We both fired up trucks today with "twins"!! Next is some brake work hopefully Saturday and try again to tackle getting it registered. I'd really love to cruise around in it this summer. It's do-able but might take a couple of months. Also, I might have finally decided what to do with the frontend. It is rusted underneath more than I thought. I found this out when it was on the trailer and I totally went under it to see what it looked like. If You go on http://www.the620.com and look at 70s flashback area You will see a truck called Inside Moves. I might (repeat, MIGHT) try to mold in a wrapkit front spoiler somehow to the front fenderflares. I am pretty sure that I will put a bumper back on the frontend, though. But if You look closely at Inside Moves, You will see that Eric molded in the bumper to the rest of His frontend. Maybe I'll do something like that. We'll see. By the way, Eric was at JCCS last October and is into 510 wagons now. I called Him when I found Wasserman's Wonder but He didn't want it. He knows though that I bought it. Frontend wise, they were pretty close weren't they?

I like the look of "inside moves" but "WW" is a more flatter style of air dam. If it were me id repair the rust it has now & repaint it maybe the same colors or at least prime it until you decide how it will look then install a chrome bumper. & honestly w/ a bumper in place the rust is barely visible & unless it's falling off leave it for the summer & fix it later.

If You can believe it, that stick shift knob is still on it!! Today I cleaned the gas tank, connected the lines with a HUGE filter that I'll only run for about a week or so and moved it back and forth under it's own power. After about 15 moves with quick stops and popping the clutch (it even chirps the tires!!) I then removed the gas tank drain plug and ran about a gallon through a stocking (don't tell My wife....... she will have to figure out why ONE is missing!!!) and replaced the plug. A new locking gas cap and break work Saturday and it's ready to rock! I plan to try to sand it and rattle-can it with clear. The hood will be changed out with one I had louvered for the other blue truck project. Next I'll see how it looks with the Permacast rims I have and (sorry to those of You that hate them) I plan to install Monza bezels with rectangular headlights. The next delima (besides the MVD problem) is what to put on the personalized plate. remember, it's a 1974

70 show because it WAS a truck shown in the 70s

W wnder

W W 620

620Wndr

wwonder

74 dats

sho agn show again, (back from retirement!!)

Those options are available. Maybe one of You guys have a cool one!!

• 1 month later...

Hainz, Take a look at the ebay photos posted above. That is the EXACT set I installed in Choptana. See where the red "oil bottle" or "glue bottle" cap was placed? That is the second size port which is in the Cannon intake. I was going to use a much larger brass fitting and run the crankcase exhaust to that fitting. See in the #4 intake that He already had the brake line ran? I will leave it that way. So what is left is a place for the distributor. I can just barely see in Your red 510 photo where Your line is going. Any way to enlarge that area on the photo? Thanks again!!

mike switch to the dual h/lites, u know i'm a fan of duals, just look at my lil orange, clean up the graphic's,keep her retro with a few upgrades..:D, nice score, can't wait to see what u do, like the idea for front bumper, and the rear also, glad u got her, your the man to do the job correctly,:D L8R tom

• 3 weeks later...

I know We are not supposed to "talk" on the gallery photo threads, but I couldn't help but notice two photos. On post #27 3 photos down, look closely. I didn't remember Wasserman's Wonder WITHOUT a camper shell. But that sure looks like it's graphics. Can You post ONLY that photo here? Also, on post 26, 10 rows down. That sure looks like My old kingcab sitting next to the black Ford Courier. If so, that was taken in 1978 at a Southern California Mini Truck Council run. I don't have a dash plaque from that run so I do not have the exact date.

• 6 months later...

Well, after all this time I finally traded out the Appliance wheels that were always on Wasserman's Wonder with the Permacasts that I've had. Basically the rim and tire size is the same: 15" X 10" in the rear and 14" X 7" in the front. It looks very cool!! Next will be to mount the sidepipes that I got off of Ebay and hook them up. After that, the frontend will be addressed. I'll post pictures in a few days but trust Me, it looks a lot better now!!

Of course I did.

Save EVERYTHING!!!! (You guys ARE paying attention!!!)

The Permacasts are just a little wider than the Appliance wheels, so the rear tire is touching the fender flare. What would be BEST would to have them professionally "shaved" on a giant lathe or at a machine shop so that they are 1/4" inward against the hub. What I will do instead is to remove one of the lowering blocks to raise the rearend up about an inch or so. He had stacked two 2" lowering blocks in the back on top of each other. Also, the springs are "flat" with two removed. I can possibly add the springs again that are missing to acheive some height.
It is crazy that the rear tires are exactly the same!! B.F. Goodrich T/A radials 275-50-15s. I don't know about freeway speeds, but they have survived good enough for Me to trailer the truck somewhere and drive locally at slower speeds. Pretty cool.

mike we need pictures, also in feb on the weekend of 21- 22, the show that art of noize throws is a 2 day show, here in phx..mike r u coming, some of my just us buddies will be here ..:D

OK. I promised pictures so here is how it will look now. I have ALWAYS loved Permacasts and was blown away at the difference in WW's look after putting them on! I plan someday to also do a photoshoot with them on Choptana (after detailing them first, though).

WWperm1.jpg

WWperm2.jpg

WWperm3.jpg

Notice how I have said that the lugnut holes are drilled on Permacasts BETWEEN the fins, where on Western and other turbine rims there is a smooth, flat area where the lugnuts go. This makes the Permacasts unique and (to Me) the coolest looking turbine rim ever made. The look is even better when the spaces between are painted.

Next on the list for WW is a louvered hood, 4 into 1 sidepipes, a wing on the camper shell and a total re-do on the frontend. I'm hoping it will be done by the time it starts warming up here. The hood and frontend will be primered, but hopefully done.

I read through this post yesterday and thought it was cool that a piece of the past is being saved with the restoration of this truck. Way to go!

I was thumbing through some old issues of Truckin' today and I came across these. Wierd coincidence I guess, but as soon as I saw these I knew they were the same truck. After reading the caption, turns out it is indeed the Wasserman. Sorry for the quality of the photos, I have a hard time taking close-ups with my digi-cam.

These look to be photos of the pick-up early in the customization stages snapped by the Truckin' staff at Reso '78. These were in the May '78 issue of Truckin'. I thought I'd post them up for everyone to check out. I'm posting them up through Photobucket, so hopefully you will be able to make them out. Enjoy! E

Truckin5-78p32a.jpg

Truckin5-78p32b.jpg

In this picture, the caption reads ........"Jay Wasserman is well on the way to completing the first Carrera Datsun (below). The air dammed front end looks good in primer."

Truckin5-78p32c.jpg