Datsun 620 show truck selling for a friend

hosestop@msn.com

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I figured out how to scan them. Now, how do I re-post them here? I've only used Photobucket to post images on most message boards. If you guys tell me how to do it, I'll re-post them.

Or, wait, I had a thought. If I e-mail them to somebody, can you post them? Let me know. Thanks........E

Hey guys,

I figured out how to scan them. Now, how do I re-post them here? I've only used Photobucket to post images on most message boards. If you guys tell me how to do it, I'll re-post them.

Or, wait, I had a thought. If I e-mail them to somebody, can you post them? Let me know. Thanks........E

He Steve (redeye) have him send them to you...He emailed me the pics and they came out real grainey...And I am just not the computer guy..I figure you are bleach could figure it out....

The next hardest thing I've been trying all this morning to do (and now afternoon too!!) is locate another Cibie bulb. I still have what is left of the old bulb and it is marked K5. If I cannot find one, possibly 4 rectanlular headlights will be changed out but Using Chevy Monza bezels (like Bill Lizotte's truck had) instead of My usual choice of the Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme bezels.

Lizotteflamerlights.jpg

By the way, this photo also shows what I was talking about in filling the license plate area on the bumper.

wished i had read this earlier, i have a pair of cibie lights.

Cool find. I have that issue so I'll have to dig it out. I wish that the Bob Hase collection could be scanned individually and at higher resolution. That picture that He took intrigues Me. It definately is WW after the paint was done, but without the camper shell. A walkthru conversion was done so it is rare to see it without the shell. I wonder why it was off that day. Any of You know how to seperately get His photos off of the council website?

Another update.......... Thursday I sandblasted an L16 exhaust manifold and painted heatproof silver. I have a header (which will be for sale) that I installed on W W now but it will be coming off so that the stock split exhaust can go to each side on the sidepipes. Hopefully it will go next week to the shop to have that done. Meanwhile, yesterday I removed the vintage roof wing spoiler off of My other Pacific Top shell and installed it on W W. I love how it looks now and wonder why Jay never mounted one years ago. When it goes into the shop for the sidepipe instalation, the frontend will be pulled off. I will have Rich re-weld what is missing (the front oval hole) from the core support and add the valance, then the spoiler. I have decided to make the frontend a cross between the Mini Vini and Eric's old truck "Inside Moves". This will flow much better with the metal fender flares. Also a stock bumper will somehow be put back on. I've got a couple of different ideas for that. The next photos You guys see will have the sidepipes in place. Stay tuned!! Don't touch that dial!!

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking through some old Truckin' magazines tonight and I came across this. In the March 1980 issue, there was a letter written by Jay Wasserman to Truckin' and they posted it in the Reader's Rap column. The photo was of Jay and a lady each holding a big trophy. I tried to enlarge it, but I'm still learning how to use my scanner and I couldn't get it to work. :(

The text reads:

A Wonder-ful Sale

First of all I would like to thank you for the terrific feature on my truck in your January 1980 issue (see Wasserman's Wonder Jan.80, page 50). The shot on the cover was great and so was the inside story.

I thought you might like to know that I am selling the truck. If you know anyone who is serious about buying it, they can call me at (714) 997-7727, and thanks again.

Jay Wasserman,

Orange, California

Thank you for your kind words Jay. I happened to pull out this photo we shot at the NAMTO Nationals in Lake Havasu when you walked away with all the gold. If anyone wants a really nice truck, they would love yours.

TheWasserman001.jpg

It really is something that this truck caused such a stir back when it was built. It is awesome that it has survived and Steroid is bringing it back to it's former glory. Amazing that Jay sent his phone number to a national publication and they actually printed it. I don't know if a magazine would do that nowadays.

If I shouldn't have posted the phone number here, the mods can edit it or let me know and I'll do it.

Anyway, a little more Wasserman history. The saga continues....................E

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I am bumping this thread forward as I have submitted for approval the display of Wasserman's Wonder at the Hot Rod Magazine 65th Anniversary Homecoming invitational show in Pomona, California this year. I need a little help though. I do know that Hot Rod Magazine featured mini trucks during the 70s and I have a few issues with these features in My collection. I can not remember if Wasserman's Wonder was one of these features though. I do know that it was featured in a sister Petersen's publication, Pickups & Mini Trucks at least once. There should be another P & MT issue that it was in to My recollection photographed at the N.A.M.T.O. Nationals in Lake Havasu in 1978. The help I need is: Do any of You have complete collections of Hot Rod issues from the late 70s and early 80s? If so, can You identify a specific year and month that this truck was in Hot Rod? I have begun looking through My collection but more eyes on the project would really help Me. Also, there are a few issues missing so You might have an issue I don't have and know if it was in that issue. I have stated in My request that it would be nice to see at least one, if not more, historic mini trucks in the show as they were definately included in Hot Rod's coverage a few times. They are looking for ANY vehicle known to have ever been in Hot Rod. This includes vans, VW's and such as well. 

This event will be March 23rd through 24th at the Fairplex on the Pomona Fairgrounds.

http://www.hotrod.com/eventcoverage/hrdp_1209_65th_anniversary_homecoming_show/

• 2 weeks later...

Today I spent 3 hours online trying to locate another Cibie bulb. I may just have done it, but with one glitch....... it is a Lucas bulb. It is now on hold though so I will compare dimensions and if correct, WW will be on it's way to a restoration. If the bulb fits the housing I will drift towards a total restoration and not change it in any way. I did change out the seats with 510 wagon buckets from Mark's old green goon but I feel as though they are period correct and the passenger's seat had only the tube frame these seats (also Datsun) will be what stay in the truck. I do not like the brown shag carpeting. I have some blue that would look much better and the brown original carpeting is aged. Stay tuned to see what direction this truck takes, I am pretty excited thinking that it once again might be shown as it was built. I still have not heard if it has been accepted for the Homecoming show in March. 

Well, Hot Rod Magazine just replied and as Wasserman's Wonder was not specifically in Their magazine, it has been declined for the show. Maybe one day Truckin' Magazine will consider a similar show and it can be brought out once again. I will progress forward though on replacing the one bulb, if one can be found. 

Hey Steroid I am trying to locate/ get info on marroon truck from same era , I have contact with builder, he lives in Victorville ,also says he knows previous owner to waserman who started blue truck build ,says his buddy did cut out and sold to other guy that flared and painted trans am 620 , I almost wish I could have kept and re- painted show truck but too many projects caused me and my buddy to sell it ,I found it like a year before guy sold it to us, anyway cool that you are getting on it ,later Brad.